Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:14 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Absolutely not - the pilot light could ignite the fumes. Put them on a small pallet in the back yard (under a patio cover or tarp). Any escaping fumes should easily dissipate.
That makes sense. Forget what I said about storing them in the garage!

Also do you have candles in case the batteries on your flashlight go out
and although you have batteries in storage.. you need some light to look for them!

It’s like when I can’t find my eyeglasses.
I have an old broken pair which I use to locate my eyeglasses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:18 PM

1,514 posts, read 889,922 times
I left the first time I came to HEB earlier this afternoon because of this mess. Back here at HEB again for some odds and ends and retry again. I thought it would be slower.

Its almost 10:30pm and its absolute pandemonium. Shelves cleared. I am in line now and have been for 20 minutes now. Im still in line and may have another 20 to 40 minutes to go for one line. All lines like this. Its so busy, there were no shopping carts out front. They are in the store. People at every register. Carts overflowing. Ive never seen anything like this.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,087 times
If the power shuts off, how would you charge your cell-phone in case of emergency?

I have a charger in the car. Not sure if I have to have the car running to charge
the phone.

I no longer have a land-line telephone.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:28 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,977,735 times
Wish I could send one of you to check on my mother. Her side of town always suffers power outages. Luckily she did her shopping this a.m. Has batteries, flashlights, full tank and her meds.
Please be safe San antonio friends.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:35 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
If the power shuts off, how would you charge your cell-phone in case of emergency?

I have a charger in the car. Not sure if I have to have the car running to charge
the phone.

Get a rechargeable power bank. You can even get one at HEB.

If you do have to use the car charger for your phone, have the car running.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:05 PM

56 posts, read 52,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post

the phone.

There's the UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector, about the size of a shoebox, starting under $100. They have limited capacity, but can handle a cellphone and tablet just fine.

On a humorous note...one could hook up a hamster exercise wheel to a small generator. (or your bicycle)
Attached Thumbnails
Harvey...-ups-battery-backup-surge-protector.jpg  

Old 08-25-2017, 05:05 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,025,676 times
All the geniuses shopping at HEB & inducing pandemonium have forgotten one thing. There are OTHER stores that sell water!! Gas station convenience stores?! Anyone heard of them?! Walgreens & CVS?! Sheesh! For some reason everyone thinks "HEB" & not certain non-traditional grocery options.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:06 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,231 times
The Walgreens at Huebner and SO Pkwy was getting low but there were some smaller packages of water. The big stack by the door was gone but I found some on the drink aisle. I grabbed the last 2 small 24 packs because my husband wants to take it to his mother. Also grabbed a few gallon jugs since my neighbor hadn't gotten out to get any yet and I can always share if needed. I also heard there may be more water coming in today so most likely it will be available before it's hard to get out. I only ran in this morning because I was already out dropping my son off at Reagan and no one was there yet.

I ran to HEB to grab a few more things and a little more water and the lines were manageable when I walked in but a 30 minute wait when I was done shopping- and there was no water. Tempted to leave but I had cold stuff so I either had to leave it and feel guilty or put it all back so I waited. I figure I can just fill some pitchers with water and pop them in my extra freezer rather than worrying about buying more.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
If y'all have enough drinking water and you're worried about water to flush a toilet, fill up a bathtub. Be sure to keep babies or small kids away from the tub though.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:20 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,770,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Absolutely not - the pilot light could ignite the fumes. Put them on a small pallet in the back yard (under a patio cover or tarp). Any escaping fumes should easily dissipate.
Are you saying all water heaters have pilot lights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio