Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 06:22 PM

260 posts, read 1,144,917 times

Advertisements

Sports fan here. So I'm from California and have heard all my life about how huge Texas football is. Of course, I'm all hyped to check it out and see the hubbub. Then I arrive and find that high schools in NISD don't even have their own stadiums. One of the best things about HS football was having a home and away game, walking onto another team's campus and knowing you were on their turf...not a neutral site.

Is this something peculiar to San Antonio or is this how Texas football is in large school districts all over the state? I mean, is NISD football authentic TEXAS football?

Disclaimer: Work hours (up to 100 per week) have precluded me from attending and I must admit I've been less interested in even going because of the above, but this year I'm GOING to make it a priority. Maybe then I'll understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 06:37 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDoc View Post
Sports fan here. So I'm from California and have heard all my life about how huge Texas football is. Of course, I'm all hyped to check it out and see the hubbub. Then I arrive and find that high schools in NISD don't even have their own stadiums. One of the best things about HS football was having a home and away game, walking onto another team's campus and knowing you were on their turf...not a neutral site.

Is this something peculiar to San Antonio or is this how Texas football is in large school districts all over the state? I mean, is NISD football authentic TEXAS football?

Disclaimer: Work hours (up to 100 per week) have precluded me from attending and I must admit I've been less interested in even going because of the above, but this year I'm GOING to make it a priority. Maybe then I'll understand.

Big cities tend to have a shared stadium, because it is just more cost effective. However you will hard pressed to find a small town without their own stadium.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:40 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
Seriously, NISD gets enough of my money! I sure don't want to build a stadium for every school, and I'm surprised they haven't asked.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:03 PM

545 posts, read 2,283,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Seriously, NISD gets enough of my money! I sure don't want to build a stadium for every school, and I'm surprised they haven't asked.
and NISD now has TWO stadiums...so does SAISD (but they still had to close 6 campuses this year, but don't get me started on that).

The whole shared stadium thing is a really sore subject out in Schertz, where I work. When they opened Steele, they decided that Clemens and Steele would share the stadium at Clemens, which is all decked out in blue and gold (Clemens colors).

Old 03-09-2008, 09:10 PM

127 posts, read 494,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
and NISD now has TWO stadiums...so does SAISD (but they still had to close 6 campuses this year, but don't get me started on that).

The whole shared stadium thing is a really sore subject out in Schertz, where I work. When they opened Steele, they decided that Clemens and Steele would share the stadium at Clemens, which is all decked out in blue and gold (Clemens colors).
That would have changed as Steele would have had their own stadium but last May voters turned out and voted AGAINST that part of the bond.

NEISD is building a second stadium for football as well as softball and baseball.

NISD already has 2 softball and 2 baseball fields.

These facilities are top notch.

But if you want to see some cream of the crop Texas High School Stadiums...check out these...

Cy-Fair Berry Center

Moderator cut: copyright issues

Last edited by da jammer; 03-09-2008 at 09:24 PM..

Old 03-09-2008, 09:13 PM

127 posts, read 494,891 times
Here is a pdf link to the new Judson ISD Stadium

Rutledge Stadium
http://sc.judsonisd.org/education/sctemp/d70f747dacd915a0ed4ba76ba5885df7/1205118745/JudsonStadiumRebuild.pdf (broken link)

Old 03-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
A handful of big games each year will fill the shared stadiums to capacity. Since there's no way the districts could afford to build stadiums that big at each high school, having the large shared stadiums to play in and the revenue from ticket sales they generate is a real benefit to the schools that play in those big games.

OP, you'll probably find these shared stadiums to be a little sterile compared to the stadiums you grew up with. Having gone to high school a couple of decades ago when all-weather tracks were a novelty, I still sometimes can't get my mind around the notion that high school teams get to play their home games in these huge artificial turf palaces.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:34 PM

796 posts, read 3,049,052 times
I don't know about the other high schools in comal isd, but I believe Smithson Valley has their own stadium.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:56 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
A handful of big games each year will fill the shared stadiums to capacity. Since there's no way the districts could afford to build stadiums that big at each high school, having the large shared stadiums to play in and the revenue from ticket sales they generate is a real benefit to the schools that play in those big games.

OP, you'll probably find these shared stadiums to be a little sterile compared to the stadiums you grew up with. Having gone to high school a couple of decades ago when all-weather tracks were a novelty, I still sometimes can't get my mind around the notion that high school teams get to play their home games in these huge artificial turf palaces.
Seriously! When I was playing ball in the Northeast, we played on Saturday's around noon. No Friday night games...we had no lights!! We were also lucky to get 200-300 people. It just wasn't a big event.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:42 AM

604 posts, read 1,871,401 times
every school does have their own stadium, and the Freshman and JV teams do go to each others schools and play etc etc, but 5A Varsity ball just draws so much people that they need bigger stadiums, and it's just easier and cheaper to build a few really good really big stadiums for the district to share, than to have all the high schools upgrade and maintain their own stadiums... And for districts like NISD, they need as much money as they can get- they're something like the 3 fastest growing district in Texas and they crank out a new High School every 2 years! I never minded sharing a stadium, it was still always a big event, especially if it was a playoff game against another school in the district!

(go Rams)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio