U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:07 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,107,394 times

Advertisements

Hey! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

My husband and I are buying our first home. We love the area around Woodlawn Lake. We've pinpointed three homes that are for sale in that area in our price range (which is miniscule, frankly).

We've looked at the crime stats online and have driven through the 'hood and around the houses we're looking at at all times of night and day. So far, all looks kosher - nothing weird, no loud parties - BUT...what's the real scoop? Anyone live in the, uh, less pricey parts of Jefferson/Monticello Park?

(I did a search and didn't really find anything - I apologize in advance if there's a thread already out there and would welcome the bumping of appropriate threads. Thanks!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 08:37 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,179,453 times
Oh ok, I have lived in San Antonio my whole life. I went to Jefferson Highschool and graduated in 1970. I grew up in this area and I always loved it. Wood lawn lake is this wonderful place I remember as a kid. My dad was a Ham radio enthusiast and they would hold field days. I didn't really understand it but a lot of people would set up tents and stay up all night talking to each other. Jefferson High school is a really good place to go to school. You just never hear about it. I still know people who live down there but most have moved on. I always watch the news but I never hear anything bad happening down there. If Rosemary or Pill ( Sylvia) is reading this please Email me

Old 03-16-2008, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the information, Dwangle. It's a neighborhood that reminds me so much of home (I was born and raised in a farm community in central Illinois, in a house that was built in 1904). I love the old homes, the big trees, the neighborhood feel, and I don't think the crime is bad but I'd just like to hear from some real residents of the area.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:05 PM

18 posts, read 26,723 times
I'm still checking out areas in S.A. as we are moving there this summer. I've not heard of Woodlawn Lake. What part of town is it in? It sounds lovely

Old 03-16-2008, 09:09 PM

Woodlawn Lake is in the Deco District just north of downtown - it's inside the Loop (410) and just off Fredericksburg Rd. It's an older neighborhood, as suggested by the name "Deco District" so the homes are older, built in the '20s, '30s, and '40s. It's going through some huge changes right now - lots of gentrification going on - my husband and I want to get in before we're priced right out the neighborhood!

Monticello Park and Jefferson are other neighborhoods near there. I believe Monticello Park is a city historic district (but I could be wrong).

The zip code is 78201, if you want to start looking at homes. Just don't buy one that I want!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 AM

18 posts, read 26,723 times
Wow! there sure are a lot of interesting looking homes in that area. I wonder if the schools there are good?
I'd love to fix up a place & not be in a "cookie cutter" home. Then again, with 2 little ones this may not be the best time for us to take on something like that...sure is tempting though!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 AM

4,275 posts, read 8,675,856 times
I *love* Woodlawn Lake. We looked there but at the time felt the prices were higher than we wanted to pay for a home needing work. Then, Lavaca was still cheaper. It's switched though now. Our friends live in Woodlawn Lake - just e. of Zarzamora so the less 'ritzy' side - lovely area, wonderful homes, great community.

I think parts of Woodlawn Lake saw some typical inner city issues and white flight for awhile. And it borders and area that while not particularly 'bad', is the 'scary west side' people worry about (I say 'scary' sarcastically - there are pockets of 'bad' and plenty of good). In recent years it's really come back to its former glory. If they can fix up all those great Deco buildings on Fred. Rd, it'll be amazing.

I do wish we were near Woodlawn Lake sometimes, as it'd be wonderful to go running around the lake! But we like our downtown hood too

Old 03-17-2008, 11:23 AM

823 posts, read 1,543,399 times
I know there have been some other threads about the Monticello/ Woodlawn/ Jefferson area, but to sum up: Great homes, great neighbors, not-so-great schools (in my opinion), an improving commercial area (slowly, though), and great access to downtown (soon to be even better with San Antonio's first rapid-bus-transit line). The neighborhoods are very politically active, and it is not by coincidence that the former mayor (Ed Garza) and former and current councilpersons call the area "home." An ad by the Monticello neighborhood in a recent art tour booklet captured it best: "Our residents are just as eclectic as their homes."

The area has gentrified a bit in the last decade, but (as a neighbor told me) it was never really a "bad" area. Prices are all over the map - from probably $75,000 for a smaller unrestored home to over $500,000 for one of the grand homes, with the average probably about $165,000. The area is still appreciating but not at the huge percentages it was just a year ago (it calmed down a bit once flippers realized they couldn't get the huge profits like in CA).

If you want to look at the streets in Google's street view, the area is primarily bounded by Fredericksburg Rd. on the east, Woodlawn on the south, Babcock on the north, and Wilson on the west. My favorite streets are West Gramercy, West Kings Highway, and Summit (all west of Lake street), and all of Mary Louise (site of a 1920's architect home tour) and North Drive (smaller houses in an "English cottage" theme). Within the adjacent Jefferson neighborhood (78228 zip), I really like the "President streets" - Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton. In my opinion, these streets are undervalued which is surprising because the homes are well kept. Perhaps it is because they are not in the official "historic district," but they could (or should) be.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:19 PM

378 posts, read 1,338,512 times
I agree it' a nice area, a safe pocket in a bad area. I don't agree with the schoo system there not so good schools. I would suggest to move somewhere else if you want to raise kids. Even though it's a safe pocket it's safe cause the adults there know not to get in stupid stuff tha would get them in trouble with the law. However preteens/teenagers are stupid and livingby such area they will be introduced to gangs and drugs. Now if you do move here I would talk to your kids at key ages lets say 11 cause this the age kids get into these things. my key board is kinda messed please so excuss the tying.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:28 PM

823 posts, read 1,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
I would suggest to move somewhere else if you want to raise kids. Even though it's a safe pocket it's safe cause the adults there know not to get in stupid stuff tha would get them in trouble with the law. However preteens/teenagers are stupid and livingby such area they will be introduced to gangs and drugs.
I respectfully disagree. There are many great kids being raised in the neighborhood - it just happens that most go to either private or the magnet schools in NISD or NEISD. I can count on one hand (minus some fingers) the number of "problem kids" that we have had in the neighborhood, and that is because NO area is perfect. The parents are very committed to ensuring that their kids are well-educated, and that they make the right choices. In fact, I believe they are far luckier to live in such an eclectic area! As for drugs/ gangs, I have a friend who lives in "desirable Stone Oak" whose next door neighbor had their kid arrested for selling drugs, again because NO area is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or