Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 11:52 AM

343 posts, read 306,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
Firstly, most Hispanics are white, sooo... As for being treated weirdly, being an outsider in a few of the really old, poor neighborhoods in the inner city will get you stared at, regardless of what you look like. Otherwise, I have only had a few jokes lobbed at me at work or hanging out, but the Hispanics in San Antonio are the kind of people you can joke with. I just joked back. Hell, buy them tacos while joking about it. People are largely very difficult to offend in San Antonio, and the guys I met ribbed each other harshly, so that is just the fun culture for the most part. I never actually experienced malice from Hispanics, and they totally dominate the metro population. Hell, I miss it and wanna move back.

That being said, my wife, who is dark-skinned and Honduran, did hear a few idiotic comments in her workplace, about her supposedly marrying a "rich white" guy for my money. I'm not rich, and grew up poor, but am a somewhat successful software developer, and we had a nice house at the time. Besides a couple idiotic comments like that to her by some cholas at her office, We largely felt like we fit right into everything in San Antonio. No worries! People are mega friendly in SA!
The vast majority of Hispanics in SA and in general are mixed- race, that's only if you actually believe in the concept of race at all of course.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:59 AM

343 posts, read 306,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zona2018 View Post
Short answer: Yes

The Latin Community will always be the dominant force in San Antonio. The Angelo's will always be treated a as second class citizens when it comes to job preference, college admissions, politics, etc, etc.

There's a reason why virtually the entire white community has segregated themselves in the far NW quadrant (between Stone Oak and La Cantera) 15-20 miles from city center or in any of the upscale enclaves (Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, etc)

Yes I lived there and attended grad school there. I witness this first hand.
Not trying to discredit you personal experience at all, but I do think it would do you well to study more of San Antonio and South Texas history to understand why certain dynamics exist.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:22 PM

28 posts, read 48,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Not trying to discredit you personal experience at all, but I do think it would do you well to study more of San Antonio and South Texas history to understand why certain dynamics exist.
Well I did take a Public Policy of San Antonio in grad school which was basically a history class. I'm not sure how much more in depth I could've learned about the subject.

I don't doubt what you're trying to say is true but that wasn't the question. The question was "is their racial discrimination against whites." The answer is yes. Part of the reason why I left. I never felt at "home" in my two years there. Always felt like an outsider.

Never got that feeling living in Austin or Dallas.

Last edited by Zona2018; 03-05-2018 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-05-2018, 12:33 PM

392 posts, read 749,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
The vast majority of Hispanics in SA and in general are mixed- race, that's only if you actually believe in the concept of race at all of course.
Sure, and thus I'd separate race and ethnicity here. Most Hispanics are "at least" partially white, and are not void of European ancestry. Race is indeed a thing, but not nearly as important as people make it, so much as culture and ideas are important. The folks in San Antonio, Hispanic or not, are all largely very friendly people though, in my experience. I felt more at home there than I do in Iowa, where pretty much EVERYONE is white-Anglo, just because I have a little more culturally in common with Texas than I do with the Upper Midwest.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:36 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
The only thing I ever recall being said which ever happened which I would call racist would be an experience related by my sister in law. She claims she was in a restaurant where she was the only Anglo and couldn’t get served. Knowing her though she would’ve been very dolled up like a flashy Martha STEWART.
We actually experienced this very thing about 2 months ago and we weren’t dressed flashy. I’ve been here 28 years and have experienced racism from Hispanics before, I’m white. Not often but it has happened. Honestly, I appreciated the experiences because it made me more aware of what racism feels like when you are on the receiving end of it. I think it has made me a better person because I’m more empathetic to the struggles of others who experience racism on a more frequent bases.

From MY experience, I find there is more stereotyping than racism here. Far too many Hispanics have the idea that if you are white, you automatically have money. Of course not all Hispanics believe this but there seems to be a good amount that does. I have Hispanic friends that joke about it all the time. Regardless, I LOVE San Antonio and wouldn’t live anywhere else. It’s a great city with lots to do and I love the people and culture

Last edited by CLR210; 03-05-2018 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Added clarification

Old 03-05-2018, 01:16 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
If you want to experience some extreme feeling of being an outsider, eat lunch sometime at la michoacana on the south side. At least they do serve you if you have some knowledge of Spanish.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:55 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,078,192 times
We spent eight years in SA and definitely experienced being made uncomfortable. Several times in stores I was snubbed and more than once was asked, “Why don’t you know Spanish?” There is no salary that would bring me back there.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:14 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
I'm San Antonio born and raised, and I'm non-Hispanic white, so I've witnessed the swelling of the Hispanic population here locally, vs. what is was decades ago. That's brought with it a dominant Hispanic culture to the city, although I can't say I've been discriminated against or felt uncomfortable being a "local minority". The lack of Spanish-language fluency hasn't posed a problem, either.

I've also seen increasing numbers of some other national origins locally, like Middle Eastern and Asian, for example, but not to as great of an extent. You also have to bear in mind San Antonio is billed as "Military City, USA", so there are enlisted people from all over the country based here, as well as many military retirees who have settled here.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:44 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
I'm a non-Hispanic white and have been here 12 years. I've been all over town, including the west side, and never experienced a shred of discrimination/racism. I don't know Spanish, either. In restaurants, stores, or the workplace, I just haven't experienced it.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 PM

1,038 posts, read 876,275 times
I think the more interesting question deals with San Antonio Hispanics inner-discriminating within their own.

That I've seen. The dynamics are fascinating.

And then there's adding in the odd relationship between Mexicans and Texas Hispanics. Bringing up 'Nationals' in this city brings to the surface a whole slew of emotional responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio