Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,228 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm returning to San Antonio to finish my degree at Trinity. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with relatively affordable (and safe) apartments/houses/co-ops near Trinity University.

I was really hoping to find a co-op ... but have you tried googling "co-op"? It doesn't work very well. I'm from Austin and student co-ops are all over the place here. I assumed they would be around San Antonio, too, but maybe Austin really is weird..

At any rate, I already tried to search the forum pretty extensively, but I got nowhere. I apologize in advance if this post is inappropriate somehow. Some forums get rather hostile when a new person posts, haha. I am not trying to intrude.. I promise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 AM

580 posts, read 1,424,370 times
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I lived in a couple of co-ops in Chicago for a number of years, and to the best of my knowledge residential co-ops do not exist in San Antonio. I think that it's a problem revolving around a relatively dispersed student population--and population in general. There is an artist "compound" in Southtown, which basically revolves around a number of old houses that rent for very cheap and share some public space in their back areas. To get in there, you have to be an artist or architect. There's also something called "Home House" around Trinity, but I think it's just a few young folk and not a co-op per se.

I would recommend posting something here and on Craigslist about the possibility of starting your own co-op. I'm sure that it could be done. All you need are a few friends with similar perspectives and the willingness to labor together and, voila!, you have a co-op. There are some really big houses and cheap rents close to Trinity that would make it a great option. Let me know if I can help. I think it would make a great addition to life in Tobin Hill or Monte Vista.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:28 PM

791 posts, read 3,946,797 times
I went to Trinity and there really are not "co-ops" nearby in the sense of what you find in Austin or other college towns. You will find, however, a number of large historic homes in Tobin Hill, Alta Vista and Beacon Hill that have been cut up into apartments or are being leased as "group homes" where 5 or 6 people are all sharing a house. The group home concept is very popular in DC, with each person renting their own bedroom and all common areas (kitchen, living room, etc.) are shared.

Your best bet to find this type of situation is craigslist... however, be aware that most people living in the group homes tend to be younger working professionals or students at SAC. Not that many TU students live off campus because they have a residency requirement through the end of junior year. You may not care too much about this one way or the other, but living off campus can make it a bit more difficult to establish relationships on campus sometimes. Feel free to DM me with any TU questions you have.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:50 PM

361 posts, read 920,831 times
When I was in school I saw sheer tons of people who rented houses then rented out rooms. You should consider giving that a try.

Others simply lived at home. In fact I'd say a large % of the colelge students were still living at home.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:31 PM

129 posts, read 510,981 times
My first apt was behind a house off Broadway on Elizabeth in '76. Someone else had upstairs. Guess how much? 100 bucks a month! The good ole days...

Old 03-21-2008, 10:45 AM

23 posts, read 68,932 times
I would check the Marquis Apts, Keystone Apts, Crescent Apts and Contour Apartments - Many Trinity students live there. Also check out Trinity Rent Houses - This guy is a great landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio