Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 04:18 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
10 accidents a DAY?! Really? That seems extraordinarily high to me since Leon Valley is fairly small. I guess it's possible, though.
My apologies! I misunderstood what he said - 1,111 accidents on Bandera Road last year - NOT the 10 I said! So....a little over 3/day. Still pretty high for the relatively short stretch of road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 07:10 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
How may wrecks are caused by someone panic stopping to avoid a red light ticket?

Old 01-23-2018, 07:21 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
How may wrecks are caused by someone panic stopping to avoid a red light ticket?
If you are driving responsibly you would not panic stop.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Certainly not as many being T-boned by the idiots blowing the lights.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:14 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
Quote:
That is a common defense against these lights.

While the number of accidents usually does increase due to red light cameras, the type of accidents are usually rear end collisions, many very minor.

Meanwhile, they greatly reduce the amount of t-bone type of collisions, the kind that cause a lot more damage both to the vehicles involved, and more importantly the people.

Red light cameras have been shown to reduce the rates of serious injuries.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:02 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
Amazing how many people are for this. I totally get the point of wanting to see careless drivers penalized, but it's just another way for big brother to make his way into our everyday lives. It might seem simple and even a no-brainer for proponents of this, but you won't be feeling that way when a regular freedom you enjoy is possibly heavily taxed, or maybe even taken away, and yes one does have to do with the other.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarJerry View Post
Amazing how many people are for this. I totally get the point of wanting to see careless drivers penalized, but it's just another way for big brother to make his way into our everyday lives.
Believe me - I TOTALLY concur. Problem is, what else can you reasonably do? It's not practical to place an LEO at every intersection on Bandera Road 24/7 - and many of these scofflaws will simply watch for the cops - if they don't see 'em they blow the lights. I get it that some folks simply get distracted (yeah, not an excuse, but life happens) - but all too many are simply too self-consumed and don't care.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:05 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
Exactly, freedom comes with the responsibility not to abuse it. Having been in three major accidents in the past few years because of stupidity with stopped or slowed traffic and seen quite a few others with people trying to save a few seconds or not paying attention - I have no sympathy for the 'freedom' to drive recklessly.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:30 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
If you are driving responsibly you would not panic stop.
Well, that might be true since I have not had an accident in 55 years.

I was however, minutes ago, on the access road of 410 passing through the light at Nacogdoches as the light turned yellow. I opted to not slam on my brakes and stop before the intersection since the car tailgating me and the next one behind him continued through the light.

If I were in "Big Brother Land" who do I send my repair bill to- the city or to the uninsured driver that rammed me?

Old 01-24-2018, 12:01 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
Hopefully you have uninsured motorist coverage in this city with so many uninsured. I've been in three incidents with such. Two minor dents and one major with injuries and significant car damage. Don't play the big brother card in excusing the irresponsible actions of so many in San Antonio.

How to deal with it - have the tail gater and the uninsured face significant legal and financial penalties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio