Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:59 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
I don't think they're packed every day, but they do get busy! We've never been 'uncomfortable' going to the pools. The older pool also has a small child's pool that's only a couple of feet deep.
Concur. The pools are nice and not that busy.

Quote:
Did I mention that they also have water aerobics, yoga, and a cooking class held by a chef?
$$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Westcreek is pretty well established and not a bad place to live. It used to be a lot more quiet and there have been certain issues, but it's better than most. I've lived there since 2001.
I think one of the main issues is that folks come in and think it's a no/low crime area when in fact we have just as much crime as any of the surrounding areas.

We got that wake up call about two years ago when we had our car broken into along with about a half dozen others.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:40 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
With all this hiring, how much is Westcreek's total yearly "personnel" budget? The last time I saw one was about 3-4 years ago and it was $150,000.
That's a good question. I don't get to see those papers, I'm just a volunteer!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:57 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,034 times
Quote:
That's a good question. I don't get to see those papers, I'm just a volunteer!
Shouldn't everyone who is a member of the VWCOA get (or at least be able to see) a copy of the budget???

Old 04-23-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Shouldn't everyone who is a member of the VWCOA get (or at least be able to see) a copy of the budget???
Good point!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
The budgetary information was handed out at the annual board meeting where they elected the new officers. Believe it was held in January/February?

IMHO this information should be posted on the website. I would also like to see detailed meeting minutes for ALL of the committees posted.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
The budgetary information was handed out at the annual board meeting where they elected the new officers. Believe it was held in January/February?

IMHO this information should be posted on the website. I would also like to see detailed meeting minutes for ALL of the committees posted.
Good idea! There are board meeting minutes on the website, CCR's, forms, etc on the site already. The site is about to undertake a major overhaul, so maybe we can add those items when we do it. Their website was always done as a 'part time' thing - they had a webmaster maintain it, but the original design is a bit old and 'mixed' internally - some old info and links, etc.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:16 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post

I had the flu this year's meeting. The last time they did not hand out any budget info. I'm willing to bet the personnel cost is definitely higher. To me it seems that they are cutting corners or taking on too much. They put a sidewalk in next to the pool area at the older park, but the rest of the park needs a makeover. Also, how about the missing trees in the median on Military Drive West? When are they going to replace them?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I had the flu this year's meeting. The last time they did not hand out any budget info. I'm willing to bet the personnel cost is definitely higher. To me it seems that they are cutting corners or taking on too much. They put a sidewalk in next to the pool area at the older park, but the rest of the park needs a makeover. Also, how about the missing trees in the median on Military Drive West? When are they going to replace them?

They're only doing what the residents are asking! People complained when the summer bball league didn't repeat, but no one came to help out to keep it running! My wife and I helped, and neither of our kids played. So now they've hired someone - and now there's a soccer team, and the swim team is starting, and more this summer. The volunteer folks have been the meat of the recreation here. Remember the Sports Park Committee? ENTIRELY volunteer. Ask Ken, or Pat, or Amy, how much work it is. And no matter what the vols did, the residents always found new things to complain about - how something was/wasn't done right, doing this instead of that, etc. But who comes to help out?? Right now the SPC has been absorbed into the Rec dept., as the WC Rec Team. Sandy, her assistant, and Al. Al is moving over as head coach for all of the sports leagues. The rest are volunteer. I can recall less than ten people that we can count on to help out for events. Think of how much work goes into the Rummage Sale alone!

IMHO Sandy (rec director) is doing an excellent job. I think our HOA fees are being well spent on the staff they have now. Our fees are only in the $60/quarter range!

They have lots of plans for the park also - but, all the plans have to be voted on, finalized, put into motion, etc etc. There's a lot to do. The sidewalk was necessary, but it's only one step to making everything better. We got a new community center, a new pool, a second picnic (oktoberfest)...I think we're doing great.

I *do* know that the HOA loses a ton of money to repairs/vandalism. Mark, the neighborhood maintenance guy, can attest to that. Graffitti (if on WC property) is usually dealt with the same day it's reported. Yes they may cut corners on some items, usually to save $$, but have you tried to manage a 3500 home community? I don't want that job! They're a non-profit on limited budget...

/soapbox!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Quote:

They're only doing what the residents are asking! People complained when the summer bball league didn't repeat, but no one came to help out to keep it running! My wife and I helped, and neither of our kids played. So now they've hired someone - and now there's a soccer team, and the swim team is starting, and more this summer. The volunteer folks have been the meat of the recreation here. Remember the Sports Park Committee? ENTIRELY volunteer. Ask Ken, or Pat, or Amy, how much work it is. And no matter what the vols did, the residents always found new things to complain about - how something was/wasn't done right, doing this instead of that, etc. But who comes to help out?? Right now the SPC has been absorbed into the Rec dept., as the WC Rec Team. Sandy, her assistant, and Al. Al is moving over as head coach for all of the sports leagues. The rest are volunteer. I can recall less than ten people that we can count on to help out for events. Think of how much work goes into the Rummage Sale alone!

IMHO Sandy (rec director) is doing an excellent job. I think our HOA fees are being well spent on the staff they have now. Our fees are only in the $60/quarter range!

They have lots of plans for the park also - but, all the plans have to be voted on, finalized, put into motion, etc etc. There's a lot to do. The sidewalk was necessary, but it's only one step to making everything better. We got a new community center, a new pool, a second picnic (oktoberfest)...I think we're doing great.

I *do* know that the HOA loses a ton of money to repairs/vandalism. Mark, the neighborhood maintenance guy, can attest to that. Graffitti (if on WC property) is usually dealt with the same day it's reported. Yes they may cut corners on some items, usually to save $$, but have you tried to manage a 3500 home community? I don't want that job! They're a non-profit on limited budget...

/soapbox!
Since you brought up the matter about a paid coach. Why should my dollars go to pay for a coach? What does that position have to do with managing an HOA? If people want a sports coach, then let them pay for it. The roughly $750,000 + dollars taken in each year by our HOA needs to be spent on maintaining/improving the areas, not providing sports teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: