Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times

Advertisements

I dont mind telling anyone it's been a loooooooong 9 1/2 months!

Ingram Road Bridge Opens - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio

SAN ANTONIO -- Ten months after construction began on the Ingram Road bridge west of Ingram Park Mall, two of the four lanes opened up Monday at noon.
Nitzia Montanez, like hundreds of other commuters, had lived with the headache for almost a year.
"We'd have to go all the way around 410, you know how bad 410 is," said Montanez, who lives in the area, but works in Westover Hills. "Then trying to get on Ingram and 410, bypass Culebra just to get over to 151. It was horrible."
Closed since January, crews transformed the old flood prone stretch to a new four-lane bridge as part of Bexar county's 10-year, $500 million flood control program. The bridge sits 33 feet above the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Good news, but since I don't use that road too often the inconvenience wasn't noticeable.

I just hope the one lady interviewed was either A) dressed up for Halloween or B) on her way to work at Long John Silver's!

By the way, is the section of the Leon Creek Greenway that goes under the new bridge open yet? The map shows the section south of the VIA Transit Center "opening soon," but the section north of Ingram Road is open according to this.

Cheers! M2

Old 11-01-2011, 05:06 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
That's awesome. I just wish they would hurry up with completion of Culebra from Old Grissom to 410. Over two years now. Guess they don't have much incentive to finish.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Good news, but since I don't use that road too often the inconvenience wasn't noticeable.

I just hope the one lady interviewed was either A) dressed up for Halloween or B) on her way to work at Long John Silver's!

By the way, is the section of the Leon Creek Greenway that goes under the new bridge open yet? The map shows the section south of the VIA Transit Center "opening soon," but the section north of Ingram Road is open according to this.

Cheers! M2
I have to plead ignorance because I dont know what a "greenway" is. We just drove across it and it seems pretty raw still. 2 lanes of the bridge are open but that is about it.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
That's awesome. I just wish they would hurry up with completion of Culebra from Old Grissom to 410. Over two years now. Guess they don't have much incentive to finish.

It's getting there. For some reason they decided they needed to re-do Culebra from I10 to 1604 all at once.

Btw is it me or is the median too far down if you are travelling east on Culebra and wanting to turn into CVS?

Old 11-01-2011, 05:45 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I have to plead ignorance because I dont know what a "greenway" is. We just drove across it and it seems pretty raw still. 2 lanes of the bridge are open but that is about it.
The Leon Creek Greenway is an excellent initiative by San Antonio to build a multi-use recreational trail from near UTSA (10 & 1604) all the way down to just south of 410 and Culebra (eventually).

Before the closure of Ingram Road, there was a bridge installed just behind the VIA station to cross over the area known as Devil's Den. I'm not sure if that section of the trail is open to the public, I was hoping it will do so in conjunction with the new bridge that has been built along that road.

Lots of great info on the Greenway here, it's something the people of San Antonio can be very proud of!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-01-2011, 06:23 PM

147 posts, read 309,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Since you brought up Old Grissom, does anyone know if this road will ever be fixed? It also floods and the road is seriously in need of repair.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:53 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default Old Grissom,

I have heard nothing about repairs on that old road.
Funny, you should mention that area, now that I think about it-it remains appearance wise, exactly the same now as it did forty years ago. Everything else all around that old road has dramatically changed,been paved,repaved,widened - that whole area just burst at the seams in growth it appears, except for old Grissom Rd. Maybe it is located in a flood plain.
It is in very bad shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenty13 View Post
Since you brought up Old Grissom, does anyone know if this road will ever be fixed? It also floods and the road is seriously in need of repair.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,193,994 times
Stay away from Ingram during rush hours...in their infinite wisdom they removed the left turn lane at Potranco & Ingram so traffic headed towards Culebra now only has one lane. Duh!

Old 11-02-2011, 06:12 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
It figures! One week before I move, they open it. I have lived here since 1987, and I could swear Culebra has been under construction ever since. It started out as a two-banger and immediately it was too small to handle all the traffic. Then it went to 4, and eventually 6 in some parts. I'll have to come back in a year just to drive it when it is completely finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio