Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 01:11 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times

Advertisements

Bush is a middle school 6-8th Grade. My youngest starts there in August. My older son went there as well and is now at Reagan. Stone Oak area elementaries are Stone Oak, Hardy Oak, Canyon Ridge, Wilderness Oak, Vinyard Ranch, Las Lomas and Tuscany Heights. The are all excellent schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 06:30 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
We had tornados in San Antonio this year along with hail as well.
Don't make me pull the stats. Just listen with your ears how often Dallas gets totally socked with extreme weather. I have distant relatives calling me every other week to make sure I'm still alive because they saw Dallas getting extreme weather. They're old people living in small states, they don't get that distinction between Dallas and SATX.

If you're referring to the baby F0's and F1's we get around here once a year, they don't count in my book. And even those are rare. SATX hasn't seen an F4 since the 50's. Dallas is right in Tornado alley. Plenty of video footage available of many F3's and F4's in Dallas

Old 06-24-2017, 10:18 AM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
I don't need to see stats if you are comparing tornadoes by region. There is a big difference between comparing tornadoes and saying "no tornadoes".

Alamo Heights had a F2 this year...may be "baby tornado" to you...but it was enough to damage over 100 homes in SA area overall.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:48 PM

110 posts, read 161,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Don't make me pull the stats. Just listen with your ears how often Dallas gets totally socked with extreme weather. I have distant relatives calling me every other week to make sure I'm still alive because they saw Dallas getting extreme weather. They're old people living in small states, they don't get that distinction between Dallas and SATX.

If you're referring to the baby F0's and F1's we get around here once a year, they don't count in my book. And even those are rare. SATX hasn't seen an F4 since the 50's. Dallas is right in Tornado alley. Plenty of video footage available of many F3's and F4's in Dallas
I have a home in both places up to just a couple of weeks ago moving 70% of my stuff to SA. The Dallas weather is definitely worse than SA. Couldn't stand all the damn hail. Still the Frisco area was fantastic and hard to replace in SA.

Last edited by MCNE; 06-24-2017 at 09:59 PM..

Old 06-25-2017, 10:28 AM

303 posts, read 365,408 times
The most costly hailstorm in Texas history occurred here in San Antonio last year on April 16th. 1.4 billion dollars in damages.

Back to the OP.

With a 650K budget and the location where your husband will be working, definitely have a look at Rogers Ranch, Inwood, and Shavano Park (1604 and Bitters/NW Military Highway area)

Old 06-25-2017, 06:59 PM

814 posts, read 676,093 times
The fun of living in Dallas is sitting in the garage and watching the light shows from the incredible thunderstorms.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:00 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times
You might also look at the Dominion.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:57 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default Extreme Weather of Dallas,

Dallas- Ft. Worth is subject to a strike from a very strong tornado, it could be a tragedy waiting to happen.
Located out there in the middle of that wide prairie like it sits. There was a documentary on one of the cable channels, history, discovery , I don't remember which it was ,- of what would happen if a large tornado did happen to hit Dallas. The fictional portrayal of the strike did not paint a favorable outcome for Dallas.

Dallas gets severe ice storms, I drove into one from San Antonio unwittingly in January of 2001. Everything was covered in ice that Friday night as I made my way towards Little Rock via Texarkana. I fish tailed my Grand Marquis all the way through Arkansas to Memphis as there were no rooms available anywhere and the Hotel Lobbies- were even full of sleeping travelers, stranded in the storm. We got back on the road. There was one single trail of that Arkansas Red sand spread all the way down the center both lanes of Interstate 30.
This was the very best the Arkansas Road Dept. could muster to keep the highway open. That was one wild ride.
Memphis was finally, ice free so we were able to stop at seven in the morning. Kids and I counted over one hundred cars in ditches with one SUV impaled from the rear by a steel guard rail.

A great deal hotter than San Antonio it can get in the summer in Dallas. The elderly can perish in the heat without air conditioning in the summer time-
But at least it is a Dry Heat.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:16 AM

110 posts, read 161,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
The most costly hailstorm in Texas history occurred here in San Antonio last year on April 16th. 1.4 billion dollars in damages
The frequency is not even close between the cities. Just look at all the car sales each yr in Dallas with damage. However I did know that about SA from 2016 from a dollar amount.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:22 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
If what you find in Dallas being "amazing", be prepared for disappointment in San Antonio or that your options are pretty limited. San Antonio doesn't really have the same level of master planned communities like Dallas/Plano/Frisco area does.

Your budget is good enough to get you in a nice neighborhood here though.
I'd take Boerne over anything Dallas has to offer in that budget. Straight shot down I10 also. And I know Dallas traffic is much greater than anything happening along I10 outside 1604 too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio