Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 AM

1,099 posts, read 2,073,566 times

Advertisements

THANKS tyger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 AM

16 posts, read 26,107 times
Last two mornings when I drove by on my way home in the morning, Mamacita Jean's on NW Military at West Ave (former location of Oblate Cafe) has been dark and the parking lot empty.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM

545 posts, read 1,061,329 times
Panda Buffet at 410 and Ingram has bit the dust. Lights out, for lease sign in the window.

I was sad to see that one go, it was the only place in town that didn't burn the heck out of the food. I figured its time wasn't long after East Buffet opened at Bandera & 410, though.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:05 PM

102 posts, read 188,175 times
Bar Louie [url=http://www.barlouieamerica.com/]Be Happy | Bar Louie[/url] going into the old Copeland's site at the Village at Stone Oak

Check out B-20
[url]http://www.ddr.com/property/assets/A20114_SitePlan.pdf[/url]

Old 01-20-2013, 08:52 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
Fajita Express in the old Crystal Hamburger building close to the intersection of Culebra & 1604 is now open for business. Sorry if this is old news.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,240 times
Default New York Pizza

Downtown Houston St. very close to the Majestic theater was located a
pizza place called "New York Style Pizza".They later moved to
409 E.Houston st. @ old Neisners building corner of Houston & Alamo st.
They are no longer there. I was wondering if there is a similar place any
where in S.A. This place was operated by Italians with a New York attitude.
Don't mean to sound negative...but some spots make you feel like you are
doing them a favor by going there. Anyway...I overlooked that because for
me , that was the best Pizza I have ever tasted.
Since then...I've been searching around for that same flavor in a pizza
in this city with no luck. Last year , in Memphis., I found a pizza place called,
Chicago Style Pizza which was run by an Italian ( same attitude)...but
heck...the Pizza was delicious . Does any one know of a Pizza place that is
made by Italians in S.A. I apologize to the Italians...I don't want to say that
based on these two encounters, everyone is like that. And I don't expect a
glass of water at the table or "Hi..welcome..how can I serve you"...it's more
like (imagine..Sylvester Stallone)..."Yo..whut ya want...I ain't got all day ..Ok ??....

btw...my wife's from Naples...Hey..ya got a problem with that???

Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times
Florio's pizza in Alamo Heights is run by actual NY Italians with the 'tude. I've heard it was great pizza, as well. Maybe they put all their love into their dough?

Old 01-21-2013, 03:24 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
The quality of pizza isn't determined by the employee attitude. A multitude of things make a pizza decent, including altitude, water supply, tomato sauce sourcing, etc.

It's either decent or it's crap: There's little middle-ground on a slice or pie with me. Furthermore, unless you're talking about the thin, flatbread-based pizza that originated in Gaeta, Italy, most of what we know as 'NYC' or 'Chicago' style pizza is purely an American creation... Very little to do with original Italians and bastardized beyond initial recognition these days. In San Antonio, Dough seems to be the standard for Neapolitan-style. It's decent if you can handle the standard wait times.

Everyone seems to love Kennedy's: I'm not one of them. Mr. Kennedy is from the burbs of Chicago and when talked to from this native inner-city Chicagoan, he failed my standardized Chicago exam. His pizza was okay, but nothing that a place like Connie's Pizza in Chicago couldn't take down with ease.

For true NYC-style, I still love Grimaldis. Yes, a chain, but a chain that knows how to properly make a coal-fired, Coney Island-style pie. It's delicious. I'm slobbering now just thinking about it. It's comparable to 'New Haven' style pizza in CT, which is where Joey Garlics started, the pizza joint co-created by Diners, Drive-ins and Dives host Guy Fieri.

Chicago-style in this city just hasn't hit me yet. It's all about cooking it in the right oven and sourcing the exact kind of sausage, tomato and cheese. You don't do pieces of sausage... You do a thick sheet. Same goes for the cheese. I want to see a BERLIN WALL of cheese on my pie.

BN

Old 01-21-2013, 03:32 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Florio's pizza in Alamo Heights is run by actual NY Italians with the 'tude. I've heard it was great pizza, as well. Maybe they put all their love into their dough?
Actually, they're from Jersey...Paramus to be exact. There is a difference.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:50 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
The quality of pizza isn't determined by the employee attitude. A multitude of things make a pizza decent, including altitude, water supply, tomato sauce sourcing, etc.

It's either decent or it's crap: There's little middle-ground on a slice or pie with me. Furthermore, unless you're talking about the thin, flatbread-based pizza that originated in Gaeta, Italy, most of what we know as 'NYC' or 'Chicago' style pizza is purely an American creation... Very little to do with original Italians and bastardized beyond initial recognition these days. In San Antonio, Dough seems to be the standard for Neapolitan-style. It's decent if you can handle the standard wait times.

Everyone seems to love Kennedy's: I'm not one of them. Mr. Kennedy is from the burbs of Chicago and when talked to from this native inner-city Chicagoan, he failed my standardized Chicago exam. His pizza was okay, but nothing that a place like Connie's Pizza in Chicago couldn't take down with ease.

For true NYC-style, I still love Grimaldis. Yes, a chain, but a chain that knows how to properly make a coal-fired, Coney Island-style pie. It's delicious. I'm slobbering now just thinking about it. It's comparable to 'New Haven' style pizza in CT, which is where Joey Garlics started, the pizza joint co-created by Diners, Drive-ins and Dives host Guy Fieri.

Chicago-style in this city just hasn't hit me yet. It's all about cooking it in the right oven and sourcing the exact kind of sausage, tomato and cheese. You don't do pieces of sausage... You do a thick sheet. Same goes for the cheese. I want to see a BERLIN WALL of cheese on my pie.

BN
Have to agree about the Chicago-style. While in that city over the holidays, I ate at Lou Malnati's THREE TIMES!!! Man, I love that pizza. But, at least we have three or four places that try to do it in San Antonio. (And I agree about Kennedy's--not very good, with horrible atmosphere for a pizza place. I have yet to try Trinity [?], though, and I hear they do a Chicago-style.) While up in Austin this weekend, I got the hankering for Chicago-style, and there isn't a single restaurant in that city that even attempts one these days. Mangia's has closed down all of their locations, as far as I can tell. There's a truck that does pretty tasty "Detroit-style," and it's pretty thick with tomato sauce on top (and square!), but it's not the same thing.

Any info on what type of pizza they're going to do at the new place opening up on McCullough, courtesy of the folks behind The Monterey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio