Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 12,327 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to SA at the beginning of June from the Boston area. I have only been to SA twice but loved it and loved the people.
I'm coming down at the end of April to find a place to live. I need some advice on where I should look to live and where I should stable my horse.
I'm single, female, late 30s, own a small business and work out of my home. Travel occasionally - convenient to be nearish the airport.

I live in horse country north of Boston, but I'm a city girl at heart and have lived in Paris, Rome, Shanghai and New York. Missing the sound of honking horns and ambulances. Love living in the city, but don't want to spend too much time driving to see my horse. I think the hardest thing will be adjusting to being in my car for longer than 1/2 hour to get places.
Would probably prefer a small house or condo to an apartment. Only need a 1 br 1 bthm. I'm not a "development" or "gated community" type but have looked at some places on line advertising "decorative bars" on the windows. I'd be happy to live in an up-and-coming neighborhood as long as it's not too long in the up-and-coming. Don't need area with a good school.

Need access to a good food store (Whole Foods or equivalent), source for good home-made tortillas and a yoga studio where they teach Vinyasa or Power yoga.

I have a 15 year old horse that I ride for pleasure and like to see every day. Currently I have him in a barn across the street, which is great. More interested in a riding facility that has a riding arena rather than trails.

I have a friend who lived in SA who told me that there are some apartment communities on the north side of the city that have horse boarding facilities as well. What's the south side of the city like?

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 11:34 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,688 times
I've known a couple of people with horses who lived near Boerne. One of them lived in Grey Forest, but moved from there to Boerne because there were rocks mixed with the soil in Grey Forest that harmed his horse's feet, he said.

Moderator cut: member stated they have been to S.A. twice

Last edited by da jammer; 03-16-2008 at 02:57 PM..

Old 03-16-2008, 01:37 PM

791 posts, read 3,959,405 times
Welcome to SA Cupcake! Based on your preferences for city living, but ability to be close to horse boarding facilities, I would highly recommend you consider the Mahncke Park, Government Hill, and Tobin Hill areas. These are close-in neighborhoods with very convenient & quick access to the airport, and you are still very close to several horse facilities in the Oakwell Farms and Rittiman Road areas (5-10 mins away). There is also a great yoga studio (The Synergy Studio) nearby in the Pearl district development (Broadway & Grayson). You'll also find these neighborhoods close to SA's greatest grocery store (Central Market) as well as a 5 minute shot up 281 to the Quarry where SA's only Whole Foods market is (although I heard a new one is planned for the far north side sometime in the near future).

San Antonio is just beginning to experience the redevelopment wave that's hit many larger, more urban centers across the country, so you'll see a lot of great new/renovated spaces for living/entertainment in the River North/Broadway area opening up over the next couple years. Good luck with your search and welcome to SA!

Last edited by CelesteDF; 03-16-2008 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: mind like a steel sieve

Old 03-16-2008, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 12,327 times
Default Thank you both

Very helpful. I looked at the websites for the Synergy Yoga Studio (looks great!) and Central Market. Also very helpful to know about Mahn Park, Govt Hill and Tobin Hill. Had help from someone else on the horse front, but seems like north and NW are most horsey. Can't wait to move! I was snowing here today!

Last edited by Cupcake29; 03-16-2008 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-17-2008, 08:34 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,541 times
Also consider some of the neighborhoods of Southtown - Lavaca and further south, Highland Park. A little bit farther from Central Market and Whole Foods, but not much (15 mins to each - one via surface roads one via highway). I don't know about the horse, both areas are easy access to large open areas in the south where horses would be happy, but not sure about stables there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio