Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 08:59 AM

32 posts, read 95,813 times

Advertisements

I was considering a relocation to San Antonio and came across this site that divided San Antonio into different sections. However, not being from there I don't know what those areas really "mean." I'm from Atlanta and I'm certain that these areas must be similar in terms of "naming" like Downtown, Buckhead and Midtown. Curious, what's the best place to look for a home in San Antonio for families with kids still in school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 09:12 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Search, search search. Asked and answered almost monthly. Naming areas here and Atlanta are not the same. Atlanta has suburbs (actual cities) and we have neighborhoods. Now, we have several cities within the city, but not in the way say Chamblee is or Buckhead is.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:31 PM

85 posts, read 201,093 times
Check out the section under "Neighborhood Maps" here:

https://www.sanantonio.gov/GIS/DownloadableMaps

The one called "Neighborhood, Community, and Perimeter Plans" also shows the enclave cities such as Olmos Park, Castle Hills, Leon Valley, etc. The one called "Neighborhood Associations" has some good detail for neighborhood boundaries within the city of San Antonio.

Real estate listings often play fast and loose with these names; for example anything near Broadway inside 410 is often labelled "Alamo Heights".

There are many areas that are good for raising children but it depends on your preferences and budget. Also, are you looking for private or public school? Like to be close to the city or prefer to have your own space? How about your work commute?

Old 07-25-2018, 03:10 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
As far as good schools...Alamo Heights 78209 just north of downtown was once a suburb now surrounded by SA but has its own district; Boerne, TX a town north of San Antonio; 78258/78259/78260 that falls in NEISD (North East ISD)usually referred to as Stone Oak although it includes more neighborhoods than Stone Oak. These areas have many of the higher rated public schools in the SA area. NISD (Northside ISD) along north 1604 has some good schools as well. NEISD and NISD are huge districts so have both good schools and Title 1 schools. You’ll have to check the schools zoned for each neighborhood individually.

Where you’d be working and the style/age of homes will be important of course. Heights is older and definitely more convenient to downtown. North of 1604 will be more congested and have more new “cookie-cutter” neighborhoods.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:47 AM

32 posts, read 95,813 times
Thanks, all the posts are certainly helpful. I guess I was trying to get a good description of the "areas." I get that it's not Atlanta, but most cities have "sections" inside the city. So there's "the big city" >> sections >> neighborhoods >> blocks at least that's been my experience in other cities.

Thank you @NeedCoffee for the GIS link!

Old 07-31-2018, 11:04 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
Buckhead = Alamo Heights
Boerne, and some of the nice NEisd schools are a step under that but still nice.
San Antonio Academy and Saint Marys Hall would be the equivalent to whatever private school the rich kids in Buckhead go to. They are about on par with AH, maybe a bit nicer nowadays.

Boerne and the others might be better schools than Heights but they don't have that Buckhead feel.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:33 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Good areas come with a price. What's your budget, OP?

Lots of info on the sticker, at the top of this forum page. Please use search. This kind of questions are answered almost weekly. It almost feels like we should use canned response
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio