Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:59 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times

Advertisements

Bit crazy never been to SA, but there was a job out there looking to apply to. Makes about $20 to $22 an hour and it's full time. Was thinking of going for it. Going to round it to $40K a year and with my wife's line of work, nurse, figure combined salary be about $80K to $100K

First question how far can $80K go in SA area. Coming from New England that's around average for 3 person household to just make enough to live ha.

How are school's in SA? Surrounding area?

How's the weather...

Activities? Zoo's, swimming holes, museums, libraries, and so forth.

Higher education. Wife wants to eventually go for her APRN. Myself looking into law school or Doctorate in Psych. Decent university's?

Sports and Healthy activities? We both enjoy hiking and camping. I love to swim, run, kayak, mountain climb, and go to the gym.

Food...Anything love Mexican and Thai food. Also enjoy Italian and Healthy eats. Can't get enough ice cream. How's the food scene?

Religion wife practices Wicca. We are into Shamanism. I am Buddhist/Episcopalian. Enjoy going to Metaphysical stores.

Curious to see the feedback!

Last edited by RunD1987; 08-16-2017 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 09:08 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Well now....I'm just a dumb ol' Texas boy, but my math says $30/hr = $62,000+/year. Maybe it's all the other forums you've been asking the same question on, and got you confused?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Well now....I'm just a dumb ol' Texas boy, but my math says $30/hr = $62,000+/year. Maybe it's all the other forums you've been asking the same question on, and got you confused?
Fixed it thanks

Old 08-16-2017, 10:56 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Wait....YOU said it made $30/hr, then when called on it you lowered it, rather than raise the annual?

Yeah - someone's playing games - out.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 PM

50 posts, read 65,315 times
How much research have you done on the city? Seems like none and just want everyone to answer all your questions

Old 08-16-2017, 11:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Bit crazy never been to SA, but there was a job out there looking to apply to. Makes about $20 to $22 an hour and it's full time. Was thinking of going for it. Going to round it to $40K a year and with my wife's line of work, nurse, figure combined salary be about $80K to $100K

First question how far can $80K go in SA area. Coming from New England that's around average for 3 person household to just make enough to live ha.

My husband makes about $21/hour and that's our only income for a family of four. We're comfortable enough...house, two cars, health insurance, enough money left after the bills for a bit of spending money and decent groceries. We can't really build savings or buy new cars.

How are school's in SA? Surrounding area?

There are a lot of school districts here. Some better than others, and some schools in some districts better than others. The current favorites are Alamo Heights, Boerne, NISD and NEISD.
I live in NISD and my kids go to online school because the schools in the neighborhood weren't a good fit for them.

How's the weather...

Hot. Really hot. We make up for it by mostly not getting freezing weather in the wintertime, but when the roads do ice up nobody knows how to drive on it and we all stay home until it melts.

Activities? Zoo's, swimming holes, museums, libraries, and so forth.

We have an overpriced zoo. I think I've just been there too many times to enjoy it.
We've got a bunch of museums, some better than others. Lots of them are free one evening a week.
We have two big amusement parks. Plenty of libraries. Free swimming at the city pools although hours are limited.

Higher education. Wife wants to eventually go for her APRN. Myself looking into law school or Doctorate in Psych. Decent university's?
Probably St. Mary's for law school or PsyD. UIW or UT Health Science Center for nursing.

Sports and Healthy activities? We both enjoy hiking and camping. I love to swim, run, kayak, mountain climb, and go to the gym.

There are places to hike or camp not too far from here. The weather is usually the deciding factor. Until you're used to it, hiking on a hot summer afternoon could be more than you're up to.

Food...Anything love Mexican and Thai food. Also enjoy Italian and Healthy eats. Can't get enough ice cream. How's the food scene?

I can't answer this one because I don't do restaurants.

Religion wife practices Wicca. We are into Shamanism. I am Buddhist/Episcopalian. Enjoy going to Metaphysical stores.

Plenty of pagans here. Pagan Pride Day is a good way to get info about specific groups and stores. Your wife might get a kick out of Papa Jim's Botanica even though it's more hoodoo than Wiccan supplies.

Curious to see the feedback!
You should visit San Antonio in the summer before deciding to move here.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:34 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Not only has he posted in multiple state sub-forums, but this guy has asked about almost every health care field imaginable over the past two years. I thought he was going to nursing school, but it changes every month. Now, he wants to be a lawyer or psychologist. I suggest the OP use his criminal justice degree to get a job until he figures out what he wants to do. I also recommend counseling.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:11 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
There is a search function for this reason. People are so lazy. You'll be fine in the area with that salary. But visit first. Have a job first. No one is special enough to just show up and get a job. Not in any economy in any city.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:44 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Judging from the responses here....I guess a lot of us are getting tired of the repeat questions and repeat responses. Perhaps our sticky thread should be updated and put to use again.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:42 PM

159 posts, read 185,596 times
Please don't move here from the North East. I promise that you will hate it. May I suggest Florida if you are looking for better weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio