Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,521,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Ok this is one of my crazy ideas. I am sure it is impossible but what if the pawn shops could somehow connect to EBAY? Amazon does it with independ retailers, why not Bay? I don't mind buying used if the price is right. I go to San Antonio pawn shops all the time. I just think they charge too much
They already do. And have been for years. Truth is, my "little" brother manages a very high-end pawn store in Scottsdale, Az and has been in the pawn biz on & off most of his life. Probably about 15 years ago he started doing that at a different store he was managing. They had some of their better things on eBay. A LOT of the stuff was sold that way. It was highly successful. Many of the bigger pawn stores' websites have links to their eBay stores and even have an employee (or more) who does nothing but handle their eBay biz.

And yeah, having heard many of my brother's pawn biz stories, *most* pawn stores are VERY ethical. They get a bad name, but they strive to practice good business principles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,793,365 times
One more thing the world does not need. Pawn shops....who needs those!?!?! I am still waiting for this side of town to get something original. Not a brand new Wendy's, pawn shop, etc. A record/book store would be nice. No, not a Barnes and Noble. A locally run operation with a coffee shop would be an awesome place. This city is slowly turning into one big strip center with the same stores everywhere.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 AM

188 posts, read 445,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
One more thing the world does not need. Pawn shops....who needs those!?!?! I am still waiting for this side of town to get something original. Not a brand new Wendy's, pawn shop, etc. A record/book store would be nice. No, not a Barnes and Noble. A locally run operation with a coffee shop would be an awesome place. This city is slowly turning into one big strip center with the same stores everywhere.
I agree, but it is increasingly difficult for independent places to survive. Even Borders Books could not make it, so imagine how a 'Mom and Pop' bookstore would struggle to compete with B&N, Amazon, etc. Same goes for coffee places. You have to really do it right (excellent quality) and be unique to do well. Places like Olmos Perk coffee and Magnolia Pancake Haus come to mind, but I don't think 1604/Potranco will see anything like that for a LONG time.
So for now, it's more franchises and people selling puppies on the corner.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:01 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,397,160 times
I don't see what's wrong with having a pawn shop nearby. They get a bad rap.

Bookstores are failing - we had a cool coffee shop on Potranco (Sips!) but their landlord was difficult so they moved, and the move killed the shop. Would love someplace besides $tarbuck$ to hang out, especially a mom and pop place. Right now our corner of SA just isn't 'trendy' enough, I think, for a M&P place to survive well.

Quote:

Old 04-05-2012, 05:34 PM

It honestly could have been any chain or business. This area just seems to lack any business with any substance. I mean look at 1604/Culebra. Nothing original about that area at all. Look around 1604/Potranco and it is the same situation. The same thing all the time in every part of time is very bland. Keeping my fingers crossed for a solid hole in the wall bar as well. Just sayin'.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:41 PM

501 posts, read 945,498 times
Quote:
Why would anyone invest money in a dying/pretty much dead business model? Book stores and record stores in the suburbs are about as profitable as a pay phone nowadays.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:50 PM

Your mindset proves my point. You probably shop at Wal-Mart as well.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Your mindset proves my point. You probably shop at Wal-Mart as well.
My mindset? You mean my business mindset? Yeah, because unlike me everyone who's ever opened a small independent business did it out of a pure passion and love with no intent to make a profit/living or survive.

If you're so confident an independent record shop or book store will work then why aren't you breaking ground?

I'm all for independently owned businesses. The more mom and pop start ups the better. But that's not going to happen with regards to record stores and books when those already small niche concepts are even smaller now. The margins in something like that is pennies.

The fact that you live in suburbia yet rile against everything that defines suburbia is comical and sad at the same time.

As for your "astute" judgement of me, no I don't shop at Walmart, but what if I did? Would that define who I was outside of someone needing to shop for something that Walmart might have?

But aside from all that, I could see a combination coffee shop/bookstore/music store working in the suburbs, if done right. But stand alone book or record store. No.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
My mindset? You mean my business mindset? Yeah, because unlike me everyone who's ever opened a small independent business did it out of a pure passion and love with no intent to make a profit/living or survive.

If you're so confident an independent record shop or book store will work then why aren't you breaking ground?

I'm all for independently owned businesses. The more mom and pop start ups the better. But that's not going to happen with regards to record stores and books when those already small niche concepts are even smaller now. The margins in something like that is pennies.

The fact that you live in suburbia yet rile against everything that defines suburbia is comical and sad at the same time.

As for your "astute" judgement of me, no I don't shop at Walmart, but what if I did? Would that define who I was outside of someone needing to shop for something that Walmart might have?

But aside from all that, I could see a combination coffee shop/bookstore/music store working in the suburbs, if done right. But stand alone book or record store. No.
Do you live in this area? I am not breaking ground in this area because I am busy teaching the children in my community. Who knows, maybe I am your child's teacher??? Secondly, if you do shop at Wal Mart that tells me everything I need to know about you. And what makes you think I live in the suburbs?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Do you live in this area? I am not breaking ground in this area because I am busy teaching the children in my community. Who knows, maybe I am your child's teacher??? Secondly, if you do shop at Wal Mart that tells me everything I need to know about you. And what makes you think I live in the suburbs?
It says NW San Antonio as your location and your in a Potranco/1604 thread talking about wanting this or that in that area. Do you not live in the suburbia?

I guess you missed the part where I said I don't shop at Walmart. Have I ever gone in and bought something from them? Yes. So what? Who hasn't? It's a store, are you that much of an elitist?

Btw, I have no children so no you're not and I don't live in the 1604/Potranco area which is why I hardly if ever post in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio