Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 02:11 PM

531 posts, read 2,073,808 times

Advertisements

Why are property taxes in San Antonio so high?

Are not people angry about these taxes?

Do not people get taxed out of their homes?

If San Antonio lowerd the property taxes people would invest like crazy in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 06:00 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
Why are property taxes in San Antonio so high?

Are not people angry about these taxes?

Do not people get taxed out of their homes?

If San Antonio lowerd the property taxes people would invest like crazy in San Antonio.
I was very surprised how high property taxes were when I first looked into building a home. Some say it makes up for no state income taxes.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:36 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post
I was very surprised how high property taxes were when I first looked into building a home. Some say it makes up for no state income taxes.
How can it make up for no state income taxes when state income taxes may be $2500 and property taxes may be up to 5 times that? I'd rather forgo the property taxes and pay state income taxes. Also, if they instituted a "book rental" in the schools, like we had to pay when growing up, that would eliminate some of the burder on the taxpayers...even $25 per child. It would bring funds to the school. There ARE ways they can ease the property tax burden on homes..but for some reason, they are not making the effort. Another thing, there should be an audit called by the citizens to find out exactly where and how are taxes are being spent. It is public record. I'd bet so much waste would be found. Oh yes, property taxes COULD be lowered if people took a stance and made them accountable for every cent of the people's tax dollars that are spent. I know, because I work in local government and I know it can be done.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:06 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Default Property (School) Taxes in NW San Antonio

texasdreamin,

Don't hold your breath waiting for people in northwest San Antonio (Northside ISD) protesting property taxes any time soon. Every three years they approve large bond (we're talking around $400 million) issues to build more schools. Currently, we're paying 27 cents for every $100 dollar value. This is on top of the current $1.50 assessment. BTW, there is another huge NISD bond election coming up in May 2007.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:30 PM

I won't. I figure if it hasn't been done, yet, then it probably won't be. I am just perplexed as to why they are allowed to get a way with it. People will be taxed right out of their homes. I was looking at the tax payments for the land that I just bought. I could not believe that 1/8th is going to the county and about 1/24th is going to EMS, a few dollars to roads and the rest to the school system. Absolutely unbelievable. No...people aren't going to stand up and fight. They will just let the ripoff continue, until it gets to the point that they can't pay their taxes. Can you imagine? If there is no cap and taxes keep going up...what happens when it is no longer 27 cents per $100/valuation...but 87cents. That's what will happen if people do not try to do something about it. The cost of the taxes are a whole "nother" mortgage payment. I don't know how people afford it when salaries are not that great.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:45 PM

77 posts, read 93,376 times
I know this is a touchy subject from earlier threads, but the property tax is pretty outrageous...
We just bought a house in the northwest part of San Antonio and property tax will add about $500 a month to our mortgage. We don't even have kids in school anymore. The realtor said everyone complains, but that they pay it because "they have to". Also, we already come from a "no state income tax"
and our property taxes were only 1.50% so I just don't get it. All I know is I will be finding a job pronto.
Can anyone talk about the Homestead Exemption and how that works??? Maybe it will be explained to us at the closing, but I'm just curious how you get that taken care of.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:51 PM

217 posts, read 670,718 times
Taxes are necessary to build schools for all of the families that are moving in. Texans are very welcoming and embracing, and that's great. It does come with a price tag though when taxes come due.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:00 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Default Bexar County Property Tax Web Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmypfc View Post
I know this is a touchy subject from earlier threads, but the property tax is pretty outrageous...
We just bought a house in the northwest part of San Antonio and property tax will add about $500 a month to our mortgage. We don't even have kids in school anymore. The realtor said everyone complains, but that they pay it because "they have to". Also, we already come from a "no state income tax"
and our property taxes were only 1.50% so I just don't get it. All I know is I will be finding a job pronto.
Can anyone talk about the Homestead Exemption and how that works??? Maybe it will be explained to us at the closing, but I'm just curious how you get that taken care of.

You can apply for the Homestead Exemption if you were living in your house after January 1st (for example, if you moved in your house on Dec 23, 2005, you can apply for the exemption; however, if you moved in your home April 3, 2006, you can not apply for the exemption until after January 1, 2007). Here is the web site to get the form:

http://www.bcad.org/exemption_forms.htm

This web site, BCAD.org, has all the information about any property in Bexar County and you can search by name or address. This way you can look at similar houses in your area and see if you're paying more or less and protest if you want (the form and rules are on this web site). As for the Homestead Exemption, here is what it gets you.

NISD (Northside School District): $15,000 off your total home value (you save around $225 on a house value at $125,000)
Bexar Co. Rd and Flood: $3,000 off
SA River Authority: $5,000 off

The last two do not amount to much of a savings. The best savings will come when you, or your husband reach 65 and your school taxes are frozen.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
The best savings will come when you, or your husband reach 65 and your school taxes are frozen.
Ha, ha...I guess they figure that at THAT age, you won't be putting any more children in the school...so they give you a break.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:11 PM

546 posts, read 3,103,922 times
Oh man, don't get me started. First off, I don't have kids, don't particularly want them, but I HAVE to flip the bill for their education in the form of an insanely high property tax. This drives me nuts. And I know, I know, "our kids are the future," and all that mumbo jumbo, but good Lord, Texas has the worst school system ever, so you'd think we would pay a little less in any case. In a nutshell, I'm more than glad to pay for EMS, the roads, some of the more worthwhile social programs, etc., but I really think the educational system should be funded primarily by the parents, perhaps a sliding scale type of deal. I mean if I had kids I wouldn't subject them to the lousy public schools anyway - private all the way. Okay, got that off my chest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio