Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:47 AM

246 posts, read 433,760 times

Advertisements

Decided to cut Time Warner/Spectrum loose and save some money.

We have Netflix and Amazon for movies etc. I installed an OTA antenna for all the locals with very good results (sort of)

I get strong signals for all local stations but during the evening I have nothing from KSAT. Come morning it is back to 80-100 signal. I know KSAT along with KLRN are VHF signals (most of the others are UHF) I have KLRN strong signal 24 hours a day.

KSAT says I need one of the old school giant antennas. This does not make sense.

Anyone else "cutting the cord"? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 09:53 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob View Post

We have Netflix and Amazon for movies etc. I installed an OTA antenna for all the locals with very good results (sort of)

I get strong signals for all local stations but during the evening I have nothing from KSAT. Come morning it is back to 80-100 signal. I know KSAT along with KLRN are VHF signals (most of the others are UHF) I have KLRN strong signal 24 hours a day.

KSAT says I need one of the old school giant antennas. This does not make sense.

I recall having a similar problem when I was using an antennae. I think I moved the darn thing around so much until I found the perfect spot. Ears up, ears down, half up, half down, twisted, turned, on the ground, but eventually found the right spot.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 AM

I have mine located where it gets very good signal from all stations but for whatever reason, KSAT disappears at night. It does come back during the day. I guess I need a day antenna and a night antenna.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:48 AM

894 posts, read 1,548,166 times
I use Apple TVs and the Playstation Vue App. Yes we pay for Playstation Vue, but it has NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox (NBC and Fox disappeared for a while, but came back after Sinclair agreed to carriage agreement). I also have an HD Homerun made by Silicon Dust that is connected to my antenna. With that I have the Channels app and can watch OTA TV on any of my Apple TVs around the house. Don't miss cable at all and I get the channels I want for a fraction of what cable used to cost. And no more renting cable boxes.

Purely on the topic of OTA, KSAT and KLRN have always been a problem for me because of VHF and weak signals. Don't know if they will ever change that.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:58 AM

Rustybolt,
We use Playstation Vue and I have had a good experience with it except for loosing NBC and FOX. Glad they are back.

I just got a Tablo DVR for the antenna and the early results are good. Like the interface etc. If only I could get KSAT consistently. There is a Tablo app for Roku.

Not really a big deal since we get all the locals on PS Vue but would still like to have the antenna option.

Looking forward to the day when the new 5G internet service makes it to SA. It went live in Houston and other locations today (Verizon). They claim 300 mbs and up. Spectrum is gouging for just having internet with no other services. They have to be scared of the changes coming.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:15 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Many of the antennas on the market today are smaller, and optimized for UHF reception. They may or may not pick up high-band VHF channels, like KSAT & KLRN. You need to look for an antenna that specifically states it is designed both UHF & VHF channels.

For example, Mohu came out with a new Leaf antenna, called the "Glide", which is flat, but larger than the traditional Mohu Leafs. It is claimed to be optimized for VHF, which is important if you are trying to do this with an indoor antenna. If it is possible to do so, a rooftop antenna will usually yield significantly better results. You can usually just use the existing coaxial cable that was connected to your cable or satellite service, if you are no longer using those services.

Many of the streaming services are also offering live local broadcast channels, although most are missing one or more of the major network affiliates. I think Youtube TV has the most complete San Antonio locals lineup, but note that none of the streaming services include live PBS stations, which would be KLRN in San Antonio. Streaming also doesn't include the digital sub-channels, like MeTV, COZI, GetTV. There are potentially 50+ free OTA broadcast channels that an be received in San Antonio, with an antenna. KCWX and its ThisTV sub-channel are rare low-band VHF channels, broadcasting from a transmitter near Albert, TX. Very few low-band VHF TV antennas on the market today.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Many of the antennas on the market today are smaller, and optimized for UHF reception. They may or may not pick up high-band VHF channels, like KSAT & KLRN. You need to look for an antenna that specifically states it is designed both UHF & VHF channels.

For example, Mohu came out with a new Leaf antenna, called the "Glide", which is flat, but larger than the traditional Mohu Leafs. It is claimed to be optimized for VHF, which is important if you are trying to do this with an indoor antenna. If it is possible to do so, a rooftop antenna will usually yield significantly better results. You can usually just use the existing coaxial cable that was connected to your cable or satellite service, if you are no longer using those services.

Many of the streaming services are also offering live local broadcast channels, although most are missing one or more of the major network affiliates. I think Youtube TV has the most complete San Antonio locals lineup, but note that none of the streaming services include live PBS stations, which would be KLRN in San Antonio. Streaming also doesn't include the digital sub-channels, like MeTV, COZI, GetTV. There are potentially 50+ free OTA broadcast channels that an be received in San Antonio, with an antenna. KCWX and its ThisTV sub-channel are rare low-band VHF channels, broadcasting from a transmitter near Albert, TX. Very few low-band VHF TV antennas on the market today.
I have a ClearStream VHF/UHF antenna. I also use Playstation VUe and get all the locals. Just looking to have the antenna as a backup. Don't really care about KLRN but I get it very strong. It is KSAT that is the problem.

Saw the Mohu. Might give it a try. I have returned a couple of antennas already, why stop there?

Old 10-01-2018, 12:26 PM

657 posts, read 1,937,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob View Post

VHF doesn't need to be old school really big. I'm using one of these outdoors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note the VHF element is just those rods sticking out horizontally at the top. The UHF element is the bowtie part of that.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:33 PM

That ClearStream 2V is the one I have. I still have a problem with KSAT at night. All other stations are fine.

It was the KSAT engineer who sent me a picture of the big old VHF antenna. I guess I could put one in my attic and give it a try.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:01 PM

6,508 posts, read 7,543,265 times
Good for you, cable television is a waste of time and money in 2018 especially with the good internet. I gave up on it 3 years ago when I realized how bad the news channels were (Fox, CNN, MSNBC) and that most of the normal cable channels mostly showed reality TV all week with limited number of movies on weekends. Even the mainstream sports channels were getting bad the last few years I had cable. And the kids like watching cartoons on QUBO and PBS KIDS over which are both OTA.

Mohu Leaf Amplified Antenna.

https://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Antenna-.../dp/B00APPDX86.

You plug into the TV and an outlet and move around as necessary. I get most local TV channels just fine and I am in South Bexar County out in the sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio