Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,361,698 times

Advertisements

The house posted above by Juventud Guerrero is a modest house that you could afford and it is
in a nicer, desirable area. Really. It takes time to find exactly what you want. You should see how picky
people can be. It is very difficult decision.
Take a good look, I would highly recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 07:22 PM

304 posts, read 293,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I can’t with you anymore. Sorry you are stuck here and sorry your not finding what your looking for, but dang you hate this town with a passion.
You confuse criticism with 'hate with a passion'. People are telling me to leave and go away because I don't want a new house in one of those new developments. I merely wanted a low cost house and in this particular case was interested in a revitalization project. Somehow this has outraged many of you.

I guess if I don't hate the city now, I soon will, especially with personalities like I've seen here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
The house posted above by Juventud Guerrero is a modest house that you could afford and it is
in a nicer, desirable area. Really. It takes time to find exactly what you want. You should see how picky
people can be. It is very difficult decision.
Take a good look, I would highly recommend.
Sure, it's great. I've already looked. The area is on my list of locations to search throughout this year. Sorry that I didn't reveal my every step and notetaking here.

It's not about being picky. I'm now having to defend myself against people who seem outraged at the idea that someone doesn't want a new house, doesn't like unfettered development, and states the fact that San Antonio isn't the affordable city it claims to be.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:52 PM

343 posts, read 303,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
You confuse criticism with 'hate with a passion'. People are telling me to leave and go away because I don't want a new house in one of those new developments. I merely wanted a low cost house and in this particular case was interested in a revitalization project. Somehow this has outraged many of you.

I guess if I don't hate the city now, I soon will, especially with personalities like I've seen here.

Sure, it's great. I've already looked. The area is on my list of locations to search throughout this year. Sorry that I didn't reveal my every step and notetaking here.

It's not about being picky. I'm now having to defend myself against people who seem outraged at the idea that someone doesn't want a new house, doesn't like unfettered development, and states the fact that San Antonio isn't the affordable city it claims to be.
It seems that youre frustrated. San Antonio is a large city in terms of land area and it seems like you have mostly been on the Northside; the Northside will be the most expensive part of the city in all aspects. I advise you to look more closely at other parts of the city and to spend more time in them

Take time to look at some homes and have patience, it helps to have a positive attitude. I do think several parts of the Westside will gentrify but it will take at least 15 years in my view. I wish you luck and try to be patient and stay positive.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
It seems that youre frustrated. San Antonio is a large city in terms of land area and it seems like you have mostly been on the Northside; the Northside will be the most expensive part of the city in all aspects. I advise you to look more closely at other parts of the city and to spend more time in them

Take time to look at some homes and have patience, it helps to have a positive attitude. I do think several parts of the Westside will gentrify but it will take at least 15 years in my view. I wish you luck and try to be patient and stay positive.
Yes, I'm frustrated at the responses I've received here. Mostly from those who seem angry that I don't believe this is an affordable city as it's touted or that I have zero interested in these new build neighborhoods. It's like asking about low cost established areas is enraging people.

I've been looking all over. That's how I came to learn about the west side revitalization project. It's how I've seen all of these massive new build subdivisions that have devastated the area. I've been actually looking around the city and trying to get to know it, though I'm not reporting back to all on an anonymous forum about my movements.

I appreciate the answer to my question about west side revitalization. As of now I can't see anything about the city that would encourage me to stay longer than the couple of years I'll need to be here so it's good to know areas where it wouldn't be smart to buy at this time.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:15 PM

San ANtonio is not for everybody, just wait until summertime. Watch for fire ants.
Give the city some time, it will grow on you.
Thousands upon thousands of military retirees upon being stationed at one of our military bases here end up retiring here.
Many return. Likely tens of thousands.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
San ANtonio is not for everybody, just wait until summertime. Watch for fire ants.
Give the city some time, it will grow on you.
Thousands upon thousands of military retirees upon being stationed at one of our military bases here end up retiring here.
Many return. Likely tens of thousands.
That bit of info is what gave me the most pause when it came up that I needed to get to SA asap. Being a disabled vet, I'm familiar with military culture and it's not really my thing. Perhaps something else about the city will grow on me. It would be convenient as the very little bit of (far extended) family I have left now live in Texas.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:03 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,468,473 times
I have encountered this very problem with several people in the last few years.
These " rumors " about how cheap land in Texas, and especially San Antonio is, make people move here in droves.
Yes, compared to many other parts of the country, it is/was cheap. The economy across the country was declining and in financial ruin...except for Texas.

Then here come all the Californians, people from the NE part of the country, etc . Flooding our housing market, and stretching our infrastructure to the limit.
Prices shot thru the roof for housing, rentals, raw land, and everything else because of it.

When my mother passed away in 2009, we were forced to sell my childhood home for less than half of what we could have gotten at today's inflated prices. Sold the house in the middle of the worst housing recession in 50 years. Great timing, huh.

All of those "rumors" about San Antonio being a cheap place to live and work were true just a few years ago...you just missed the gold rush by a few years.

I don't think anyone here is trying to be rude, it's just that the people like me that have been in San Antonio for many years , (or their entire lives) see this same scenario all the time. People read or hear about the cheap COL and all the employment opportunities, get excited and move here, then are frustrated that they can't buy a 100 acre ranch within a 10 minute commute to downtown for less than a years salary like they heard you could. (exaggerated, but you get my point)

Not too sure what this west side revitalization thing is you keep referring to is all about.....all I see is a sea of new houses being built for a lot of the transplants moving here.

You ask why do they keep building all these new houses, while destroying the beautiful land everywhere, and ignoring the infrastructure and traffic problems ? It's all about the money.
Personally, I hate it. Too crowded, too much traffic, things are becoming unaffordable for the average Joe.
They call this progress. Not me.

Best of luck in your home search...they are out there, just not as abundant as they once were.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:16 AM

Default Overpopulation here?

This is economic progress Txtea The population is always multiplying. One Can't stop it and economic growth rates are measured this way. More people is better. San Antonio is booming. The new mall.
As before- so far I like what San Antonio has become, but again I liked what it was before- even when it was but an overgrown cowtown. Somebody ought to Resurrect the enormous calf roping neon sign that used to sit atop Joske's and put it back up. You sure could see it from a long ways off.
Doing so might be in poor taste to all the hipsters which amass always in urban areas though.
Nowadays great portions of the city are like brand new, if one can afford to live there. Other portions are still pretty old.
I was sorry to hear of your mother's passing TxTea, this is sure, and of the financial hardships those difficult times placed upon your family. These things happen from time to time , and will, even here in the U.S. I am thinking of cashing in an annuity right now.... while times are good. It has really done well lately.
It really went down in value in 2008, but right now the value is way up surpassing easily its' worth before
the recession, nearly tripled.

You've a lot of company in your thinking as many thought the housing bubble was very bad,sure. Some, lost the entire value of their houses, and so just left it. The monthly payment was more than the underinflated worth of the house in the downturned market of 2009. Others lost their jobs and had to leave. Like in the Great Depression. I saw it up north. Yes. This scenario rarely happens here. Was it sad? I suppose it was sad to watch. Sure. U-Hauls and goodbyes. From the Moynihans. And others. She was a teacher.
As I age I have come to value the city more than ever. What it is, in comparison to where I have been. Whether those that migrate here to stay and are expecting paradise find just a regular large City or not.
Some just don't like it here, SO? Let them leave.
Sure the house lots are tiny, yes,(not mine) the water bill is high sure, but don't miss the bigger picture.
I think, believe, it is anything but that. Common. It is, cheaper living here staples are a bit cheaper,
gasoline certainly is, the Food and Mesquite Bar-B-Que is good and the weather could be a whole lot worse.
No State Income tax levied (sob's) and with a lot more freedoms than many other places in the country People living here sometimes don't realize. I believe it is a better place to live than most. Population density is so bad in huge areas of the country that only a shotgun can be used to hunt deer there. A bullet travels too far when shot from a rifle. It just might kill somebody.
To name a few things. Why list all about the good things.....about this entire area around San Antonio? Only more will come here. Fuel to the fire. People like 66 Raisins. I will only make it worse.

Hell, the land is, very cheap out in West Texas. So the claim about land being cheap here is not entirely
Rumors. I read about these west Texas land deals a long time ago. Out near Hudspeth right now, with $0.000 down and for $138.00 monthly one can buy a 20 acre ranch. Let them go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
I have encountered this very problem with several people in the last few years.
These " rumors " about how cheap land in Texas, and especially San Antonio is, make people move here in droves.
Yes, compared to many other parts of the country, it is/was cheap. The economy across the country was declining and in financial ruin...except for Texas.

Then here come all the Californians, people from the NE part of the country, etc . Flooding our housing market, and stretching our infrastructure to the limit.
Prices shot thru the roof for housing, rentals, raw land, and everything else because of it.

When my mother passed away in 2009, we were forced to sell my childhood home for less than half of what we could have gotten at today's inflated prices. Sold the house in the middle of the worst housing recession in 50 years. Great timing, huh.

All of those "rumors" about San Antonio being a cheap place to live and work were true just a few years ago...you just missed the gold rush by a few years.

I don't think anyone here is trying to be rude, it's just that the people like me that have been in San Antonio for many years , (or their entire lives) see this same scenario all the time. People read or hear about the cheap COL and all the employment opportunities, get excited and move here, then are frustrated that they can't buy a 100 acre ranch within a 10 minute commute to downtown for less than a years salary like they heard you could. (exaggerated, but you get my point)

Not too sure what this west side revitalization thing is you keep referring to is all about.....all I see is a sea of new houses being built for a lot of the transplants moving here.

You ask why do they keep building all these new houses, while destroying the beautiful land everywhere, and ignoring the infrastructure and traffic problems ? It's all about the money.
Personally, I hate it. Too crowded, too much traffic, things are becoming unaffordable for the average Joe.
They call this progress. Not me.

Best of luck in your home search...they are out there, just not as abundant as they once were.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post

I had first seen a house similar to this on zillow
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal..._zm/2_p/0_mmm/

the photos with stamps about the West Side House Reinvestment plan got me curious and I started coming across all sorts of article. Here's a pdf about the full plan https://www.sanantonio.gov/Portals/0...Plan_FINAL.pdf

Just googling and driving through, it seems like entire abandoned neighborhoods are being rebuilt with low cost housing and businesses are returning.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Fear Not,
You know Raisins, it is odd that you entered this comment here on the "Military Culture", and that "It really is not your thing.". Especially coming from a Disabled Veteran. I could not agree with you more.
I come from a very "military" immediate family myself. Grandfather worked on planes during World War two @ Kelley, uncle in The Big One South Pacific, Dad Korea and then began a Civil Serv.career that began here , Son Phil Special Forces in Kabul, Afghanistan. Brother Viet Nam. None wounded. The number goes up considering cousins. Sister also worked here in Civil Service.
If you don't have to be in the workforce: You won't encounter the military culture here, don't worry about that. Welcome to San Antonio.
I commend you for your service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
That bit of info is what gave me the most pause when it came up that I needed to get to SA asap. Being a disabled vet, I'm more than very familiar with military culture and the " It's not really my thing" comment. Perhaps something else about the city will grow on me. It would be convenient as the very little bit of (far extended) family I have left now live in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio