Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times

Advertisements

Mostly this boils down to a sample-size issue. There are pockets of housing in every part of the city that are outside the statistical norms for the area. Pictures of them prove only that the outliers exist. The statistics can tell you what is normal for that area. With a little digging, you can find the abnormal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 05:16 PM

218 posts, read 336,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Mostly this boils down to a sample-size issue. There are pockets of housing in every part of the city that are outside the statistical norms for the area. Pictures of them prove only that the outliers exist. The statistics can tell you what is normal for that area. With a little digging, you can find the abnormal.

As opposed to seeing it for your own eyes?

The issue was to combat the perception that the south side is ugly, unsafe, poor, etc.

Statistics actually prove that the north side has the most crime.

These pictures help to prove that for the most part the south side isn't "ugly."

For the most part, if you were to street view yourself you'd find that a majority of the south east side looks like the pictures I posted. Of course within the southeast side there are pockets of homes that are not so good looking but like I said, there is much more good than bad.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelangelosa View Post
As opposed to seeing it for your own eyes?

The issue was to combat the perception that the south side is ugly, unsafe, poor, etc.
Oh I don't think of any side of town as "ugly." I've driven on surface streets on all of the sides of town that narrow-minded people might be afraid of. I've never seen any housing in San Antonio that was in as bad a shape as some of the worst places I've seen in Chicago or Los Angeles.

There are neighborhoods where it's obvious the residents take pride in their homes and there are neighborhoods where residents don't care what their neighborhood looks like. I can probably find examples of each on every side of town with housing >20 years old. That's probably true in every US city the size of San Antonio. It doesn't make the city bad, it just makes it typical.

Let's not get into the nuts and bolts of crime statistics because its too hard to compare apples to apples in a way that will please everyone.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:48 AM

119 posts, read 430,644 times
Travelerguy, I have spent over ten years on the Northside of town, so it isn't new to me. Perhaps, it was because I was sheltered growing up. Michelangelosa, I didn't say that those specifically were the areas that I thought unsafe. I just wanted to give you an idea of the scope of my familiarity with the Northside. There are "unsafe" parts on every side of San Antonio. I do not wish to make this a North versus South thread, but how can you not? People constantly compare the North to the South and therein lies the common misperception that the Southside is, as you say, "unsafe, poor, ugly, etc..."

Old 03-17-2008, 10:34 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelangelosa View Post

I did this because for as long as I can remember
the "south side" of San Antonio has always gotten a bad,
bad rap as being unsafe, poor, ugly, etc.

A majority of the time it's just baseless rhetoric

and the rest of the time it's just out right false generalizing.

Highland Park

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5...andparktw5.png

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/6...ndpark2jf5.png

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/3...ndpark3aw5.png

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3...ndpark4bt4.png

angelo, your screenshots depicting McKinley Ave
got me to remembering the address where I lived
from about 1954-7.... 1807 McKinley.

My dad built for us our own home (not a rental) in 1957
at 219 Audrey Alene (near San Pedro and Oblate).

So, anyway, I StreetViewed 1807 McKinley
(below, first pic, with the red door) -
sure enough, I remember that little porch
where I almost lost a fingertip and have a scar to this day.

Also, I had forgotten, across the street, (second pic),
the house with the miniature playhouse.
Unbelievable - it is still there.

Also I do remember the folks there across the street
had a 1957 Ford SkyLiner.
For those of you that don't remember,
The 57 SkyLiner had a retractable HardTop roof
that disappeared into the trunk at the push of a button.

Sorry about going off topic here a bit,
I agree with you though -
SouthSide does not automatically mean trash.
Trash has actually permeated the entire city.
In fact, our gov't subsidizes this permeation,
even bringing trash in from outside of our city.

mud..........

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1...ckinleyiy7.jpg

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/1015/1804mckinleync4.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by da jammer; 03-18-2008 at 11:31 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 07:35 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
Mud, I remember that house with the little almost identical playhouse in the back. I think I may have even mentioned it on this forum at one time or another. The first place I lived when I left home in the early 70's was a little duplex on the corner of Avant and Mittman. $80 per month for a one bedroom, one bath, full kitchen and living room. I had full use of the two car detached garage and the large front and back yard that was manicured by the kid from down the street. The elderly lady that owned it lived in the other side of the duplex so I didn't have to worry about who was going to wind up living next door to me. I loved the neighborhood. I may try to google that place later.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,026 times
[MOD CUT]I was trying to depict that there wasn't any more danger than anywhere else. I worked on the Southside for a number of years, and while the area i was close to appeared "run down" it was only because most of SA is blowing up with new growth right now, making the older homes appear even older. You definitely could tell while driving down the highways that you were getting closer to the southside as you were driving.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by da jammer; 03-18-2008 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
Mud, I found my old house but I can't figure out how to save images in google. Can you provide any clues?

Old 03-18-2008, 11:25 AM

443 posts, read 1,505,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
shhhhh. Now everyone will move to the southside and we'll get tons of traffic like on the north. ;-)

no i won't... promise...

Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
no i won't... promise...
No kidding. There may be pockets of nice areas on the south side...but the opposite is true on the north side...mostly nice with pockets of less desireable areas. For the most part - the North side has better schools, roads and subdivisions.

This is not to knock the southside - I have friends that live down there. But they don't live there because it is the best place to live - they live there because that was what best fit their budget. You can have a happy home anywhere...but people shouldn't kid themselves - the Southside is not equal to the Northside just because you can find a few examples of quaint houses. Look at the retail establishments, the malls, the restaurants and crime statistics.

Like others said - the north side has crime - but they tend to be property related. The South, South East west side tend to have the most murders and drive by shootings. I think I would rather live in a part of town known for crimes against property than crimes against person!

Granted I have lived on the north side of town (in various north central communities) over the past 14 years and am admitedly biased. I also realize that all communities age and become victims of urban crime and deterioration. There are great areas to live all over the city - but the developing cooridors along 151, IH10 and 281 remain the best parts of town - and have for the past two decades (with the exception of 151 - which is too new).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio