Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:25 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
But you know what...you don't even have to leave anything of "value" in your car. I had friends who had their car broken into and petty things were missing--change, etc. But their paperwork (insurance, registration, etc) was taken too. They immediately put a fraud alert on their credit (I recommended they do this since I've been an identity theft victim myself) and within 24 hours received a call that these crooks had tried to get credit in their name. They never caught the crooks, and fortunately that was the only call my friends received. That was 3 years ago and so far they haven't had any other ID theft-type problems.
Exactly! As I said in my original post, they didn't take anything but gas receipts--and the credit card number is not on there. Somehow, it's his fault since he didn't park in the garage. He's a military guy who owns firearms, so I would not be surprised if the next one that comes around to rip him off draws back a nub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 08:23 PM

109 posts, read 517,979 times
It seems like you can't leave anything in your car at all, my neighbor had his car broken into and all he had in his car were a pair of Isotonor gloves. My neighbor saw the guy break in and grab the gloves and he took off after him. The thief had a gun and started shooting up into the air so my neighbor decided that was enough and stopped chasing him. Pretty scary.

As far as burglaries go I had my house broken into a few months ago, all the thieves had to do was kick the front door in. We live in a nice part of Helotes that appears to be safe but apparently it no where is in SA. I didn't know this but apparently the screws that they use to put your door hardware in are about an inch long so it doesn't take much to kick the door in. I replaced the door hardware and put in really long screws and had security film applied to my windows so deter future break-ins. It's unfortunate that people have to deal with these sorts of things.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
But you know what...you don't even have to leave anything of "value" in your car. I had friends who had their car broken into and petty things were missing--change, etc. But their paperwork (insurance, registration, etc) was taken too. They immediately put a fraud alert on their credit (I recommended they do this since I've been an identity theft victim myself) and within 24 hours received a call that these crooks had tried to get credit in their name. They never caught the crooks, and fortunately that was the only call my friends received. That was 3 years ago and so far they haven't had any other ID theft-type problems.
I think that Identity Theft is my biggest fear. The havoc it can lead to is unbelieveable from what I have read and heard from those that have suffered, and it the reason I GLADLY pay for ID Theft protection. We researched and personally found LIFELOCK to be the best for our $$. Hey, if the guy that owns the company will put his SSAN out on the internet and in newspaper ads, I feel he has got a product worth my couple of dollars a month.

Identity Theft Prevention – Identity Theft Protection – Stop Identity Theft

Old 03-14-2008, 08:55 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,373 times
My husband and I are both identity theft victims. LOOONG story and it really SUCKS!!...but eventually the idiot was caught and is now in jail serving 5 years for fraud, forgery, and theft by deception. And since they finally caught him, he will be behind bars I hope for much longer since they wanted him for theft of ATVs and snowmachines from dealers and crossing them over state lines and scratching off VIN numbers. This happened in Utah on our move down here from Alaska to Texas 4 years ago. The guy was caught 2 years ago, skipped several of his hearings/sentencing phases and was finally picked up on a traffic stop 1 year ago this past Thanksgiving.

I highly encourage EVERYONE to take advantage of their free copy of their credit report you can get once a year. And having fraud alert on our credits has stopped all those annoying credit card offers.

Last edited by hadleyzoo; 03-14-2008 at 09:49 PM..

Old 03-15-2008, 08:47 AM

26 posts, read 34,718 times
For those of you in the military or with military connections Durys Gun Shop is the authorized Glock and supplier for SAPD and offers Glocks at Police pricing, $398.20 for a 19.

That what I got after waking up last year to see the daily news report talking about the latest home invasion...stop by in the middle of the night and I'll show you

Durys Guns

Old 03-15-2008, 09:24 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
That's a nice price and Glock's are sweet hand guns. The home invasion is the main thing I worry about and I would personally take great satisfaction in ending one right after it started. We don't need crap like that walking around with us civilized people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio