Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 08:55 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
Property tax is just about as high in parts of Iowa too... tax burden in Texas is indeed lower. I'll have my breakfast tacos and Whataburger too!! hahaha, oh and awesome BBQ when I don't smoke it myself. Not that these are the reasons I'm moving, but... just wanna add some lightheartedness here.
Amen! SA is a good place to live. I don't complain about my surroundings, I try to make them better. We have more diversity here than most cities. I can make statements and generalities about this city, but, really we all have choices. If you don't like where you are, then move, or, make a move to change it. Complaining is so easy, if the people that complained about their lives, put as much effort into making it better, as they do complaining, we would have a near Utopia. Focus your energy positively and you will receive positive results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 08:03 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp73 View Post
I use to live in SA. I live there from my exit from the Army until about 5 or 6 years ago. I KNOW SA has had some changes and I read another thread that there was no prejudice in SA.

My experience - SA grossly underpay people saying that its "cheaper". It WAS cheaper maybe 15-20 years ago but with the growing population in Texas that is false. Rent and cost of housing has gone up. The continued saying from SA companies (I hear from other friends still living there) is you are lucky to have this job (IT professionals) in SA.

Let me tell you, the day I left SA, I doubled my income. DOUBLED. Fast forward 5 years I know make 150K a year.

So listen, I made 36k to 65K while I was in SA (65k came from an out of town company, it was a 20k increase). SA is not good for IT when I was there. If you move to SA, PLEASE PLEASE work for a company that is from out of town.

When it comes to PREJUDICE. At the same time I was white and I can tell you Hispanics were prejudice to me often enough to make a difference. I wouldn't say all of SA was like this but I watched the office become all Hispanic many times when a Hispanic manager came into power. Diversity issues are hidden often because of Hispanics are considered a minority nationally but not in SA. I am not the only one that has experience this. I had a manager laugh after I gave my two weeks on my last day telling me he didn't hire a Hispanic, he hired a white guy, who had a Hispanic name (His father was Mexican and his mother was white American, so he was white looking). I never experienced being white before.

I also experienced ALL WHITE offices as well. Less of them but it was obvious they were pushing for this. My point is no matter what color you are, it shouldn't happen.

I hear and hope SA is changing. More outside companies are coming in. I suspect the lower end salaried are getting pushed out with all the expensive cost housing going up where lower cost. My hopes is professionals are getting better wages.

If your a IT guy with more than 5 year experience at the Network, Server or Security Level and your not making 100k something is wrong. LEAVE. Get a CISSP cert and you will make more money but get out of SA. I hope I am wrong, please someone down there tell me I am wrong. But I do not think so. Just sharing a story that was frustrating but a happy ending.
For an IT guy (I am one too) your writing is sub-par. Did you go to Code-Up or something? I've never seen an IT department anywhere with many (if any) Hispanics, including San Antonio.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:30 PM

437 posts, read 638,834 times
Assuming all you said is actually true (and that’s a big assumption), it sounds like you had one bad job and are judging the whole IT sector in SA which is unfortunate. I am in IT and making six figures. But I have had a previous job that had below average wages. Happens in any city. I have coworkers and former coworkers in SA that make six figures or close to it. I don’t think you have to move out of SA to make six figures if you are well rounded with knowledge. Sounds like the people you worked with forced you not to look elsewhere in the city though.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:20 PM

20 posts, read 13,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
Assuming all you said is actually true (and that’s a big assumption), it sounds like you had one bad job and are judging the whole IT sector in SA which is unfortunate. I am in IT and making six figures. But I have had a previous job that had below average wages. Happens in any city. I have coworkers and former coworkers in SA that make six figures or close to it. I don’t think you have to move out of SA to make six figures if you are well rounded with knowledge. Sounds like the people you worked with forced you not to look elsewhere in the city though.
Sounds like? sigh...ok man. You do you.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
For an IT guy (I am one too) your writing is sub-par. Did you go to Code-Up or something? I've never seen an IT department anywhere with many (if any) Hispanics, including San Antonio.
ha ha, this has to be Sin on a separate account or a buddy. Wow

Last edited by thechamp73; 08-13-2018 at 11:45 PM..

Old 08-13-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Amen! SA is a good place to live. I don't complain about my surroundings, I try to make them better. We have more diversity here than most cities. I can make statements and generalities about this city, but, really we all have choices. If you don't like where you are, then move, or, make a move to change it. Complaining is so easy, if the people that complained about their lives, put as much effort into making it better, as they do complaining, we would have a near Utopia. Focus your energy positively and you will receive positive results.
@Sinsativ - If you deliver an argument REALLY well, and it’s lie, or based on insults, or is almost all false or completely false, or bigoted, you still made a very crappy argument. But please continue to talk about MY lack of "positive" energy while you talk about my writing on a FORUM LOL. I am sure you will find something to say about me (troll much) again. I mean come on, really? As you sit behind you keyboard acting all tough and insulting me. You should really be careful approaching someone with this attitude in real life, wouldn't go well for you. This is suppose to be a "forum", its OK to disagree, not OK to bully or belittle someone. But is all good man, I really do not have the time. Good luck buddy.

Last edited by thechamp73; 08-13-2018 at 11:44 PM..

Old 08-14-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
I can only share my experience. I am glad you had a much different one. The lack of opportunities was mind boggling for me pre 2014. Once I left it was like a rush of water. Again I was getting close to half dozen phone calls a DAY for contracts and perm jobs. It was crazy.

No one "forced me" LOL. I looked and found other jobs. But again the pay scales where limited. I was met with comments "It's cheaper here" or "Not many IT jobs". If you experience is different, I am happy for you.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:54 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,406 times
Quote:
ha ha, this has to be Sin on a separate account or a buddy. Wow
Not at all. If I saw this writing sample before a job interview of Sin, it would be a definite pass.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:31 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
Quote:
@Sinsativ - If you deliver an argument REALLY well, and it’s lie, or based on insults, or is almost all false or completely false, or bigoted, you still made a very crappy argument. But please continue to talk about MY lack of "positive" energy while you talk about my writing on a FORUM LOL. I am sure you will find something to say about me (troll much) again. I mean come on, really? As you sit behind you keyboard acting all tough and insulting me. You should really be careful approaching someone with this attitude in real life, wouldn't go well for you. This is suppose to be a "forum", its OK to disagree, not OK to bully or belittle someone. But is all good man, I really do not have the time. Good luck buddy.
Bully/belittle? and you apparently are looking for something that is not there. You come onto a forum, make generalizations about a city, while doing so you use very poor grammar. I don't know the other people or persons that are commenting on the same thing. I'm not acting tough, nor am I trolling. I have been a member of this forum for over 10 years and responded to your post. I did not in any way attack or bully you. I observed what you were saying and made a comment on that as possibly being a consideration in what was happening to you and jobs relating to pay. Sorry you feel that way. I have a very good life and do not concern myself with your claims, nor am I your buddy.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Bully/belittle? and you apparently are looking for something that is not there. You come onto a forum, make generalizations about a city, while doing so you use very poor grammar. I don't know the other people or persons that are commenting on the same thing. I'm not acting tough, nor am I trolling. I have been a member of this forum for over 10 years and responded to your post. I did not in any way attack or bully you. I observed what you were saying and made a comment on that as possibly being a consideration in what was happening to you and jobs relating to pay. Sorry you feel that way. I have a very good life and do not concern myself with your claims, nor am I your buddy.
Ernest Hemingway. "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply."
Attached Thumbnails
San Antonio Prejudice - underpaid IT guy-e101bc12c77a488ecc076b3442eb84bd822b9bda8fb7c275b68f3288289ab4e3.jpg  

Last edited by thechamp73; 08-15-2018 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio