Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 11:44 PM

7 posts, read 8,956 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job offer to come to beautiful San Antonio. I have two small kids(2 and 4). We want horse property and have only seen the north side of the city and East(Bulverde, Seguin, La Vernia, Floresville). We really want to have some good land for our horses and for us to enjoy the outdoors, but the prices are higher than we expected for certain areas. We have been looking south of Texas A&M pretty much directly south of the city center as we’ve found a few decent pieces of land. The schools are rated poorly via the Greatachoola website, but we know those are off of standardized test scores. More or less we are looking for advice as realtors aren’t allowed to help, since they can’t steer us away or to any areas. We noticed the city is growing rapidly and homes are on the market for just days. Any help as where is best for afforadabilty, proximity to Brooke Army and University Hospital and good schools are would be awesome!

Thank you kindly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 09:18 PM

8 posts, read 9,588 times
The Adkins/St. Hedwig Area sounds like a good fit for you, they are getting a brand new elementary school next year! I also would recommend La Vernia. Both areas have really good schools!

Old 04-02-2018, 04:14 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
The OP said they've seen LaVernia already. Guess they didn't like something about it.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:57 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
BAMC (or SAMC as it is called now) and University Hospital are a ways away from the areas you are mentioning. Have you checked google maps yet? I agree those areas are good for land, but you’ll need to weigh whether being close to those things is more important than your land. Where is work? What is your budget? What are you comfortable with in regards to commute?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:41 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Sounds like OP already has horses so land is a must.

South side has a lot of horse property for a better price than what you will see for the same in the North side. OP is going to have to decide what is more important or have an unlimited budget on the North side to have both the land and good schools.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:54 AM

8 posts, read 9,588 times
The OP also said that good schools were important, something that the South side can't offer...

Old 04-10-2018, 08:39 AM

7 posts, read 8,956 times
Thank you everyone. La Vernia and Adkins were two of my favorite areas. I’m trying to stay under 350k and would prefer the 250-300k mark. I heard being in Seguin would be just fine travel wise for me to service SAMC, but will also be at other hospitals in the area too, SAMC and University Med Center are the main ones though. I’ve given the west side some thought too, Mico and then up towards Canyon Lake, but again have no clue about those areas and what they provide for schools and low crime.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:57 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufgunmagic View Post
Thank you everyone. La Vernia and Adkins were two of my favorite areas. I’m trying to stay under 350k and would prefer the 250-300k mark. I heard being in Seguin would be just fine travel wise for me to service SAMC, but will also be at other hospitals in the area too, SAMC and University Med Center are the main ones though. I’ve given the west side some thought too, Mico and then up towards Canyon Lake, but again have no clue about those areas and what they provide for schools and low crime.
Of all the areas and “good schools” canyon lake would probably be the best, zoned for new braunfels ISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio