Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 03:20 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexarcat View Post

I don't like the taste of cilantro. <ducks behind a display of Rick Bayless' Green Chile Salsa> I can't help it. I'm one of Those People. I love pico del gallo, but without cilantro. There is one restaurant in town, I think it might be Blanco Cafe, that doesn't put cilantro in their pico.

(Aside: whereas, Moshe's Golden Falafel puts cilantro in every-dang-thing! As alluded to above, I like to watch America's Test Kitchen?Cook's Country, and even they will ruin a perfectly wonderful dish by piling a cup of fresh cilantro on it at the end.)

Some people with the aversion say it tastes like soap.
My daughter HATES cilantro, and she loves most everything (vegetarian, that is !! Your soap comment reminded me of this story:
Love To Hate Cilantro? It's In Your Genes And Maybe, In Your Head : The Salt : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 08:11 PM

25 posts, read 107,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
My daughter HATES cilantro, and she loves most everything (vegetarian, that is !! Your soap comment reminded me of this story:
Love To Hate Cilantro? It's In Your Genes And Maybe, In Your Head : The Salt : NPR
I heard that story, and there was something similar in The New York Times. Several people sent me the links. I felt vindicated. I have one other friend who also hates it, but everyone else looooves it. Tell your daughter I understand perfectly!

Spoiler
Maybe TMI, but to me, it tastes the way your mouth tastes after you throw up.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:38 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default A War @ HEB Grocery,

You don't like Cilantro, BexarCat ?
I am so glad you ducked behind the Chile Salsa display because I had thrown a virtual bottle of Pace Hot Sauce your way.
No Cilantro for Sauce in San Antonio ?
Get a Rope!

Just kidding- Cilantro can taste bad if too much of the herb is used in a recipe.
I used Cilantro too liberally one time and the result was a not so good bowl of Salsa.
I have been in Mexican Restaurants, , that is to say not a Tex-Mex- place- cilantro, along with onions are a toppings option every time and so one is asked by the waitress during the ordering - " Quiere Cilantro y Cebolla? "
The topping is not added - Because Yes- there are some who do not like the Cilantro.
Quote:
Okay... now I have to reveal something about myself that may be a game-changer, salsa-wise-speaking.

I don't like the taste of cilantro. <ducks behind a display of Rick Bayless' Green Chile Salsa> I can't help it. I'm one of Those People. I love pico del gallo, but without cilantro. There is one restaurant in town, I think it might be Blanco Cafe, that doesn't put cilantro in their pico.

(Aside: whereas, Moshe's Golden Falafel puts cilantro in every-dang-thing! As alluded to above, I like to watch America's Test Kitchen?Cook's Country, and even they will ruin a perfectly wonderful dish by piling a cup of fresh cilantro on it at the end.)

Some people with the aversion say it tastes like soap. I'll have to know y'all a lot better before I can tell you what it tastes like to me. I have friends who pile the fresh stuff high on their chalupas. Blech. I can barely stand to walk past a display of the stuff in the produce department.

I'll be trying some of the salsas suggested after seeing how high up cilantro is on the list of ingredients.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:33 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
You can't taste the cilantro in the Herdez salsa I mentioned above. My husband won't eat cilantro but he doesn't know it's in that salsa and he's never been able to tell from the taste.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You can't taste the cilantro in the Herdez salsa I mentioned above. My husband won't eat cilantro but he doesn't know it's in that salsa and he's never been able to tell from the taste.
Herdez got a bad rap on ATK/CC (but those people ARE in Boston/Vermont, after all). I've always liked Herdez.

I usually ask if there is cilantro in a dish at a restaurant and if they can leave it out. But now, in addition to Mexican restaurants, you have to ask at Thai, Indian, Middle Eastern-- geez, thirty years ago, I never even heard of cilantro (the good old days...).

Old 06-08-2017, 12:48 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
ATK/CC named Pace Picante Sauce as their favorite red salsa.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:34 PM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
This thread has me thinking about salsa often now. My father loved a brand by Van De Walle Farms that came in tall jars years ago. No idea what their salsa is like now that the name brand has changed ownership several times over the years. I don't even see it at HEB anymore.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Herdez got a bad rap on ATK/CC (but those people ARE in Boston/Vermont, after all). I've always liked Herdez.

I usually ask if there is cilantro in a dish at a restaurant and if they can leave it out. But now, in addition to Mexican restaurants, you have to ask at Thai, Indian, Middle Eastern-- geez, thirty years ago, I never even heard of cilantro (the good old days...).
I stick to Herdez because it doesn't have mystery ingredients in it. No "spices" without specifying what spice, or "natural flavors" and no gums like xanthan gum. I'm not one of those people who's really nutty about what's in their food, I have allergic reactions to Pace and HEB's salsa.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:34 PM

814 posts, read 676,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
medium / Not the Chunky is my fav but I'm going to try some others recommended in this thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Hehe. I rest my case.

I looked for Dom's Chop and Cocina Fresca at my Olmos Drive HEB-- couldn't find. I'll have to look at Lincoln Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio