U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 PM

337 posts, read 1,368,776 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what I can do with my old cell phones? Is there a place in San Antonio that recycles them? Don't know what to do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 07:57 PM

380 posts, read 1,224,190 times
Break it, all the information that was in your phone can still be taken and seen by others. If not the phone, then at least the SIM card.

Schneier on Security: Recovering Data from Cell Phones

Old 03-27-2008, 07:57 PM

14,637 posts, read 33,340,448 times
I think my son's school takes them--check with your school district.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 PM

I had to transfer my SIM card to my new phone. My old one(s) are empty.

Didn't know about the school district thing.....may check it out.

I just wondered if maybe someone like Office Depot or Staples had a recycle program for them.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:01 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,706,006 times
There's a couple of kids back east that founded Cell Phones for Soldiers. I just sent off 4 of our old ones (after dumping the data best I could).
Welcome to Cell Phones for Soldiers!

even if you chose a different route - this is a great story about some really great kids doing great things!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
There's a couple of kids back east that founded Cell Phones for Soldiers. I just sent off 4 of our old ones (after dumping the data best I could).
Welcome to Cell Phones for Soldiers!

even if you chose a different route - this is a great story about some really great kids doing great things!

Wow...this seems like a great program! I went to the website and found a few places here in San A that are donation sponsors. I'm taking 3 of my old ones out to Alamo Heights H.S. Library today. The student council there is just getting this up and running at their school. Great project for the kids AND the soldiers! Thanks for the tip! (Sending you some positive rep for this one!)

Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 PM

140 posts, read 484,230 times
you could donate them to a local domestic violence shelter.
Sprint has paid postage bags that come in the new phone boxes now, kinda a pretty good idea I think they send them to some kind of shelters, you could ask you current provier what they suggest sometimes they amy have a deal with an organization that could help someone somewhere.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:18 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,574,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Anyone know what I can do with my old cell phones? Is there a place in San Antonio that recycles them? Don't know what to do.
your provider will probably recycle it for you.
You just have to make sure that all of your account info is removed; I forget what they call it.
They are donated to victims of domestic violence and will ring only to '911'...

In San Antonio, the FACT program and the SAPD collect used, 'stripped' (for lack of a better word - I'm wanting to say it's called 're-mastered' but that doesnt sound quite right either.) cell phones and distribute them.

Just call any SAPD substation and they will tell you for sure if they are participating; I am almost 100% certain that all of the substations are actively participating. The FACT team (Family Assistance Crisis Team - part of SAPD) distributes them.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:47 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,129,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
your provider will probably recycle it for you.
You just have to make sure that all of your account info is removed; I forget what they call it.
They are donated to victims of domestic violence and will ring only to '911'...

In San Antonio, the FACT program and the SAPD collect used, 'stripped' (for lack of a better word - I'm wanting to say it's called 're-mastered' but that doesnt sound quite right either.) cell phones and distribute them.

Just call any SAPD substation and they will tell you for sure if they are participating; I am almost 100% certain that all of the substations are actively participating. The FACT team (Family Assistance Crisis Team - part of SAPD) distributes them.
"Wiping" or "Reset" - we used to do this while I was active AF...the procedures for each phone vary, but sometimes manufacturers make the procedure the same for similar models (depends on the guts and software of the phone). Google your phone model and "wipe" or "erase"...

For example, here's how to reset mine...
(http://blogs.lanlogic.net/blogs/amy/archive/2006/06/07/Motorola-Q-_2D00_-Hard-Reset.aspx - broken link)

Old 03-29-2008, 08:49 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,649,829 times
There's also "Recycling for Charities" at: Cell Phone Recycling, iPod Recycling, Donate Digital Camera, Wireless Recycling - sell cell phone

You can choose your own charities and they get a few bucks for each cell phone that is recycled. I just mailed off about 5 old phones to have the $$ donated to Animal Care Services of San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>