Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 12:49 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Virginia View Post
I learned to speak Virginian pretty fast so I think I can learn Texan again. Please be patient with me.

Lori
Chew goddit, mamas.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,685,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Good morning.

Dang, I'm the OLD mom here. Reading thru all this morning's convo is pretty interesting. Coupla points/things that I've learned in my 23+ years of parenting:

- Yes, kids swear like crazy on xBox live. Believe me, they swear that much at school, too. Not that I don't jump ALL over my son when I hear it come out of HIS mouth, but I know it's not the only place he's hearing it, and it's not much/any worse than at school.

- Be careful about "judging" other parent's motives about how old is "old enough" to let them go to a store, or the mall, or even the library without adult supervision. I always try to think back to when I was that age ~ what was I allowed to do ~ and then balance it out based on the way society is today. (Note ~ I haven't read the story about the 12yog yet.......)

- And I know you're (mostly) joking about not letting your girls date till they're 30, dim. But if you knew my experience in that area, you'd understand why it ........ Iunno......... makes me cringe.

I've found out (the absolutely miserably sad, HARD way) that being too overprotective can back fire, too. Big time.

It's all about balance. I'm WAY far from a perfect parent! But balance is what I strive for these days.

Just my very, uber humble opinion.
Jules, you seem like a great mom! I was thinking last night, you are probably an ideal mom to your kids (and probably their friends too). You seem very caring and understanding with your kids, seems like they could tell you anything and open up to you, you seem like you'd be a very open minded mama, but you still know how to keep them safe and set their limits. I bet they actually respect you for that. I hope I can be like that when J gets older, that's the type of mama I'm striving to be at least.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:57 PM

285 posts, read 675,007 times
I must be the oldest person here since I have daughters who are 32 and 29. They often complained that I was the meanest Mom in the world, but both have since thanked me for being the parent and not their friend.

I wish my daughters could have "wandered the streets" as I did as a child, but they didn't live in the world I lived in, unfortunately. I cannot imagine how much worse it will be when my granddaughter is a teenager a decade from now.

Lori

3,468 posts, read 8,521,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Jules, you seem like a great mom! I was thinking last night, you are probably an ideal mom to your kids (and probably their friends too). You seem very caring and understanding with your kids, seems like they could tell you anything and open up to you, you seem like you'd be a very open minded mama, but you still know how to keep them safe and set their limits. I bet they actually respect you for that. I hope I can be like that when J gets older, that's the type of mama I'm striving to be at least.
Sanx, mojo! That means a lot! Have to admit, it's not always been this way. Had a "life changing" event about 5 years ago that snapped me out of what I refer to as my "cult days". I learned alot, and have since then hoped that my kids didn't suffer too much from it. Fortunately, they seem to be doing ok, pretty resilient kids are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
I'm totally kidding about that. My hope is that, over the next 10-15 years, I can instill enough in my children that I will be able to trust their decisionmaking ability. But, on the other hand, I will still be as concerned about their safety. I don't know your experience, Jules, but I had a friend who grew up with an over-protective mother. (He still had a 9pm curfew when he came home from college, all the way up to his senior year. ) Not a good situation.

--Dim
I think this is a good point! I think if you try to raise them the way you want to throughout their life, then they are going to grow into wonderful adults! I also believe that you need to have a good relationship with your kids from the start so they always want to be around you and trust and share things with you. I hope to instill enough on my son so he grows to be a strong, open minded, individual adult and doesn't feel the pressures of society. That's my goal at least!

As for overprotective parents...I had them. It was odd...at times they would be the best parents, very caring concerning, open minded, etc. but I think they thought they weren't doing a good enough job and they would get strict! They would yell at me if I was even 2-3 minutes past my curfew (seriously yell, curse, and punish) or they would set a curfew for me even through college breaks (it was midnight). I think that's actually when I lost the most respect towards my parents because I felt like there was no trust. Then, of course, I'd lash out in some teenage way. That's my experience at least and I think I've learned from that.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Sanx, mojo! That means a lot! Have to admit, it's not always been this way. Had a "life changing" event about 5 years ago that snapped me out of what I refer to as my "cult days". I learned alot, and have since then hoped that my kids didn't suffer too much from it. Fortunately, they seem to be doing ok, pretty resilient kids are.
Really??? I figured you were always the way you are now. You don't need to share details, but just wanted to let you know that it seems like you are doing pretty OK.

Oh, when you said "cult days" I automatically thought of the band, "The Cult".

Old 06-27-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
lol! Right now, my 4-year old would LOVE that. She's fascinated by the circus, even though she's never been to one. There have been a few times my wife came close, even if she denies it!

--Dim
In 4th grade, our youngest daughter wrote an essay on "what I want to be when I grow up" that she planned to go to clown college because it only took 8 weeks and it would "get my parents off my back about college." LOL!

This is the same child who now has her Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering and has 9 years of higher education.

Lori

Old 06-27-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
(My girls aren't dating until they're 30.)

--Dim
We told our daughters that they couldn't date until they were married! They called us on that at around 5 years old. ("Momma, married people don't date!")

Lori

Old 06-27-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
LOLOLOL... oh, I dont know why, but that statement right there just has me giggling uncontrollably, about wanting to sell your kids to the circus when they were 17..... LOLOLOL....

You all are really really good moms on this board.....
I ADORE kids and always wanted SIX of them.... until I MARRIED someone that appeared to be about five years old on his good days, and decided one overgrown infant is plenty in the household.....

Then, when I divorced him I was TERRIFIED of re-marrying... (my grandmother was married seven times, and I was afraid it ran in the family - true story!!).... but still wanted children....
Oh I had plenty of girlfriends in the same boat and they decided to go ahead and have kids, married or not....
I just felt like kids have it hard enough these days with two loving parents that also love each other.... why start them OFF with less than they really deserve???
I just believe God made men and women separate and apart for more than just procreation and kids growing up need both......
Now, if you're single raising a child PLEASE don't think I'm saying you are doing lesser of a job... I'm not saying that at all.... I've seen awesome single moms AND Dads.....
AND if you're gay and are co-mamas or co-papas to your children, I'm not saying you are doing lesser of a job either.... My niece is a co-mama to that gorgeous little wonderful nephew whose photo I jam in everyone's face these days.... LOLOL.... she and her partner are wonderful people and wonderful parents....
but I was just not able to deliberately CHOOSE to raise a child alone.... just seemed unfair and selfish.....
I understand what you are saying Pops. I at least think, that most people don't want to raise their children alone. Sometimes it's just bad life circumstances. I think even they know two parents are better than one, sometimes it just takes some time to find the right parent.

Thanks for saying we are good moms. I needed to hear that especially after my little monkey boy was jumping around and talking quite loudly everywhere last night!

Old 06-27-2008, 01:06 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,521,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Really??? I figured you were always the way you are now. You don't need to share details, but just wanted to let you know that it seems like you are doing pretty OK.

Oh, when you said "cult days" I automatically thought of the band, "The Cult".
LOL!! Nah, closer to FLDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio