Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:45 PM

94 posts, read 428,431 times

Advertisements

hello, im currently living in new jersey. I am looking to relocate to the San Antonio area within the next year or so. i will be visiting next month and i am trying to figure out what areas to look in before i get there, so that i can visit and see them in person while im there.

from threads that i have read regarding bulverde, i am under the impression that:
1. this is an up and coming area not to far from san antonio.
2.Many developments from commercial to residential are planned to be built on or before 2010.
3.highways are being expanded to make the commute to san antonio an easier and more pleasurable one.
4. commuter rail service is planned to be built to take you from san antonio to austin.
5. the crime is low
6. the schools are great
7. almost all the homes built in this area are built on avg of 1 acre+ size lots.

is any or all , possibly most of this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 08:49 PM

also:
1. movie theatre's? any in bulverde or how far is the nearest one?
2. restaurants? fast food? sit down dinner? many in the bulverde area? if no how far?
3. shopping? food markets?
4. gas stations?
5. hospitals?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:08 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,424,653 times
You've got some of it right.

Bulverde is definitely growing, though it's been slowed a little because of the traffic problems on Hwy 281. However, wheels are being put in motion that will ease all that. It'll get worse before it gets better, but it'll be better in the long run. Not sure how far out, but I'd guess 5 years. There's definitely expansion out that way, both residential and commercial.

The light rail issue comes up every year or so. In theory, it works, but there are no plans for one that I know of. It gets tossed around all the time, but nothing ever gets moving towards that.

I've heard the schools are good, but most San Antonio schools perform pretty well. Have no personal experience with the Bulverde schools though. I do have clients that love them. Crime doesn't tend to be a rampant problem out there.

The lot sizes differ. Bulverde has all different types of neighborhoods. There are a lot of areas that have homesites with some land to them though. Because of the traffic, you can get some pretty good buys out there right now.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,879 times
The population figures for Bulverde can be a bit misleading. According to latest estimates, city pop is about 5k, but much of the surrounding area is unincorporated, so the actual area population is probably closer to 20k (25 if you include Timberwood Park). Though I don't know for sure about the schools, I know there's plenty of amenities within a 5 mile radius, and more being built every week it seems. As has been mention, traffic can be a headache, but that will hopefully be fixed in a few years by what I'm sure is every New Jersian's best friend, the toll road

Light rail is different from what is being discussed for the SA-Austin corridor, which would be considered "heavy" rail. However, I would be surprised if either gets rolling sooner than the next 5-7 years.

Basically, if you like views of the hills and a semi-rural atmosphere, you'll probably enjoy Bulverde. You might also check out Spring Branch, Bergheim, Smithson Valley, Boerne, and Fair Oaks Ranch, which are all 10-20 min from Bulverde but have similar attributes.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 AM

81 posts, read 230,502 times
my wife and I chose bulverde because of the great hill country scenery, large lot sizes/plenty of space and the proximity to conveniences in san antonio. the traffic on 281 can be quite annoying at times, but that situation should be resolved with the construction of toll lanes in the next few years (MySA.com: Metro | State (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/_MYSA120507.2B.TOLLS_.6b25d27e.html - broken link)).

kevcrawford is right: development has slowed some, but certainly hasn't stopped. i'm guessing it will return to a feverish pace when 281 is finished.

i wouldn't count on light rail anytime in the next 20 years.

all data seems to indicate that the schools are great: Texas School Performance Maps. perhaps not as consistently perfect as the schools in stone oak/encino park, but very good nonetheless. johnson ranch elementary is currently under construction on fm 1863, about a mile east of 281:
Hill Country Times News, Bulverde, Spring Branch, Canyon Lake
http://www.comalisd.org/Growth/Drawings/JohnsonRanchElemAreaDraw.gif (broken link)

it is true that most homes are built on lots larger than an acre. however, this won't be the case forever. currently the city and county are fighting over the ability to restrict lot size and subdivision density:

Here are some articles and photos of the Johnson Ranch and 4S Ranch developments:
http://hillcountrytimes.com/clients/...sonRanch1A.jpg

the closest movie theatre will soon be at marshall road and 281 (about six miles/5-15 minutes from downtown bulverde). currently the nearest theatre is northwoods at 281 and 1604 (about ten miles/10-25 minutes).

fast food options (starbucks, sonic, subway, wendy's, little ceasars, pizza hut, etc.) are available at 281 and 46. there are many other non-chain restaurants available. i've been meaning to check out Vintage Wine & Coffee Bar Home Page (http://www.villageofbulverde.com/Vintage/ - broken link) and Cowcatchers (MySA.com: Dining | Reviews (broken link)), but i haven't been able to yet.

heb is located at 281 and 46. there's also an heb and 281 and evans. super target, world market, a gelato shop, starbucks, american eagle, hollister, aeropostale, j.jill, ann taylor, victoria's secret, etc. are all available at stone oak and 281 in Village At Stone Oak--about seven miles/10-20 minutes from downtown bulverde.

nearest hospitals would be in stone oak or new braunfels.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 AM

46 posts, read 163,713 times
Yep bulverde is almost an extension of Stone Oak....you can not go wrong in moviing there. Highway 46 will be the new 1604 in about 10 years..

The 281 expansion\toll road is about to begin construction in about a year...so traffic is going to be really bad in the area...but once it is all done...Bulverde will be an awesome place to live...

Old 03-25-2008, 08:53 AM

81 posts, read 230,502 times
bulverde village (not to be confused with the bulverde village in san antonio) is another development planned for 281, just north of 46:

rumor has it that a super target is planned, but as far as i know, that's just a rumor at this point.

http://hillcountrytimes.com/clients/...ubdivision.jpg

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-25-2008 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: copyrighted material - included link instead

Old 03-25-2008, 04:20 PM

418 posts, read 1,239,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiphanes View Post
Yep bulverde is almost an extension of Stone Oak.
Being a little technical here, but the selling point of Bulverde is that it will be much less densely populated than Stone Oak right?

Old 03-25-2008, 08:48 PM

thank you to all for the informative responses.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:41 PM

regarding traffic, are there specific times that the traffic is bad commuting from bulverde to san antonio and is the traffic heavy going both ways , meaning to bulverde from san antonio and from san antonio to bulverde?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio