Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:18 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,057,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
San Antonio is only 60% of the metro (which is still high) and depending on the year the growth is 50/50 city and metro. You thank the capital for San Antonio's annexation policies. County's in Texas do not have enough land use power.

BTW the most conservative areas of San Antonio have the highest education attainment. Also, the national average of Hispanic bachelor attainment is on 15% and we are a majority minority city.

Alamo Heights - conservative - 73.6% with a bachelors degree
Terrill Heights - conservative - 78.0% with a bachelors degree
Comal County - conservative - 34.5% with a bachelors degree
Kendall County - conservative - 39.3% with a bachelors degree

https://www.census.gov/

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...mo/p20-578.pdf
Did you mean Terrell Hills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
I don't like it when people assume that you should like San Antonio just because you're Hispanic.
He is saying it is better to live there if you are hispanic than if you are white. He is almost certainly correct

Old 08-09-2018, 10:32 PM

502 posts, read 395,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
He is saying it is better to live there if you are hispanic than if you are white. He is almost certainly correct
How would you know?

Old 08-10-2018, 12:01 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,330,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
San Antonio is only 60% of the metro (which is still high) and depending on the year the growth is 50/50 city and metro. You thank the capital for San Antonio's annexation policies. County's in Texas do not have enough land use power.

BTW the most conservative areas of San Antonio have the highest education attainment. Also, the national average of Hispanic bachelor attainment is on 15% and we are a majority minority city.

Alamo Heights - conservative - 73.6% with a bachelors degree
Terrill Heights - conservative - 78.0% with a bachelors degree
Comal County - conservative - 34.5% with a bachelors degree
Kendall County - conservative - 39.3% with a bachelors degree

https://www.census.gov/

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...mo/p20-578.pdf
I'm being nit picky, but it's actually slightly more than 61%, which is why I said almost 2/3rds (which would be 66%). And it's partly the state government's leeway that allowed SA to aggressively annex, but SA itself chose the degree of aggressiveness.

Firstly, I did not make a claim to the liberal vs conservative question (party does not equate to liberal or conservative a lot of the time with voters).
Furthermore, Clinton came within a couple hundred votes collectively from winning every precinct in Alamo Heights - the area swung very hard away from the margins Mitt Romney, McCain, and Bush won. The same is true in Terrill Heights, where Clinton won some outright, and came within a dozen or so votes in others. This is why you keep seeing Democrats winning or coming within low single digits in recent elections in areas like these, where for much of the past half century, D's didn't have a pie in the sky chance at coming within a mile of winning.

In Austin that was true as well (Round Rock/Cedar Park/Westlake/Georgetown/Kyle).

It wasn't a dig at SA's educational attainment, was simply pointing to new political trends that have given way thanks to you know who.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:14 AM

392 posts, read 751,999 times
Don't act like suddenly these uber conservative areas have become liberal. Trump was a very different candidate. He wasn't seen as conservative enough for some on the right, and freaked out those on the left and such... Those results don't mean that all-of-a-sudden these old neighborhoods changed their ideologies overnight. For instance, they will be voting for Cruz most likely by a nice margin, rather than for Beto.

WHO CARES anyway? San Antonio is a laid-back town where people largely don't get butt-hurt about politics. Let's keep it that way.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:28 AM

4,377 posts, read 7,304,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
Don't act like suddenly these uber conservative areas have become liberal. Trump was a very different candidate. He wasn't seen as conservative enough for some on the right, and freaked out those on the left and such... Those results don't mean that all-of-a-sudden these old neighborhoods changed their ideologies overnight.
I agree, looking only at the 2016 Presidential election results can't be construed as an accurate bellwether of voter trends.

For example, Bexar County voted Greg Abbott over Wendy Davis in the 2014 Texas Governor's race, but voted Bill White over incumbent Rick Perry in 2010.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:27 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,430,628 times
An interesting discussion that has veered off on to politics, which is fine. However, I was just reading elnina's earlier comment regarding to what extent elements of German culture still exist in San Antonio. I know from reading that in Houston (where I live) Germans were an important part of the community, but one would not know it today other than for the German street names in west Houston.

I have read that prior to WWI and WWII, a lot of Texas families spoke German at home, but later pushed to assimilate into Anglo-American culture due to prejudice engendered during those wars.

I know that places like New Braunfels and Fredericksburg successfully use German heritage to promote business. My impression is that its pretty fake, though I would not tell them to stop. A Houston colleague from Germany once hosted his German parents here on a trip to Fredericksburg and they were rather shocked and disappointed after absorbing all the hype about how it was a little time capsule of German culture. I found their experience instructive. On the other hand, I find Fredericksburg to be fun if one accepts it as it is.

Has anyone here been to Solvang, California? Some would believe its a quaint little Danish village. In actuality, its a kitschy tourist trap. Despite that, it is still fun as long as one doesn't fall for the PR.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:29 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,284,949 times
San Antonio and the Hill Country most definitely had a strong German presence at one time. My mother attended school just outside San Antonio (at that time- we’ll within the city now) and begged not to go back after the first day because the children didn’t speak “American” on the playground. They were speaking German in 1937. My Scottish Great Grandfather worked for Prince Solms in New Braunfels and married a German immigrant back when we were a country. No faking it’s German heritage and the same with Fredericksburg. These towns are in Texas in the US though so are not going to be exactly the same as a German town as time would have changed traditions, etc.

If you look around San Antonio there are lots of remnants of the German influence. King William is named after a King if Prussia. The Guenther House, the Menger Hotel, Huebner Rd, Wurzbach, Binz-Engleman all named for Germans who settled here. My favorite German name is Bluemel Rd a little road by USAA. Everyone says “Blue Mel” but my mother knew it led to the ”Blewmulls” farm once upon a time. It may not be so obvious now but there’s no denying the past influence.

I thought Solvang was cute but I only went to a play there so didn’t get the full effect. I assumed it was purely a tourist spot not a town established by Dutch settlers but again I wasn’t exposed other than to get to the amphitheater.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:31 PM

894 posts, read 1,556,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I was attempting to categorize all of 410 artsy, obviously not every single neighborhood is.
Personally I don't like living near crime or Beto signs
So the deal is that I'm 58 and my dad just turned 85. In November we will both vote for Beto. The first time we have voted for a Democrat in our lives. Beto may not represent our views 100%, but who does. Personally, I'm sick and tired of a Canadian who masquerades as American claiming to need secure borders after he got in. I have a CHL, own two firearms, spent 27 years in the military where I was qualified on the M9, M16, M4, M249, and I support the second amendment, but the NRA and people who take their money need to be taken down a notch. No one in the Senate likes Ted Cruz and neither do most Texans, but, well hey...he's Republican so they are stuck. Its time for a change and I'm committed to making it happen. Any fool that supports the lunatic that got elected President is out in my book. I'm conservative, but I'm not a sellout. You like the current administration and want to vote like Kanye West, fine by me. I have principles, however, and i don't sell out to anyone.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
Don't act like suddenly these uber conservative areas have become liberal. Trump was a very different candidate. He wasn't seen as conservative enough for some on the right, and freaked out those on the left and such... Those results don't mean that all-of-a-sudden these old neighborhoods changed their ideologies overnight. For instance, they will be voting for Cruz most likely by a nice margin, rather than for Beto.

WHO CARES anyway? San Antonio is a laid-back town where people largely don't get butt-hurt about politics. Let's keep it that way.
I live in Alamo Heights, lots of people are liberal. Trump is not very different... He is just a real conservative. If they voted for HILLARY they will not be voting for Beto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio