Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:01 PM

378 posts, read 1,441,863 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I'm wrong but I saw higher numbers in the labor force then the non-labor force which contradicts your post. Again correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-25-2008 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: quote removed from deleted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I guess Washington D.C. also has a lack of education. Going by it's skyline, has the be one of the least educated regions in the country then. Great reason? No hating on you, but you make yourself seem uneducated about San Antonio facts.
No but it's restriction zone can help you with D.C's skyline question. Yeah I also put that on a pervious post, anyway the District of Columbia is know for the strict restrictions that no building can be over 13 stories tall. I like it that way though cause it give the city a unique flavor that no other large city has in the US.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:10 PM

37 posts, read 35,394 times
Quote:
Thank you, and San Antonio has it's strict restrictions in the heart of it's historic urban core as well. Not as strict as D.C. but not anything as lenient as Austin's, Dallas or certainly Houston's. It has not anything to do with level of education. San Antonio has a well educated workforce, strong corporate base, and a large college population.

I have been to metro D.C many times,Tyson Corner, Arlington have some highrises but no real major skyline for a metro of 6 million people. Oh yea did you forget the 555 ft Washington Monument?
SA's regulations are only for the areas near The Alamo, not all of Downtown. DC is the ENTIRE district. And Arlington has more highrises Downtown than SA's Downtown and Austin's put together. That, and it also isn't the only business district in the area. Go a little further north near Tyson's Corner and Rossyln's, and you have more highrises. And you should know that the Washington Monument is the exception. The Washington Monument is not a highrise office, hotel, residential, etc., tower the last time I checked .
Quote:
Actually there is 6 Fortune 500 companies.

At&T
Valero Energy- Largets oil company in AMerica and now bigger than Exxon-Mobil. That says a lot right there about a city.
Nustar Oil
Clear Channel-
Tesoro Energy
USAA
Valero isn't bigger than Exxon. Not even close as an overall company. ExxonMobil has over five times as many employees (21,000 for Valero compared to 107,000 for ExxonMobil).

Old 03-23-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Use your heads people. SA is home to 3 Fortune 500 energy companies, the world's largest telecommunications company, the largest medical center in the South-Central Texas region, several universities, several banks, and a huge insurance/investment company. These organizations put hundreds of thousands of white-collar jobs into the local economy. To people cruising around SW Military Dr. or down Fred Rd. inside 410, SA might seem like a blue collar city, but I can assure you there are many "white-collar" jobs to be had.

BTW, I work for Harte-Hanks here in Kansas City (H-H is a multinational direct marketing firm based in SA, for those who don't know), and though I work in a cubicle, in an office, operating Windows Excel and a copy machine every day, I get paid an hourly wage. Does that make me white collar or blue collar?? Hmm. . .
seems boring. I could never do that for a living your one brave soul.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:25 PM

251 posts, read 710,133 times
Quote:
Austin
Atavida-416 ft. in construction
T Stacy & Associates- 805 ft. Approved
Austonian- 683 ft. construction
He was asking for just commercial highrises, not so much residential and mixed use.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:26 PM

362 posts, read 1,057,644 times
[quote=traveler guy;3230884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schertz1 View Post

Well I didn't give you the buildings but I gave you a whole data base that gives you the info you want. and since you want to know here it goes
Austin

Houston
Memorial Hermann Tower- 500 ft. construction
One Park Place- 501 ft. construction
there are more but these are examples of what's happening there.

Also a janitor is a blue collar job no matter where your cleaning up it's a blue collar job. I also mislabeled the military that's white collar.

iT's 705 feet and is not an office tower, it is condos and retail. I think it fell though and will not be built. Actually it says vision, so still a fantasy.

501 Congress Avenue, Austin

The TJ Assoc is a porposed 30 story.
T. Stacy & Associates Office Tower, Austin

Old 03-23-2008, 08:38 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
seems boring. I could never do that for a living your one brave soul.
lol, thanks, but it's still way better than working a call center

Old 03-23-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
He was asking for just commercial highrises, not so much residential and mixed use.
Well, I can only think of one in Austin right now (Museum Tower-30 Floors). In Houston, there is MainPlace (630 ft-47 Floors), Discovery Tower (32-Floors), Houston Pavilions Tower (apart of a mixed-use development-15 Floors), Six Houston Center (30-Floors), and Gateway's Tower (proposed 50-Floors). I'm not too familiar with Dallas to give a proper list.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:42 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,793 times
[quote=traveler guy;3230884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schertz1 View Post

Well I didn't give you the buildings but I gave you a whole data base that gives you the info you want. and since you want to know here it goes
Austin
T Stacy isn't approved and the developer has been having lots of trouble securing financing, so it's not likely to get built any time soon.

And despite it's recent glut of residential high-rises, there's still a troubling shortage of affordable housing in DT Austin, something SA has had for years. What SA lacks is the high-end stuff for rich retirees and young professionals. In SA, however, the more attractive areas for those people will be areas like Southtown, King William, and the '09. In other words, areas away from tourists, which is something else Austin doesn't have alot of

Old 03-23-2008, 08:46 PM

[quote=oldmanshirt;3231377]
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post

T Stacy isn't approved and the developer has been having lots of trouble securing financing, so it's not likely to get built any time soon.

And despite it's recent glut of residential high-rises, there's still a troubling shortage of affordable housing in DT Austin, something SA has had for years. What SA lacks is the high-end stuff for rich retirees and young professionals. In SA, however, the more attractive areas for those people will be areas like Southtown, King William, and the '09. In other words, areas away from tourists, which is something else Austin doesn't have alot of
On Austin: $500M investment may yield two new downtown towers - Austin Business Journal:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio