Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:51 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelangelosa View Post
As opposed to seeing it for your own eyes?

The issue was to combat the perception that the south side is ugly, unsafe, poor, etc.

Statistics actually prove that the north side has the most crime.

These pictures help to prove that for the most part the south side isn't "ugly."

For the most part, if you were to street view yourself you'd find that a majority of the south east side looks like the pictures I posted. Of course within the southeast side there are pockets of homes that are not so good looking but like I said, there is much more good than bad.
I'm 50/50 on this one case my reasons.

1. for one the north side is at least twice the size as the south side and at least 5 times grater in size and population to both the east/west sides of town(inner city). (these aren't actual facts just numbers based on updated maps)

2.Most of the crime that takes place is petty crime like auto thief or stupid people driving while drunk , and every once in a while a murder.

3. While most of the violent crimes happen in the inner city with gang activity and all that dumb stuff.

4. While I do admit the north side does have it's rough spots it's much, much more concentrated in the inner city areas of the city. I also do admit there are some pretty safe areas in the inner city areas as I mentioned in earlier post. I just had to say this cause some posters sugar coat these areas a little too much.

5. I have been to many areas in the US and while SA is not he worst place I've seen it isn't the best. I think it depends on what a person can define as rough; as in one person might think one place is worst then another while the person next to him/her might think otherwise.

I'm not trying to offend anyone this is just my opinion.

Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 01:55 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
no i won't... promise...
Darn. I'm so disappointed.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:56 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
Random musings of SnappyBob

To all with riches from your former home
And plan for SA to end your roam

Take heed the tale that the Banker tells
And keep your house hunting to north side sales

The evil forces just south of town
Will suck you up and drag you down

It eats the sheltered and the weak
And spits them out in Salado Creek

And to those of you from out of state
Go north and avoid a simular state

So if you want to stay in the shape your in
You should keep your searches north of 410

Each day I rise in my southside house
And I realize I'm just a poor louse

I pray that some day my ship will come in
And my tribe on the south side can move to the north end

But if I was a rich guy like most on this board
I think I'd stay here no matter what I could afford.

Last edited by SnappyBob; 03-18-2008 at 02:08 PM..

Old 03-18-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
I'm 50/50 on this one case my reasons.
2.Most of the crime that takes place is petty crime like auto thief or stupid people driving while drunk , and every once in a while a murder.
This is true all over the city

Quote:
3. While most of the violent crimes happen in the inner city with gang activity and all that dumb stuff.
Even on the southside/inner city, these events are very isolated. yes, there may be whole streets subject to this, but it's not an entire 60 sq mile portion of town. Just like in the northside, there are a few pockets, same on the south side.

As I said, before I moved to 'the ghetto', my northsider friends were all fearing for my life - having never been there. They were shocked to find out that we have very little if any crime, feel perfectly safe walking all over at night, and aren't the least bit worried.

Quote:
5. I have been to many areas in the US and while SA is not he worst place I've seen it isn't the best. I think it depends on what a person can define as rough; as in one person might think one place is worst then another while the person next to him/her might think otherwise.
What I find really funny is that during events in the area - like First Friday or Fiesta or events at Hemisfair Park, people all pay $10+ to park in a lot, when down the street it's open and free. I can't complain, I like not having cars on the street, but most do that because they're afraid of the 'hood, not knowing it. I was once one of those people....no more!

I'm actually glad the southside doesn't have the same rampant development as the northside. I like that I can go 5 miles and be in the countryside, yet still be within view of the Tower of the Americas. I used to like that I could go to HEB with little traffic (that's changed of late, thanks to the development). I'd prefer some more interesting development than Box Stores, but I admit I like the slower development. I really don't want to become like the northside. And God Forbid someone tries to put a Starbuck's in our commercial zone!

Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
[SIZE=3]Random musings of SnappyBob[/SIZE]

snipped for brevity

I think I’d stay here no matter what I could afford.
I love it!!! Thank you.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:53 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,562 times
Thank you Snappy Bob!! I love it!!!! I completely agree.

I've lived here on the Southside of town just about all my life and never once have I been shot at nor feared for my life.

As long as I'm in SA I choose to live here on the southside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Random musings of SnappyBob

Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 PM

321 posts, read 1,069,395 times
Default in support of Banker

I support efforts to maintain and revitalize otherwise ignored areas, however I find it hard to lead the charge with stats like the ones shown below. These snapshots are from the sex offender web page: TXDPS Crime Records Services (broken link)
The dots represent a registered sex offender's place of residence.

I have visited other sex offender web sites that had more activity in the North Central area, however it still paled in comparison to the West and South East sides shown in the other snapshots. I am aware that these only represent registered offers so North Central should have more, but by that same token so should the other two areas.

For now I'll take traffic congestion and a Starbucks in the corner over stats like this.

West side:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3005/...300078.jpg?v=0

South East side:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/...c82dce.jpg?v=0

North Central:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2400/...4eae90.jpg?v=0

Last edited by da jammer; 03-18-2008 at 05:31 PM..

Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
My husband's sister lives on the south side, as do her in-laws. I love the neighborhoods I've visited there. If my husband and I worked downtown I wouldn't be adverse at all to living there. Right now though, working where we do, it just doesn't make sense.

I've been to my share of pachangas on the south side (and on the north side and the west side... ).

Old 03-19-2008, 06:13 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
I support efforts to maintain and revitalize otherwise ignored areas, however I find it hard to lead the charge with stats like the ones shown below. These snapshots are from the sex offender web page: TXDPS Crime Records Services
The dots represent a registered sex offender's place of residence.

I have visited other sex offender web sites that had more activity in the North Central area, however it still paled in comparison to the West and South East sides shown in the other snapshots. I am aware that these only represent registered offers so North Central should have more, but by that same token so should the other two areas.

For now I'll take traffic congestion and a Starbucks in the corner over stats like this.

West side:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3005/...300078.jpg?v=0

South East side:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/...c82dce.jpg?v=0

North Central:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2400/...4eae90.jpg?v=0
Enough said.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:10 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
You don't need a map with little dots that was compiled from city records to know where the traffic conjestion is. You probably have a better chance of being injured or killed in a car wreck on the northside than ever knowingly coming into contact with a sex offender on the southside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio