Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:26 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times

Advertisements

Well, what would a South Texas weekend be without having a few friends over for a BBQ? Just put 40 lbs of shoulder clod on a bit ago - will add 15 lbs of chicken, and the same in sausage tomorrow, an' have about 100 folks over from all over - even Canada.

Can't think of a better way to break in the new pit I just finished building!
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend plans....-starting-meat.jpg   Weekend plans....-time-cook-.jpg   Weekend plans....-wrapping.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 06:20 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Damn!!!! Just Damn!!!!! You should be PROUD to have built such a beauty! Awesomeness!

Old 09-23-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Damn!!!! Just Damn!!!!! You should be PROUD to have built such a beauty! Awesomeness!
<blush> Thanks. Not my biggest - I've been known to get volunteered for some stuff.....lol Built the one out at Gruene Harley, too - that's one I don't plan on EVER trying to out-do.
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend plans....-gruene-pit.jpg  

Old 09-23-2017, 06:31 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default Really Nice,

So? Gave up on getting a Brick Pit built aye Redneck? I can hardly believe you could not find a bricklayer to build a pit. I suppose you would have to know some actual bricklayers personally who could have done it as a favor.
I don't know.

I like the double doors. Very Handy it seems. Looks like a man's pit to me though . A friend of mine has one very similar to it, in fact almost exactly, except that the difference is- it only has one wide lid and so the lid is very heavy to hoist open. The lid is probably I estimate sixty pounds in weight.
It is easy to operate too, simply open the end door and toss in a few logs. It is so heavy that tossing in the logs doesn't even move or shake it a bit. It also has wheels but these are useless, it is immensely heavy. The privacy gate had to be removed to get the thing into the back yard. It sure makes good Brisket - after 22 Hrs. that is. Congrats, she is a real beauty. I think a Winchester Rifle on the top would be more appropriate. To each his own though. Have fun breaking it in.

I own a regular HEB one and after twelve years the parts inside are beginning to show wear. Burn away that is. The outside of the cheap pit is fine. It is an improvement over my first one though it is. The first one was constructed from an old 55 gallon drum with the outsides painted silver with a piece of angle iron for a handle- the bottom burned out of it eventually so I put a piece of corrugated stainless steel roofing in the bottom of it which extended the life of the pit for a few years..Hell I don't remember , I think I paid only fifty bucks for that first one originally around 30 years ago.

It that a segment of 36 and 24 inch inch steel pipe used for underground natural gas pipeline?
I hope that is coffee in that cup?

Old 09-23-2017, 06:34 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Looks great, T.R.! We want to see the "after" pictures, too!

Old 09-23-2017, 06:44 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
HOLY MOLY!!!! Since my DH is an "Officially sanctioned judge for the Memphis in May World Class BBQ Competition" each year, I am SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED!!!!!!!

That AND you got more than just PORK on the menu!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL MIM is PORK ONLY competition.......this TX girl needs some beef/chicken/sausage in the mix!

Old 09-23-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
So? Gave up on getting a Brick Pit built aye Redneck?
Yeah, at least for now. Had several come by and talk the talk, but none that actually gave me a quote

Quote:
I like the double doors. Very Handy it seems. Looks like a man's pit to me though . A friend of mine has one very similar to it, in fact almost exactly, except that the difference is- it only has one wide lid and so the lid is very heavy to hoist open. The lid is probably I estimate sixty pounds in weight.
Yeah - the one I replaced this one with (in fact, I reused the base of it) had the single door. I swore when it finally burned out, I was gonna replace it with one w/double doors and a slide-out rack. Just didn't realize it was gonna take it 30 years to finally burn out....lol

Quote:
It is easy to operate too, simply open the end door and toss in a few logs. It is so heavy that tossing in the logs doesn't even move or shake it a bit. It also has wheels but these are useless, it is immensely heavy.
I knew this one wouldn't be worth a hoot on wheels, given the overall weight. Besides, with the skids on it, I can winch it onto a trailer if need be. When I relocated the old pit here back when we had the house built, the construction super was kind enough to get one of their guys to take it off the trailer and locate it into the back yard before they erected the fence. I later moved it onto a pad I poured on the other side of the yard, but I just laid roller pipes, got a couple of buddies and horsed it on over.

Quote:
Congrats, she is a real beauty. I think a Winchester Rifle on the top would be more appropriate. To each his own though. Have fun breaking it in.
Thanks - I've always enjoyed projects like this - although as I get older, it takes me longer.....lol Since I collect 1911's, it's a fitting topper....

Quote:
I own a regular HEB one and after twelve years the parts inside are beginning to show wear. Burn away that is. The outside of the cheap pit is fine. It is an improvement over my first one though it is. The first one was constructed from an old 55 gallon drum with the outsides painted silver with a piece of angle iron for a handle- the bottom burned out of it eventually so I put a piece of corrugated stainless steel roofing in the bottom of it which extended the life of the pit for a few years..Hell I don't remember , I think I paid only fifty bucks for that first one originally around 30 years ago.
Yeah - I had one of those 55 gallon drum pits....same thing - the thin metal burns out quick.

Quote:
It that a segment of 36 and 24 inch inch steel pipe used for underground natural gas pipeline?
I hope that is coffee in that cup?
Yessir - another lesson learned on the first one. It only had a 10" x 16" long firebox pipe, so it was always a hassle getting the wood in it. This one is 30" long - LOTS easier to feed!

Yes, there's coffee in the cup......kinda.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Looks great, T.R.! We want to see the "after" pictures, too!
Will do! Or - you still have my card - addy is on it. Come on by about 2 and sample for yourself!

Old 09-23-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
HOLY MOLY!!!! Since my DH is an "Officially sanctioned judge for the Memphis in May World Class BBQ Competition" each year, I am SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED!!!!!!!

That AND you got more than just PORK on the menu!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL MIM is PORK ONLY competition.......this TX girl needs some beef/chicken/sausage in the mix!
Yeah - beef is my preference, especially shoulder clod. Although I DO have a helluva pulled pork recipe that I whip up from time to time, along with sweet cole slaw....

Old 09-24-2017, 09:47 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,141 times
So what time should I be over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: