Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 12:08 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,699,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Virginia View Post
In 4th grade, our youngest daughter wrote an essay on "what I want to be when I grow up" that she planned to go to clown college because it only took 8 weeks and it would "get my parents off my back about college." LOL!

This is the same child who now has her Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering and has 9 years of higher education.

Lori

HAHAHA!!!! That is SO hillarious! I am reading books on "spirited" children, and gifted children. (sometimes they are one in the same) Anyway, it often times says that really bright children are actually unmotivated and often times will not do well in school or not be motivated for school because they just get bored. So, I just found that very funny that she said that and now she is doing so well!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
LOL!! Nah, closer to FLDS.
Seriously??? Do you mean Fund. Church Lad. Sts? I'm guessing that's what FLDS means?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:18 PM

285 posts, read 677,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
HAHAHA!!!! That is SO hillarious! I am reading books on "spirited" children, and gifted children. (sometimes they are one in the same) Anyway, it often times says that really bright children are actually unmotivated and often times will not do well in school or not be motivated for school because they just get bored. So, I just found that very funny that she said that and now she is doing so well!
I honestly think ALL of those books are written about our daughter! She was especially difficult in 6th grade when we moved and she deliberately scored 1 point less than required to be in the gifted program because she wanted to be "average." The teacher could tell she had done it but couldn't let her into the program. She refused to do homework all through elementary school because, "I know I know it. Why do I have to prove to the teacher that I know it?"

A wise teacher got through to her in the 8th grade and she finally realized she had a gift that she should use. The day she received her early acceptance letter to William & Mary, we went to her elementary school to tell her 4th grade teacher that she would not be going to clown college, after all!

Lori

Old 06-27-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Virginia View Post
I honestly think ALL of those books are written about our daughter! She was especially difficult in 6th grade when we moved and she deliberately scored 1 point less than required to be in the gifted program because she wanted to be "average." The teacher could tell she had done it but couldn't let her into the program. She refused to do homework all through elementary school because, "I know I know it. Why do I have to prove to the teacher that I know it?"

A wise teacher got through to her in the 8th grade and she finally realized she had a gift that she should use. The day she received her early acceptance letter to William & Mary, we went to her elementary school to tell her 4th grade teacher that she would not be going to clown college, after all!

Lori
I know I always sound like a bragging mama about my little guy...but that totally sounds like things he would do in the future. He's only 3 almost 4 and sometimes he says or does things that seem beyond his age. I hope I can give him the right tools and guidance to help him go far academically and intellectually.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Chew goddit, mamas.
Tried to rep you for that one, but I've got some spreading to do!

Lori

Old 06-27-2008, 12:24 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
YEP. Now, we weren't FLDS, but alot of the same principles. The whole homeschooling (which I do still believe is a GREAT thing, tho), living WAY out in the country, NO dating ~ ever, girls always wear "modest" dresses and don't cut their hair, no "unwholesome music", no video games, VERY LITTLE tv, teenagers never went out with friends w/out adults, on and on............ It was SOOOO not me, so I'm glad to have finally "found myself" again.

(edit ~ oh, this was meant to be in response to mojo. )

Old 06-27-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
I know I always sound like a bragging mama about my little guy...but that totally sounds like things he would do in the future. He's only 3 almost 4 and sometimes he says or does things that seem beyond his age. I hope I can give him the right tools and guidance to help him go far academically and intellectually.
I enjoy reading about your child. It always brings back memories about our daughters. Keep sharing!

Lori

Old 06-27-2008, 12:31 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
LOL!! Nah, closer to FLDS.
DO NOT beat yourself up. I don't know your story, but I sense that you feel a lot of guilt, and guilt is the biggest energy-wasting emotion on the planet. (trust me, I know guilt--I was raised Catholic, and I apologize if that offends any of you Catholics that may read this).

Whatever you've done, whatever you've said, as long as you have loved your kids and acted with a true desire to see them up into adulthood in the best way you knew how--there is no reason for guilt, apologies, regrets, whatever. I am so tired of having to tell my own mom that!! She still agonizes over our childhoods--and I would not wish that on anyone. It's over, we survived, and ya know what? Sometimes things just suck. Sometimes they are awesome. But if they were always awesome, you'd never know it--you need a basis of comparison, don't you? And when it sucks, man, you sure appreciate those awesome times.

Life is good....don't waste a minute!!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
YEP. Now, we weren't FLDS, but alot of the same principles. The whole homeschooling (which I do still believe is a GREAT thing, tho), living WAY out in the country, NO dating ~ ever, girls always wear "modest" dresses and don't cut their hair, no "unwholesome music", no video games, VERY LITTLE tv, teenagers never went out with friends w/out adults, on and on............ It was SOOOO not me, so I'm glad to have finally "found myself" again.

(edit ~ oh, this was meant to be in response to mojo. )
Wow, that totally surprises me! Sorry if I'm getting to deep into your personal life here. How long did you follow that guideline? That would be SO difficult for me to follow...seriously! I think it would be hard to parent that way too.

I'm guessing you weren't listening to RHCP's or The Smiths, or The cure, or any of those bands during those times??? *always bringing the music back into threads!*

Old 06-27-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
DO NOT beat yourself up. I don't know your story, but I sense that you feel a lot of guilt, and guilt is the biggest energy-wasting emotion on the planet. (trust me, I know guilt--I was raised Catholic, and I apologize if that offends any of you Catholics that may read this).

Whatever you've done, whatever you've said, as long as you have loved your kids and acted with a true desire to see them up into adulthood in the best way you knew how--there is no reason for guilt, apologies, regrets, whatever. I am so tired of having to tell my own mom that!! She still agonizes over our childhoods--and I would not wish that on anyone. It's over, we survived, and ya know what? Sometimes things just suck. Sometimes they are awesome. But if they were always awesome, you'd never know it--you need a basis of comparison, don't you? And when it sucks, man, you sure appreciate those awesome times.

Life is good....don't waste a minute!!
Oh, Sapphire getting philosophical! I think you've made some great points that I need to incorporate into my life. Like I've said before, I worry, I fret, I will probably always be like that...but maybe I can do it less if I remember what you've said here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio