Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:12 AM

343 posts, read 306,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
I am and thank you for your post.

It is a shame because not to long ago, this type of small new home in San Antonio one could get at under $150. I suppose it is one of the prices San Antonio, Austin and Texas in general is paying for being a top spot in the nation people are flocking too. Home prices have skyrocketed and are even going for more then the asking price/valued at price. These homeprices are nothing if people are moving from a very expensive part of the country. I supposes that is why home prices continue to break the glass ceiling here in SA. Not a good time to be a local firstime homebuyer like me.

Regardless, while I prefer a new home (I dont want to funnel money into repairs and being first time owner means I know no one abused it), I suppose a completly redone home isnt off the list.

I would prefer to stay inside loop 1604 and on either the northeast or northwest side. Basically, if you take 1604 as a giant pie and you cut it into 4 equal parts (half east west, half north south), I would prefer to live in the top two parts of the pie.

If you live in, are selling or know somewhere that meets this criteria and is in a nice neighborhood, please PM me. Im a first time hombuyer and looking to get out of this older apartment once lease is up.
I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but I saw signs out close to marbach and 1604 that said they were building new homes starting at the 140s price range in that area so that might be an option even though I know it's not really northwest side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 11:18 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but I saw signs out close to marbach and 1604 that said they were building new homes starting at the 140s price range in that area so that might be an option even though I know it's not really northwest side.
That may be an option. Any idea the name of the homebuilders for that price range so I can surf on over to their website? I personally did a search on Zillow and stuff and cant find new small homes (nothing fancy) in this price range.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:54 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
https://www.lgihomes.com/community.cfm?id=luckeyranch

Old 02-20-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Just went on their site and directly called them. The lowest home is about $165,000. No where near $140,000 unfortunately. Just a few years ago and one could get a small similar sized home for around $100 - $120,000. Housing prices have gotten out of control.

The builder you linked (LGI) smartly put estimated monthly payment price to avoid full price sticker shock on their website. Thank you for the link though.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:14 PM

Got a text from someone from LGI homes after calling them today. I knew I saw that small LGI "maple" model for around $80k - $85k just about 10 years ago (around 2008). Basically, in 10 short years, the housing market here in San Antonio has become very expensive and doubled (or very close too it).

Old 02-20-2018, 04:03 PM

343 posts, read 306,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
That may be an option. Any idea the name of the homebuilders for that price range so I can surf on over to their website? I personally did a search on Zillow and stuff and cant find new small homes (nothing fancy) in this price range.
No I can't say I accurately remember what the builders name was, but if you get a chance if you drive out that way on marbach you will definitely see the signs that say new homes starting at 140k.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:47 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
I was very impressed until I saw the exterior pictures.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:00 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I've been in the industry for over 50 years now, I'll be the first to tell you that you have to be some kind of crazy to buy into the housing market in San Antonio today. Prices are far too high for the wages paid in the area. It's going to take the proverbial dump in the next 24 months. You can always see the expected future of the housing industry locally due to lot developments. And lot developments are way down on the projection tables. It's just a matter of time guys.
FWIW, I'd strongly suggest renting versus buying right now.
Actually I find the homes in SA to be a good value, and only a little less so relative to wages. I thought SA was the lowest cost of living big city in Texas. As far as the market tanking I have to ask if it didn't tank too bad in 2008-2011 why would you think it would be due for such a drastic correction?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Actually I find the homes in SA to be a good value, and only a little less so relative to wages. I thought SA was the lowest cost of living big city in Texas. As far as the market tanking I have to ask if it didn't tank too bad in 2008-2011 why would you think it would be due for such a drastic correction?
Didn't tank too bad??
Those years were the worst market for sellers in 50 years!
We were forced to sell my mother's house for less than a third of what we could get for it now.

San Antonio wages are way behind the cost of living/housing.
What planet do you live on?

Old 02-22-2018, 12:41 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
https://www.forbes.com/pictures/eijd.../#3b49b7031506

FYI San Antonio wages are 9% below the national average and the COL is 14% below.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/southwes...sanantonio.htm

https://www.payscale.com/cost-of-liv...as-San-Antonio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio