Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 06:44 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Read his post again....

Anyways, I prefer Habanero grill too.
He said McDonald's stole the idea from Freebirds for use with Chipolte. Chipolte was in operation, with the same concept, roughly 5 years before McDonalds invested.

Worse is the news article linked above. They inaccurately wrote, "The first Freebirds opened in 1991 in College Station." That is an absolute myth. The 1st Freebirds opened in Santa Barbara, CA several years earlier. 1 minute of due diligence by the Editor could have prevented that inaccurate statement.

While i'm on a roll, add me to the list of people that don't care for Habanero. [LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 AM

399 posts, read 1,139,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Worse is the news article linked above. They inaccurately wrote, "The first Freebirds opened in 1991 in College Station." That is an absolute myth. The 1st Freebirds opened in Santa Barbara, CA several years earlier. 1 minute of due diligence by the Editor could have prevented that inaccurate statement.
Yep, most people don't know the original was in Callie, probably b/c it never expanded like the model that started in College Station. Here is a short history:

From Wikipedia -
Quote:
The Freebirds concept was created by Mark Orfalea and Pierre Dube in 1987, when they opened the first Freebirds World Burrito in Isla Vista, California, a block from the University of California, Santa Barbara campus.[1] When the partners decided to open a second location, they looked at the twenty largest college towns in the US, eventually choosing College Station, Texas, home of Texas A&M University. They opened the second Freebirds, called El Freebirds Burrito and Taco Bar, in 1991 in the Northgate shopping district, a commercial district located across the street from the campus in a central hub of activity for both students and residents with heavy foot traffic. In 1994, Dube bought out his partner, though Orfalea retained the original Isla Vista location and a license to continue operating under the Freebirds name there. Dube then opened a second location in College Station, then a third. He later expanded the restaurant to multiple locations across Texas, including Dallas, Houston, and Austin.[2]
By 2007, the restaurant chain had 19 locations around Texas. On July 25, 2007, Dube sold the chain to Tavistock Group, though its Tavistock Restaurants division. At the time of the sale, Tavistock stated that it would be opening an additional 40 Freebirds restaurants across the southwestern United States.[3] In addition to adding more Texas locations, Tavistock expanded the restaurant chain into neighboring state Oklahoma with the opening of a location in Norman, Oklahoma in January 2008.[4][5][6] As of April 2010, the chain has expanded to 31 locations, and stated that it would have 52 open by the end of 2010.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:33 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,359 times
La Gloria in the Pearl is open on the river. Advertised as "Mexican Street Food" we went last night, had a few items all were good (except the ceviche, but I will give them another shot). Excellent Michelada. Big patio, that can open to the inside through large garage doors when the weather permits. Great new spot.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:22 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,236 times
Some Philly Cheese Steak joint in Huebner Oaks bellied up. It was the 2nd incarnation of that type of restaurant in that location and it's gone.

Given the number of restaurants in that area that seem to work - it must not have been too hot. Never tried it.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:43 PM

147 posts, read 309,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I might try it for kicks, if I dont like it will blame it on you.
I'll point my chin to the right. Just make it quick

Old 05-08-2010, 10:24 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
La Gloria in the Pearl is open on the river. Advertised as "Mexican Street Food" we went last night, had a few items all were good (except the ceviche, but I will give them another shot). Excellent Michelada. Big patio, that can open to the inside through large garage doors when the weather permits. Great new spot.
I think this was the place we were going to eat at last weekend, but it was closed to a private event. We ended up at Sogna. Will try again,,,

Old 05-10-2010, 01:23 PM

153 posts, read 283,214 times
Longhorn Steakhouse on Zarzamora/I-35 opens for business today at 4:00

Old 05-10-2010, 01:44 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,236 times
There was a small Italian place - Giuseppe's on 1604 near the Ohana's on Hausman. Closed.

Don't know if the Ohana's is open. Just saw the Giuseppe's sign was down. It was a bad location as far as traffic.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:12 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,042 times
ah man...Giuseppes was great! that stinks.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:07 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 734,996 times
Default Texas de Brazil

Texas de Brazil is coming to Houston Street.

Federal Realty Begins Restoration of Historic Kress Building and Welcomes Texas de Brazil to Houston... -- ROCKVILLE, Md., May 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio