Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 02:03 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,685,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
LOL!! Yep sapphire, I was raised Catholic too, so I understand the guilt thing! (and I too, mean no offense to anyone by that ). And no mojo, none of my fave bands during that time. We "believed" that stuff for about 4 years, and it took losing our oldest daughter (she ran away/left home the day before Father's Day) to wake us up and shake us out of it. I say "us", but it was mainly me. My hubby wasn't quite as sold on it as I was. We didn't have any contact with her for almost 6 months, and it's been a healing process all these years between us and her & her husband (she got married about 3 months after she left home).

I don't really beat myself up about it anymore, but I did for a while. Since my kids seem (relatively) well adjusted now, very happy, and our family is SO close ~ I feel like we've come thru it all for the better. So, while the whole thing was incredibly difficult and terribly painful, it was necessary and served its purpose. AND, I'm so fortunate that my bigger kids are insightful and have each expressed to me that they understand and can see that everything that I "believed" was because of my deep desire for them to be happy, to feel incredibly loved, all that. I wuv my kids!!

The "why I don't go to to church anymore" story will hafta wait for another day, tho! LOL!!!
I find this story very facinating. I'm sure you have learned a lot and not only that, but your kids have learned a lot too. Life lessons are always an amazing tool. I hope you didn't think I was trying to pry or anything. I just let people share whatever they feel comfortable with. Sometimes listening to other people's stories helps me with my life. Very facinating.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:07 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,521,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
I find this story very facinating. I'm sure you have learned a lot and not only that, but your kids have learned a lot too. Life lessons are always an amazing tool. I hope you didn't think I was trying to pry or anything. I just let people share whatever they feel comfortable with. Sometimes listening to other people's stories helps me with my life. Very facinating.
Nah, I didn't think you were trying to pry. But you're right, we learned a lot. And I've lately hoped that I could somehow use what I learned to help others. Maybe someday I'll figure out how.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:15 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,273,279 times
Quote:
How is it that we have a 3100 sq. ft house, yet my son is laying on my lap and my dog is under my feet?! Don't we have the room to spread out a bit here!?
my wife is off today and I guarantee you she is on the couch with three furballs all over and under her.. and the fourth one snoring on the ground under her
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Relevant to today's OT topic:

FOXNews.com - Divers Launch Lake Search for Missing 12-Year-Old Vermont Girl - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

What are these kids thinking? This is so sad and so totally avoidable.....parents, pay attention!!!!!!!
saw that yesterday and it's bad. What kind of fool wants to meet a 12 year old and what kind of 12 year old is thinking about meeting guys? things have changed a lot in the almost 30 years its been since I was 12..
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Nothing obsessive or over-protective about it, mojokitty. I would have waited around, myself. Or, better yet, talked with the parent of the girl she was meeting to make sure everything was legit. A 12-year old girl has no business being dropped off at a public place without adult supervision of some kind. That goes for malls, movie theaters, etc.

Of course, I'm a young dad with two little girls at home, so my opinion is a bit biased. (My girls aren't dating until they're 30.)

--Dim
ha ha, wait until one is 21 and looks like she's never going to leave the house... you'll be screaming at her to go meet a guy, get married, something..
Quote:
I wish I knew how to record sound and post it on here! To show you just how incredibly WEIRD my family is now ~ my almost 22 year old daughter is in the shower, getting ready for work. She's singing (errrrrrrr shouting at the top of her lungs!) one of the songs from The Little Mermaid. (especially shouting the "bet they don't reprimand their daughters"! LOL!!)
get one of those little video grabber things that's made for posting on youtube.. it'll be hilarious and you can get them for under $50

Old 06-27-2008, 02:21 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,521,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
ha ha, wait until one is 21 and looks like she's never going to leave the house... you'll be screaming at her to go meet a guy, get married, something..
---------------------------------------------------------------
get one of those little video grabber things that's made for posting on youtube.. it'll be hilarious and you can get them for under $50
Hey! Maybe THAT'S the way I can get the 22yod to move out!!!! LOL!! (My 9yod said to me the other day, "Hey Mommy, if C---- EVER moves out, can I have her room?" ) I feel your pain on that one!!

Old 06-27-2008, 02:26 PM

285 posts, read 675,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Lori,
We lived in Ashburn Village up until last August, when I got a job in SA. I moved the wife and kids down in September. I've been back "up there" many times since then (work-related, sad to say), but this will be the first time that the rest of my family will join.

On the way up, we're taking a northerly route (through Dallas, Memphis, Nashville, Bristol, TN and on up I-81). The route back will take us "down south" through Knoxville, Chattanooga, Baton Rouge, and Houston. Should be a great trip--I finally get to use some of the Marriott points I've built up over the past year! --Dim
Whoa! Small world! We are Village People (as our daughters call those who live in Ashburn Village - they were in college when we moved here so they are immune)! Will you be in the Village this trip?

I am taking the northern route in August and will be interested to "talk" to you about construction and your overall experience with this route.

We are definitely kindred spirits as I'm using my (and DH's) Marriott points along the way!

You may have read that I have a great fear of highways that take the word HIGH too seriously. Please let me know if I'll encounter any of those double or triple decker highways along the way.

Lori

Old 06-27-2008, 02:30 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,397,160 times
Quote:
Can I just say...this is TOTALLY off topic....

If I have to watch the Curious George movie one more time with him...I'm going to yell!!!
Hey! I resemble that remark!!!

Quote:
LOL!! Yep sapphire, I was raised Catholic too, *snip*

I don't really beat myself up about it anymore, but I did for a while. Since my kids seem (relatively) well adjusted now, very happy, and our family is SO close ~ I feel like we've come thru it all for the better. So, while the whole thing was incredibly difficult and terribly painful, it was necessary and served its purpose. AND, I'm so fortunate that my bigger kids are insightful and have each expressed to me that they understand and can see that everything that I "believed" was because of my deep desire for them to be happy, to feel incredibly loved, all that. I wuv my kids!!

The "why I don't go to to church anymore" story will hafta wait for another day, tho! LOL!!!
Wow, Jules! Glad you guys pulled through everything. From what I've seen you guys are very close now! My family :hearts: your family!

Quote:
Oh don't even get me started!! I have sooo many bad stories about this.

Quote:
I wish I knew how to record sound and post it on here! To show you just how incredibly WEIRD my family is now ~ my almost 22 year old daughter is in the shower, getting ready for work. She's singing (errrrrrrr shouting at the top of her lungs!) one of the songs from The Little Mermaid. (especially shouting the "bet they don't reprimand their daughters"! LOL!!)
Some of the online vid sites will do some conversion for you - or use mp3/wav format for sound only and use a site like box.net or something to share!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:17 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
Quote:
Oh, Sapphire getting philosophical! I think you've made some great points that I need to incorporate into my life. Like I've said before, I worry, I fret, I will probably always be like that...but maybe I can do it less if I remember what you've said here.
Sorry if I sounded preachy.....I just think women especially are so hard on themselves when it comes to their kids. And I'm guilty of beating myself up, too--I know I worked too many hours when my oldest was little--I missed out on a lot of "moments" that I'll never get back. I learned, though, and when I had my youngest I vowed I would not do that again. For the most part, I've held true to that.

I suspect that you and your son will be just fine.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:50 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,273,279 times
very nice youtube video thing.. $179 DXG-567V HD camcorder uploads right to YouTube - Engadget

$179 though

Old 06-27-2008, 03:59 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
Single mom with big........brains!
FOXNews.com - Single Mom in Florida Selling Heart and Home on Craigslist - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Old 06-27-2008, 04:11 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,258,675 times
Default kitty gets it from the owner?

YouTube - Fat Cat watching TV SITTING on the couch

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio