Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:02 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Well, I guess that answers my question regarding me. What about the kids though? Do they just hang around inside and mainly play video games?! We have a 13 y.o. boy. We will have a pool at the new house, but I think going out in the scorching sun during the day even with skincare lotion doesn't sound good. I'm really not going to miss this cold weather. This past winter here was terrible. I didn't think it would ever stop snowing and the brutal cold snaps lasted forever. I was ready to snap. Thank you folks for responding.
Kids. Inside.Video games. Pool will be like bath water in the afternoon/evening, but some like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 08:07 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,767 times
Dream of moving away.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:32 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Do whatever your body can handle..it's not that bad once you get used to it.
As kids, we were always outside doing something...no video games or cell phones back then. What do kids do up north when it's unbearably cold outside?
I'd rather deal with sweating in the heat than freezing your hiney off anyday.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:05 AM

707 posts, read 1,845,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Well, I guess that answers my question regarding me. What about the kids though? Do they just hang around inside and mainly play video games?! We have a 13 y.o. boy. We will have a pool at the new house, but I think going out in the scorching sun during the day even with skincare lotion doesn't sound good. I'm really not going to miss this cold weather. This past winter here was terrible. I didn't think it would ever stop snowing and the brutal cold snaps lasted forever. I was ready to snap. Thank you folks for responding.

Hopefully you can find a neighborhood pool. That said, I grew up in central Texas and we didn’t have a neighborhood pool. There were pools, but they were city pools. I left the house in the morning and came back at night. We played outside way more than kids do these days!!
We are also moving back to TX after 6 years of snowy winters. I’m dreading the heat but I will not miss the snow!!!!!

Last edited by miche111e; 05-07-2018 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-07-2018, 11:17 AM

814 posts, read 676,093 times
Plenty of people work outdoors all summer long. Young sturdy ones mostly.

I had a project in San Antonio 25 years ago that required outdoor metal work in a no-shade area.

That metal got just too hot to touch so we worked sun up until Noon.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:25 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,081 times
I usually do the chores in the early mornings.
During the day when I'm not at work in the heat of the day, I stay indoors
with the thermostat set at a comfortable number but not too cold.

The hottest time is when I have to play tournaments in the afternoons with the
temperatures in the 100s or above on the tennis courts.

I wear white, drink plenty of water and able to tolerate the heat because of
my dark complexion.

I have friends that live up North. I am amazed how they are capable of living with snow.
I would go nuts if I had to stay indoors all winter.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 05-07-2018 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 06:14 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Find a place that is between 4' snow and scorching sun...
Oh sure! Where would that be?!

Old 05-07-2018, 06:30 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,700 times
Plenty of places...those are huge parameters. The thing I hate most here are the long summers. The ones where we don't get any real cooling until almost Halloween. Leaves you begging for cooler weather.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:53 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,845 times
Zoo in the morning and museums in the afternoon. We also retreat to the Oregon coast for part of the summer.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:54 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
Hopefully you can find a neighborhood pool. That said, I grew up in central Texas and we didn’t have a neighborhood pool. There were pools, but they were city pools. I left the house in the morning and came back at night. We played outside way more than kids do these days!!
We are also moving back to TX after 6 years of snowy winters. I’m dreading the heat but I will not miss the snow!!!!!
I would rather have the heat than the snow too. We played outside more too as kids, different times now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio