Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:15 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times

Advertisements

FWIW, The Galleria in Houston and The Woodlands Mall are both known to have a pretty sizable contingent of Mexican shoppers. The Woodlands has been a preferred relocation / 2nd home location for wealthy Mexicans. Of course, for those driving or busing up from Mexico, it's at least 2.5 hours further than San Antonio. But for those flying, United, Southwest and the Mexican airlines have tons of flights from a wide range of cities (especially United).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 04:14 PM

215 posts, read 211,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
True, North Star Mall was built when the enclosed mall concept was relatively new in the U.S. It was the first enclosed mall in San Antonio, when there were only a few enclosed shopping malls in the entire country.

I think it was the expansion of North Star over the years, coupled with the evolution of the tenant mix, that helped attract Mexican national shoppers. Original tenants, like Western Auto, S.S. Kresge, HEB, and Walgreens eventually disappeared, and were succeeded by more upscale shops, offering higher-end merchandise.
Hold the phone!If what I'm reading is correct,there used to be an HEB where North Star Mall is at now?Why am I barely learning this?

Old 04-18-2018, 08:50 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
Hold the phone!If what I'm reading is correct,there used to be an HEB where North Star Mall is at now?Why am I barely learning this?
Huh? That's 60 years ago. What does it matter? There are probably sites of former HEBs all over San Antonio. The early stores were tiny.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:02 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
The HEB was at the far west end of the mall, where Macy's is now.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:52 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
There used to be a sporting goods store that had a basement (wonder if that was filled in) where you could go buy a gun.

On the other hand, in the 50's Macy's used to sell surplus military rifles in their sporting goods sections. Had barrels of them.

Malls now are just mainly clothing stores for women with smaller men's sections. Add some jewelry and electronics and chain restaurants.

La Cantera is full of folks from Mexico shopping. Not the usual working class Hispanics of San Antonio. Lots of bling hanging around the necks and arms. That's ok if we get their money.

My relatives in NY, near Niagara Falls say they are flooded with Canadians. Same theory, better prices here. Let's get their money too.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:48 AM

950 posts, read 1,259,768 times
Well don't let that fool you about the nationals going to North star Mall. I work at TJMAXX in the Forum. We get them all the time period, but especially around the major holidays. We had one lady from mexico who would come and buy a lot of jewelry and other items. She would then take them back home to Mexico and sell them in some store she owned. That's no lie either. Don't know if she stil does it or not.Another place they like is the Outlet Malls in San Marcos.
Even if very wealthy, they still like a bargain.
Speaking of which, my sister in law stocks up on can goods at the 99 Cent Only store on Thousand Oaks. She buys other stuff there too. Anyhow, she has told me she has seen cars like Mercedes,etc., high priced cars where these women are in there shopping .Guess that's how they can afford the fancy cars.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 PM

215 posts, read 211,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
Well don't let that fool you about the nationals going to North star Mall. I work at TJMAXX in the Forum. We get them all the time period, but especially around the major holidays. We had one lady from mexico who would come and buy a lot of jewelry and other items. She would then take them back home to Mexico and sell them in some store she owned. That's no lie either. Don't know if she stil does it or not.Another place they like is the Outlet Malls in San Marcos.
Even if very wealthy, they still like a bargain.
Speaking of which, my sister in law stocks up on can goods at the 99 Cent Only store on Thousand Oaks. She buys other stuff there too. Anyhow, she has told me she has seen cars like Mercedes,etc., high priced cars where these women are in there shopping .Guess that's how they can afford the fancy cars.
You know you ain't lyin'.When I was younger I used to work at KB Toys(remember those) at North Star Mall back in ought 3 to early ought 4 and the Mexican nationals who were very expensively dressed and wore lots of jewelry were notoriously....."thrifty"

Old 04-21-2018, 10:14 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,686 times
I can tell you for a fact that the stores at La Canterra cater to this behavior, even eliminating whole sections that you would find in a "normal" Dillards. Because they feel they have to cater to the Mexican locos who come up for the weekend. My wife won't even go to La Canterra just for this reason. Because this America and the shops should not cater to the Mexicans just up for the weekend.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:14 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Because this America and the shops should not cater to the Mexicans just up for the weekend.
Capitalists cater to the customer who spends the most money, that's America. I am curious though how the Dillards is any different from other Dillards as I've never been? I understand how grocery stores would cater to a local population with certain foods but what does this Dillards do different from other Dillards with regard to fashion? People come to shop in the US because they like American styles and fashion so I don't see why Dillards would change their store model.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:18 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
I don't see any difference in the Dillard stores.

I see more differences in the HEB stores based on local populations. In fact, when I wanted some cheaper everyday stuff, I could find it in the HEB near work in a more Hispanic area. The northside stores carry fancier junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio