Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:18 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
Don't say that, you'll only make our town feel smaller. Maybe we'll get the Raiders here next year before their Vegas stadium is completed, but that's it. Anyways, the AAF can work, trust me.
How and why would the Raiders come to SA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 04:11 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
Quote:
Don't say that, you'll only make our town feel smaller. Maybe we'll get the Raiders here next year before their Vegas stadium is completed, but that's it. Anyways, the AAF can work, trust me.

Why should be trust you? All else has failed. This will too.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:04 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
How and why would the Raiders come to SA?
The City of Oakland has chosen not to renew the Raiders lease on the old stadium out there for the 2019 season. The franchise must now select and pursue another stadium option for next season because the stadium in Las Vegas will not be ready for the team until 2020. One of the venues mentioned as a temporary home for the Raiders is indeed the Alamodome. Whether this one season deal goes through or not matters little to me.

What I really want is for an expansion or relocated franchise to move to SA permanently sometime soon. If spun another way, the temporary housing of the Raiders and the subsequent sellouts that would occur at the Alamodome may smooth the process of bringing an NFL team to San Antonio down the road.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:49 AM

...just like it did when the Saints were here. Lol. NFL is not coming here anytime soon!

Old 11-29-2018, 08:43 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
Hope we aren't giving them any subsidies. Teams are money grubbers out of taxpayers.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:14 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Hope we aren't giving them any subsidies. Teams are money grubbers out of taxpayers.
Exactly...If the locals want a NFL team here, then let it happen as long the team owner pays for it himself. No need to tax everyone.

Not everyone cares about football.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:48 PM

523 posts, read 494,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Exactly...If the locals want a NFL team here, then let it happen as long the team owner pays for it himself. No need to tax everyone.

Not everyone cares about football.
I do, especially major Springtime football, all of SA will care

Old 11-29-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:

C'mon guy. Can't you see how ridiculous that statement is? We get it, You're a homer that likes any football team that SA calls home....Most won't care, like it or not.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:54 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
The City of Oakland has chosen not to renew the Raiders lease on the old stadium out there for the 2019 season. The franchise must now select and pursue another stadium option for next season because the stadium in Las Vegas will not be ready for the team until 2020. One of the venues mentioned as a temporary home for the Raiders is indeed the Alamodome. Whether this one season deal goes through or not matters little to me.

What I really want is for an expansion or relocated franchise to move to SA permanently sometime soon. If spun another way, the temporary housing of the Raiders and the subsequent sellouts that would occur at the Alamodome may smooth the process of bringing an NFL team to San Antonio down the road.
San Antonians will not sell out the Alamodome for a team that is just "borrowing" the space. We need something of our own to show any interest. It happened with the Saints. We are "weird" when it comes to the NFL being here.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:18 AM

520 posts, read 782,035 times
Quote:
No. Simply put there is homegrown Div I college ball here and they can't even get 50% (30K) capacity. I went to the Baylor game and it felt empty, that's against a tier 1 program and a huge local alumni base. It should have been at least 50%.

Why? Because it's Texas where tradition rules and UT and A&M are the flagships. The same applies to pro ball, the Cowboys are Texas' team, it's generational and Dallas isn't that far away (by Texas driving distance standards). The Texans are over 15 years old as a franchise and have barely made a dent in the local fanbase. I just don't see many local Cowboys fans jumping ship from the team their grandfather cheered for. I'm not saying it couldn't happen over time but I doubt there are many owners who are willing eat the cost for the years it would take to get in the black in this market.

So how do expansion/moves do it? The ones that have been able to establish themselves locally are located a long way from any competing franchises and where there was a diverse following of non-local teams. Phoenix for example, their closest competing franchises were LA or San Diego (about the same distance) and the locals were very split on who 'their team' was. The Chargers and Broncos probably had the bulk of the fandom with L.A. teams (can't remember which ones were there at the time) probably coming in 3rd. Not far behind were the ubiquitous ones - Steelers, Cowboys, and Raiders, etc. It was a market ripe for a local franchise. Same with the Oilers/Titans move and the Panthers expansion. The other successful approach is to move/expand into markets that had previously hosted an established team and the locals are looking for what they once had - Texans in Houston, Rams to St. Louis, old Browns to Baltimore, new Browns in Cleveland.

Even then it's a risk. L.A. has the 2nd largest market should have no problem keeping a team but they can't.

tldr; NFL owners look at the Cowboys fanbase in San Antonio and figure it would be too expensive of a nut to crack.

edit: I wanted to add that the Cardinals, despite not being a perennial contender, also were able to side step initial ill-will by funding their stadium through hotel/car rental tax - thus not ticking off the local taxpayers.

Last edited by CyVaquero; 11-30-2018 at 05:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio