Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 04:45 PM

1,038 posts, read 876,275 times

Advertisements

After living for a few years with the grocery hell that is the Dallas market, be glad you have HEB.

In some rare instances, competition is not always best for a consumer. With Kroger, Tom Thumb and other brands, Dallas pricing is still ridiculous, customer service terrible and overall, it feels as if every grocer couldn't care less to keep prices low and quality of experience high. A very 'take it or leave it' vibe.

HEB is something I miss A LOT about San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 09:39 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
I got excited until I realised how old this news is. I am not a big fan of HEB personally. I welcome all competition. I enjoy going out of town and using the Lowes in small towns.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:43 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I got excited until I realised how old this news is. I am not a big fan of HEB personally. I welcome all competition. I enjoy going out of town and using the Lowes in small towns.
Blasphemy!!! Off with his head!! Lol

Old 07-20-2020, 12:57 PM

216 posts, read 132,384 times
Default The HEB Riots,

The knave!!!!! To the Rack!!! There seems to be an undercurrent of unrest and a traitor is surely afoot!
Long live HEB!
QUOTE=Remington Steel;58691815]Blasphemy!!! Off with his head!! Lol[/quote]

Old 07-21-2020, 04:12 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
HEB probably chased them out. That was to be expected. They rule here and don't want any competition, even so insignificant. Just wonder, why is that allowed?
I like HEB, but would appreciate more variety.
The H-E-B grocery mafia strikes again. They may not have hit men but they are certainly engaged in antitrust tactics to be able to scare off so many competitors.

As I’ve learned when I moved to San Antonio. Texans are loyal to their own brands to a fault.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:28 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
The H-E-B grocery mafia strikes again. They may not have hit men but they are certainly engaged in antitrust tactics to be able to scare off so many competitors.

I wasn't that fond of HEB being the main (or pretty much only) grocer in the area for many years as I remember San Antonio before when we had Albertson's, Kroger, K-mart, etc. We had options back then.

However having spent a lot of time recently in the DFW area where my mother moved several years ago....even she says that HEB knocks the competition out of the water and prefers to shop at HEB. Same for my brother who lives in Houston. It is not antitrust tactics. HEB just simply knows what they are doing to appeal. As others pointed out, they handle emergency situations better than the competition too.

Technically we do have competition too. Probably not the type you would shop at depending on your tastes and location preference.

Trader Joe's
Whole Foods
Natural Grocers
Sprout's
La Michoacana
La Fiesta
Arlan's

Lots of others smaller ones like:

Royal Blue Grocery (for downtown)
Tim's Oriental Market (for asian products)
Many other smaller options not listed......

Last edited by Azure110; 07-21-2020 at 06:41 AM..

Old 07-21-2020, 09:00 AM

Since someone mentioned Lowes, I was reminded of "Super S" some of which converted to Lowes. I know a few of them are still around but all seem too far away to shop at.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:16 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I wasn't that fond of HEB being the main (or pretty much only) grocer in the area for many years as I remember San Antonio before when we had Albertson's, Kroger, K-mart, etc. We had options back then.

However having spent a lot of time recently in the DFW area where my mother moved several years ago....even she says that HEB knocks the competition out of the water and prefers to shop at HEB. Same for my brother who lives in Houston. It is not antitrust tactics. HEB just simply knows what they are doing to appeal. As others pointed out, they handle emergency situations better than the competition too.

Technically we do have competition too. Probably not the type you would shop at depending on your tastes and location preference.

Trader Joe's
Whole Foods
Natural Grocers
Sprout's
La Michoacana
La Fiesta
Arlan's

Lots of others smaller ones like:

Royal Blue Grocery (for downtown)
Tim's Oriental Market (for asian products)
Many other smaller options not listed......
If you could do all of your shopping at just one of these stores it would work out, but I don't think you can unfortunately

Old 07-21-2020, 09:47 AM

216 posts, read 132,384 times
I did not like Albertson's either because they seemed to be the most expensive. I mean the stores were nice enough inside, yes.
Wal-Mart is another option.Walmart has a grocery store only, location, with a gas station included. In my favorite area the northwest. On the corner of Military Drive and Hunt Lane. [quote=Azure110;58699163]I wasn't that fond of HEB being the main (or pretty much only) grocer in the area for many years as I remember San Antonio before when we had Albertson's, Kroger, K-mart, etc. We had options back then.

However having spent a lot of time recently in the DFW area where my mother moved several years ago....even she says that HEB knocks the competition out of the water and prefers to shop at HEB.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
If you could do all of your shopping at just one of these stores it would work out, but I don't think you can unfortunately
True. La Michoacana and La Fiesta are probably one stop shop for some people though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio