Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:50 PM

925 posts, read 1,229,131 times

Advertisements

I'm not 100% sure if Windsor Park is going to be the name of these two developments but it's going to be quite awesome.

The land to the left is Windcrest's portion of the development and the land to the right side is the city of San Antonio's portion.
http://www.whatsnextforwindsorpark.com/images/ph_FAQs2.jpg (broken link)

Final plan:
http://www.whatsnextforwindsorpark.com/images/08_SitePlanLG.jpg (broken link)

The project’s signature thoroughfare, Main Street, is expected to run north/south between Rackspace Headquarters and Eisenhower Road. This aerial shows the street as viewed facing south.
http://www.whatsnextforwindsorpark.com/images/08_AerialSouthLG.jpg (broken link)

Primary streets within the project create collections of four smaller blocks, which work together to form a small neighborhood. This cluster here has multiple housing types, with higher densities at the edge and a lower density center based on the forms found in La Villita.
http://www.whatsnextforwindsorpark.com/images/08_WesternSiteBlocksLG.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Insomniac; 12-11-2007 at 05:00 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 05:10 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,248,322 times
Wow that's going to be a huge economic boost for that area!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 PM

545 posts, read 2,284,873 times
Too bad VIA is taking away the bus stops in the area that will be annexed. I don't get what the big deal is about leaving them where they are. The bus service here is already crappy compared to other large cities, now they're taking away 5 stops in a part of town where people actually use them!

Is it Windcrest that's doing that or VIA? If it's VIA is it because it won't be part of San Antonio anymore? And if that's the case, what a stupid reason.

Take Chicago, for example - the CTA runs both buses and trains into the near suburbs, which makes it a lot easier for people living in those immediate suburbs surrounding the city to get into the city and do their business.

I wish San Antonio would take a clue from the cities that are making mass transit work because it definitely doesn't work here. It's not a viable option for too many people. If it was, maybe our traffic wouldn't be as messed up as it is now.

...stepping down from my soapbox

Old 12-11-2007, 09:33 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,444,127 times
Windcrest voted out of VIA in the mid 90's by an 80% margin. They collect the sales tax that would go to VIA for economic development. I would with this planned it was a good choice.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:41 AM

545 posts, read 2,284,873 times
You're probably right...since the city decided to not have VIA, it probably was a good decision for them. If SA had a better transit system, maybe not so much. However, things being what they are...

The problem now, though, is that people who depend on those bus stops are going to have to find another way to get around....or maybe I'm just falling into the trap of the media making a story out of something little...

Old 12-12-2007, 08:37 PM

You are losing three that are right in front of Windsor Park Mall, these same buses stop in front of roosevelt so it's not that big of a walk. The other two going away are on the 35 access rd. It wasn't that big of a loss.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:08 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,028,013 times
What is the word on this development? I know the former mall has started renovation, how about the accompanying projects?

Old 05-05-2008, 02:46 AM

Windcrest is still acquiring property, they now have the former wal-mart on the south side of the mall. They are also working with the dominion advisory group, to develop the land. This isn't something that is going to take months, it will take years, but when it's done it will be a showcase for the entire state of Texas on how to do new urbanism right.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:44 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,028,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Windcrest is still acquiring property, they now have the former wal-mart on the south side of the mall. They are also working with the dominion advisory group, to develop the land. This isn't something that is going to take months, it will take years, but when it's done it will be a showcase for the entire state of Texas on how to do new urbanism right.
How are the financial aspects of this development? Has there been word that it may fall through? I'd hope not considering the Rackspace development. If the city is still in the property acquisition phase I doubt construction will start this year. I hate projects that are announced long before they begin construction. Also, how does this compare to the town centers proposed at Bulverde, Cibolo, and La Cantera?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:29 PM

Rackspace is on track to have people start moving over by the end of the month. Financially, Windcrest is providing the capital using the WDC (windcrest development corporation). The designs we have seen were just a vision, a giant community brainstorm. Windcrest through zoning will be responsible for the see though of the plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio