Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:30 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,837,956 times

Advertisements

Here's another idea I have for a thread. I live near Seguin. Actually between Seguin and New Braunfels. I'm out in the country sort of. My neighbor builds brand new Classic Corvettes. works the trade shows, has his own private runway and flys a piper for pleasure. Another neighbor owns a few hundred acres and broke part of it up for 1 to 2 acre lots, but not too many. I like living here and yet with the computer I am able to keep in touch with my friends. You've already seen my post of small towns in the area. If any of you on this forum live around Boerne, Bandera, Floresville, Seguin, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Pleasanton, Jourdanton, Hondo, etc. I would like to hear from you. Let these big city folks be envious of our small towns. We can have our cake and eat it too. We can go into San Antonio and Austin when we choose or stay in our quiet little town and chill.

New Braunfels: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...nfelsTX017.jpg

Seguin: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...inTexas018.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM

Come on now. There must be someone else that lives in a small town or the countryside, besides me.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:54 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Come on now. There must be someone else that lives in a small town or the countryside, besides me.
There probably are.. but they must be at work right now

Old 03-31-2008, 05:08 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,034 times
Heh, well gy ~ we gave it a good try (livin' in the "country"). We lived outside Poteet (about 8 miles N/E of it) on 40 acres for almost 5 years. While there were some great advantages to the house we lived in (a huge back porch that ran the entire length of the house and had ceiling fans, overlooking the enormous pool and the back pasture, nice breezes, quiet nights and ability to actually see the stars), the disadvantages for us severely outweighed the advantages. Driving a minimum of 30 minutes to get to HEB or WalMart in Pleasanton, very limited medical choices unless you drive into San Antonio, nothing for teenagers to do other than attend drinking parties (ours didn't, since we homeschooled and so avoided that whole "scene" ~ but I feel like they missed out on alot of good experiences that they could have had if we had lived in SA), and the whole "good ol' boy" mentality just wasn't for us. (In addition to frequent centipedes in the house and copperheads in the pastures! ) We're happy to be "in" the city, within 2 minutes to Sea World, HEB +, Kohls, etc., etc., and only 20 minutes from downtown, La Cantera, Six Flags, etc!

Now, Malone lives in Medina and loves it, so maybe it was just "our neck of the woods"????

Old 03-31-2008, 07:07 PM

8 posts, read 22,640 times
How about West Shearer Hills?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 PM

Hi Crystal: I know you use to live in the country.
Jack Harris

Old 03-31-2008, 07:21 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,559 times
Well I live in the 78209 area code.. so I'm far from the country... but I must say that I really would like to live in the areas northwest of SA like Bandera, Real, Edwards counties

Old 03-31-2008, 08:59 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Here's another idea I have for a thread. I live near Seguin. Actually between Seguin and New Braunfels. I'm out in the country sort of. My neighbor builds brand new Classic Corvettes. works the trade shows, has his own private runway and flys a piper for pleasure. Another neighbor owns a few hundred acres and broke part of it up for 1 to 2 acre lots, but not too many. I like living here and yet with the computer I am able to keep in touch with my friends. You've already seen my post of small towns in the area. If any of you on this forum live around Boerne, Bandera, Floresville, Seguin, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Pleasanton, Jourdanton, Hondo, etc. I would like to hear from you. Let these big city folks be envious of our small towns. We can have our cake and eat it too. We can go into San Antonio and Austin when we choose or stay in our quiet little town and chill....
As they say, you can take the boy out of San Antonio, but you can't take San Antonio out of the boy.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:29 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Heh, well gy ~ we gave it a good try (livin' in the "country"). We lived outside Poteet (about 8 miles N/E of it) on 40 acres for almost 5 years. While there were some great advantages to the house we lived in (a huge back porch that ran the entire length of the house and had ceiling fans, overlooking the enormous pool and the back pasture, nice breezes, quiet nights and ability to actually see the stars), the disadvantages for us severely outweighed the advantages. Driving a minimum of 30 minutes to get to HEB or WalMart in Pleasanton, very limited medical choices unless you drive into San Antonio, nothing for teenagers to do other than attend drinking parties (ours didn't, since we homeschooled and so avoided that whole "scene" ~ but I feel like they missed out on alot of good experiences that they could have had if we had lived in SA), and the whole "good ol' boy" mentality just wasn't for us. (In addition to frequent centipedes in the house and copperheads in the pastures! ) We're happy to be "in" the city, within 2 minutes to Sea World, HEB +, Kohls, etc., etc., and only 20 minutes from downtown, La Cantera, Six Flags, etc!

Now, Malone lives in Medina and loves it, so maybe it was just "our neck of the woods"????

Yes, I live out in the boonies And Jules is absolutely correct, there are lots of pros and cons. I could never live in the city but there are people who could never live in the country, to each his own.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:05 AM

Malone: I agree. I'm older than most and I don't need constant activity. I can chill in my country home and if I get super board I can run to SA, Austin or maybe Houston. I've got 40 miles headstart on Houston than most of you in SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio