Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:50 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How your great news reflect this:
//www.city-data.com/forum/53074117-post113.html
What is your question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 10:54 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Funny - since this article suggests median income is higher than that of elnina's link.....

https://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/texas/san-antonio/
Yea I have no idea where her article is getting their numbers. They are 6K less than official census figures.

2016 median income $56,105 for San Antonio
2016 median income $56,565 for Texas

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...acsbr16-02.pdf

Old 09-20-2018, 03:53 PM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
1. Austin
9.43%

2. San Jose
8.43%

3. San Antonio
8.16%

6. Dallas
6.32%

As the economy continues to expand and the population grows I would not expect a break from the rising home values for the time being.
Bingo!

This coupled with other factors is why the San Antonio/Austin Belt is top 5 fastest growing areas in the nation and why locals probably will not see relief with their property tax increases year over year for the foreseeable future. If you are feeling the pinch and pain now, Im sorry but things will only get worse.

Current SA population growth means many things for locals. Some of which (but not limited to):

1. Increased traffic - people from all over the nation are flocking here and the roads are only so wide
2. More accidents as well as injuries and deaths from them - due to increased traffic, DUIs etc.
3. Increased auto insurance monthly premiums - more people means more traffic and a higher accident potential
4. Increased new home purchase prices
5. Increased used home purchase prices
6. Increased home rental prices
7. Increased apartment rental prices
8. Increased property taxes
9. Increased crime - more people generally means more crime
10. Increased taxes in other areas eventually - increased population generally means increased taxes in other areas
11. Bidding wars on used homes - being outbid even bidding asking/home appraisal price - in addition to this, other competing buyers may also offer to pay all closing costs of seller/other perks
12. Apartment rental property availability become more scarce - more competition - apartments can increase both requirements and price - out of state investors salivate and build luxury properties
13. Increased local fuel taxes affecting price may eventually follow - fuel is nationally traded - only thing really affecting price is this and local taxes and whether either of these decrease or increase
14. Food prices may increase as more distribution and logistics is needed due to increased population
15. Schools may become more overcrowded - less one on one attention for your child - child may perform worse - quality of each child's education as whole may decline
16. Longer wait times to see a specialized physician - more people means more in the que/waiting list to see a specialty doc
17. Unemployment may become an issue for locals in lower income jobs as more compete for them
18. An increase in homelessness if minimum wage to middle class wages do not follow suit with local inflation from all of the above
19. More value for your home when you go to sell - unfortunately this will be offset if you also buy local
20. Boon for local small to large businesses - especially if they manage to keep minimum to middle income wages they pay subordinates largely stagnant while increasing sales numbers

Last edited by txbullsfan; 09-20-2018 at 04:25 PM..

Old 09-20-2018, 06:52 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Growth doesn't happen in a vacuum. I know a number of small business owners, and business IS improving - as are the wages that they're paying. Not only does the market demand it (supply vs demand for skilled/semi-skilled labor), but in general. Folks that are willing to be on time and become an asset to the employer WILL be able to make more. Those that just want to go through the motions will continue to be underemployed - as they should be.

There ARE companies that underpay their employees - but that's true in ANY market, whether here or NYC. But there is continued upward pressure on the wage scale here in SA, because the increased population is creating more service-sector jobs (general contractors, electricians, plumbers, etc). I REALLY wish the local schools would restart the trades schools that so many had before everyone became convinced that college was a necessity. I know plumbers knocking down $100k+ a year routinely, and most trades are at that level. A GOOD finish carpenter is in such high demand that they can pick and choose their jobs - and believe me, you won't find them advertising on CL.

The economy IS going to grow - and for many, that means better lifestyles, if they'll make the effort. Those wanting to make a career out of working at McDonald's and crying because they're not making $15/hr will still be around, as well. The opportunity IS there - but you have to earn it.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:06 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,736 times
I do agree with the premise of your post redneck but I would add that working toward a college degree is a worthwhile endeavor and not something to be frowned upon or dismissed. While a skilled plumber can make great money, many people would rather not have to work such a physically demanding, grueling job. The fact that some plumbers make good money doesn't take away from the fact that it is a tough job. Enter a college education. Back in the early 2000's I completed my bachelor's degree at the University of Maryland. I was able to learn many things including how to make a living in IT. I had many doors open to me after I graduated and I received numerous job offers. Even though I was adept with computers, studying in college helped hone my skills and allowed me to expand my knowledge on a great many subjects. It was very much worth the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio