Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:07 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times

Advertisements

second funniest thing I've seen on hybrids..
YouTube - Jeff Dunham (Spark Of Insanity) pt. 1 and what Walter says at the 8:30 mark here
YouTube - Jeff Dunham - Spark of Insanity (Part 4/8) is freaking hilarious too

The South Park "Smug" episode was by far the best..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 03:34 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 735,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Gas will be near $4.00/gallon by summer...and five dollar gas is in our future by the end of the decade. We can thank the other developing countries like China for the high demand for oil right now. This is way beyond the US economy and the middle east. Right now demand is higher than it has ever been. In 2000 - there were approximately 20 million cars in China...by 2010 there will be 200 million. Supply and demand at work here. This is why we (the US) needs to be able to drill in Alaska and develop more refineries to process the oil once we get it. High gas prices are here to stay. But in spite of the recent rise in prices - we still enjoy gas this about 50% of the cost of gas in Europe and Japan which suffer under $7-8.00/gallon gas.
Totally agree...We have high oil prices, which should be attracting lots of domestic oil exploration and the building of new refineries. Yet, because of all sorts of regulation (mostly "environmental"), we have in essence kept the supply down (allowing ourselves to be at the mercy of OPEC), while demand grows worldwide.

This, along with the devaluation of the dollar, has caused this rapid increase in oil prices. If we had kept up with demand by allowing new oil exploration and new refineries, we would have increased our own supply and would have prevented a lot of the things that are helping to cause the slowdown to our economy via higher prices.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:01 PM

251 posts, read 710,464 times
Quote:
Gas will be near $4.00/gallon by summer...and five dollar gas is in our future by the end of the decade. We can thank the other developing countries like China for the high demand for oil right now. This is way beyond the US economy and the middle east. Right now demand is higher than it has ever been. In 2000 - there were approximately 20 million cars in China...by 2010 there will be 200 million. Supply and demand at work here. This is why we (the US) needs to be able to drill in Alaska and develop more refineries to process the oil once we get it. High gas prices are here to stay. But in spite of the recent rise in prices - we still enjoy gas this about 50% of the cost of gas in Europe and Japan which suffer under $7-8.00/gallon gas.
We shouldn't have to do any of that stuff. The nation as a whole should promote development in city cores and push for mass transit other than busses. Instead of relying on gas, auto makers should start developing cars with fuel cells and power companies should start building fusion and cold fusion plants. If a high school teen can build a fusion generator in his garage, it can't be that hard for a power company to reproduce his machine on a larger scale.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:05 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
This is why we (the US) need to consider other modes of transportation, including better rail and bus service.

This is why we (the US) need to consider which vehicles we choose for transportation. You can get 55mpg or you can get 12mpg.

This means that we (the US) need to re-consider how we let our communities grow - if we continue to develop with the car and longer commute times as part of the plan, we increase our dependence upon oil. Any oil. If we re-develop our communities so that one does not *have* to drive to go to work, to the store, to the doctor etc and can rely more on foot/cycle or reasonable (fast and frequent and accessible) public transportation, we'll all be in better shape.
That is only going to happen if we (the US) want to change. I personally can't stand living on top and under and next to people. I can't wait till i can afford to buy a house on an acre at the edge of the city. Not all people want to live in condo towers or apartments. Not everyone hates suburbs with strip centers. Not all of we (the US) want to live in the densest city in america. I happen to love San Antonio and will take our traffic and smog over New York or LALA land any day.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:53 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
That is only going to happen if we (the US) want to change. I personally can't stand living on top and under and next to people. I can't wait till i can afford to buy a house on an acre at the edge of the city. Not all people want to live in condo towers or apartments. Not everyone hates suburbs with strip centers. Not all of we (the US) want to live in the densest city in america. I happen to love San Antonio and will take our traffic and smog over New York or LALA land any day.
I live in a house on 1/4 acre walking distance to downtown.

I don't like living in NYC either and L.A. is the worst suburban metropolis in the world.

The problem is that we (the US) think that we can have everything, including more oil for less. Everything comes with a price, sometimes a high price. You may not be able to see environmental destruction as tangibly as you can feel the hit in your wallet (although there are many places you *can* see it quite clearly), doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

As for the pocketbook, I am quite happy to pay ~$35/month for gas.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:22 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Default Oil used for more than transportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
We shouldn't have to do any of that stuff. The nation as a whole should promote development in city cores and push for mass transit other than busses. Instead of relying on gas, auto makers should start developing cars with fuel cells and power companies should start building fusion and cold fusion plants. If a high school teen can build a fusion generator in his garage, it can't be that hard for a power company to reproduce his machine on a larger scale.
I agree on alternative uses for getting energy. The US has tripled it's use of windpower and will soon pass Germany as the #1 user of wind power within 5 years. However, crude oil is used in the manufacturing proccess of many materials and the continual rising costs of oil will not eliminate the US's dependance on oil consumption. Take carpet pads for example. Tremendous price increases in the manufacturing of carpet pads due to the rising oil costs. Carpet pads have tripled in price since 2004. It'd be great to all use wind/sun/etc power for transportation but everything is tied into one another making long term solutions more complex.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
This is why we (the US) need to consider other modes of transportation, including better rail and bus service.

This is why we (the US) need to consider which vehicles we choose for transportation. You can get 55mpg or you can get 12mpg.

This means that we (the US) need to re-consider how we let our communities grow - if we continue to develop with the car and longer commute times as part of the plan, we increase our dependence upon oil. Any oil. If we re-develop our communities so that one does not *have* to drive to go to work, to the store, to the doctor etc and can rely more on foot/cycle or reasonable (fast and frequent and accessible) public transportation, we'll all be in better shape.
Agree. Gasoline-powered cars have been the US since 1891. We need to move on to alternate fuel sources on a mass scale and let developing nations fight for dwindling supplies of oil.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:51 PM

138 posts, read 451,557 times
I don't know about the 200 thing that you mentioned made the price of diesel rise....I have had diesel for many years- in about 1975, it was about 30 cents cheaper than regular (I think that is about the correct difference)- as far as I can remember, diesel became more expensive then regular about 1990. I'm sure someone else can remember more accurately. There were no 'clean' incentives yet. Even with trying to make it cleaner, diesel is residual 'leftovers' from manufacturing gas. It makes no sense, except that it is a way for the crooked high execs to get more money. Now, as far as other countries gas costing double of what we have, it is true, but when I go to Europe, there are wonderful transit systems- CHEAP!! You can travel all over for $20/week. My truck now costs about $130 to fill. I use 1/2-1 tank a week. I would LOVE to have a public transportation system. I would use it. I am one of the people who try to use my vehicle as little as possible. I hitch a ride/carpool when possible. I see extremely few people carpooling- just guessing by looking at the vehicles that have only 1 person in it. I think until we sopt having the attitude that 'I'll pay that much- I can afford it', there will be no change. Just because you can afford it does not make it right. When gas is rationed like WWII, maybe 10 gallons per person per week, then there might start to ba a change. JMHO

Old 03-18-2008, 12:05 AM

679 posts, read 2,833,992 times
I'm paying $3.55 at USA stations. Shell and Chevron are approaching $4.00.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
Default run your car on water???

I wonder if this really works? Check it out:
Run Your Car on Water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio