Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:59 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

A 3.5 magnitude earthquake hit south of San Antonio Saturday morning according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake was centered approximately 16 miles southwest of Poth, near Fashing in Atascosa County. The earthquake was 3 miles deep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 02:10 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default Me too,

I saw the unsettling news on MYSA Elnina, about the Earthquake.
Probably due to Fracking in that area. Interesting. I did not feel a thing and so have never experienced
one.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:36 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,874 times
Default A feeling of helplessness !

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I saw the unsettling news on MYSA Elnina, about the Earthquake.
Probably due to Fracking in that area. Interesting. I did not feel a thing and so have never experienced
one.
I was working at a store in the camera & jewelry department.
The glass display shelves started shaking with items falling everywhere.
This was in Los Angeles.
It lasted less than a minute.
The local people said it was a mild tremor or temblor.

I felt at the time that no matter where I went, the ground would cave in.

That was the last straw, I moved back to good old San Antonio!

Old 01-07-2018, 05:22 PM

304 posts, read 295,647 times
Oh good lord, now earthquakes? Earthquakes are the one natural disaster that I've committed myself to avoiding at all costs. This is not good. Not good at all. I have almost no extra money to move again after only arriving last month. I don't even know how I'm going to drive around without worrying the bridges will start falling or the ground will open up.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:41 PM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
Oh good lord, now earthquakes? Earthquakes are the one natural disaster that I've committed myself to avoiding at all costs. This is not good. Not good at all. I have almost no extra money to move again after only arriving last month. I don't even know how I'm going to drive around without worrying the bridges will start falling or the ground will open up.
Calm down. This one didn’t even cause any damage or get police calls according to the news report I read.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:02 PM

Default You will be fine,

99 Raisins. Buy an earthquake proof home and walk every place. If the ground begins to quake....hit the dirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post

Old 01-07-2018, 06:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Been earthquakes down in that part of the country since I was a kid and I'm 70. There's geothermal water available too. Most folks with wells in that part of Texas have cooling towers so they can drink the water without burning themselves up. Get southeast of Poth and the ground is saturated with uranium. A 3.5 ground shaker for that area is a fairly major event. Usually the quakes are less than 3.0. Most often you can be in the middle of an earthquake down there and not even know it happened. Been in several myself and not known it happened.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Calm down. This one didn’t even cause any damage or get police calls according to the news report I read.
Stop patronizing me. I am allowed to feel uncomfortable with earthquakes. If this is due to fracking, then perhaps like OK it will only increase in frequency and intensity. It's something that it's reasonable to be concerned about.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:29 PM

Default Beeville,

The further you go towards the Gulf apparently, the worse the water gets too.
Well Water in Beeville,tx was so bad as to render it undrinkable to me. Sulfur like, foul, stench. Rotten eggs malodorous, make you sick quality water. Nothing could disguise the odor.
I never saw any water, like the water from there. Unbelievably bad. I mean bad, real bad.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:35 PM

I was visiting someone who lives nearish there (on that same highway where Beville is) and there was such a sulfur smell in their house. They only served bottled water. I guess that's what it was? That's crazy! Is this also from the fracking and other drilling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio