Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 02:49 PM

1,514 posts, read 884,394 times

Advertisements

If you live in San Antonio, are in the market for a water softener and a good local company to deal with and you have been overwhelmed, you are not alone.

There have been a number of people asking about water softeners here in San Antonio. There are a few threads on this topic but none of them go into detail and truly compare each company. I did so with my thorough research and spreadsheet.

Since I am buying a new home and I am in the market for a new water softener, I did extensive research on this topic. I recorded this information for your benefit. This work took a substantial amount of time and effort so if you benefit from it, I would appreciate a “rep point”.

Here is a picture of my San Antonio local water softener comparison spreadsheet:

Since the above picture has a lot of information and a small font was used to fit in all this information, the information may be hard to make out so here is the link to my spreadsheet on Google Docs:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

A few things to keep in mind

1. I know this is a lot of info but what I did to make it easier to sort through was give each company who was the top half of a particular category (say price) a green highlight. I then tallied up the total highlights of each company and put this towards the right hand portion of the spreadsheet. A trend and "top" companies appeared.

2. Many of the companies I researched are not water softener companies but are just plumbing companies that buy from a distributor

3. Most companies, even specific water softener only companies, buy the same type of water softeners (such as Charger or Nelson) and most use upgraded Klack valves and the like

4. The difference is what the company is going to charge you for this exact same water softener and how long they are going warranty it for. Also, how much are they going to charge you for the service call and to replace the Resin (which needs to be done eventually on all water softeners).

5. How long a company has been in business is an important consideration as a new company can promise you the moon in lifetime warranties and such but be out of business in a few years leaving you with no warranty

6. Yelp, Google reviews, Review Star and other reputable websites are a good gauge to determine the quality of both the service and parts received

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 03:09 PM

7,109 posts, read 11,770,458 times
With all due respect, you haven't heard from them all....

As I told you in our DM's, there's really not a way to quote you without testing the source water AND knowing just what it's going to take to install the system - I've been blindsided before.....lol

Most manufacturer's offer a 5-year warranty on their valves, and 10 on the tanks. NONE warranty for life - that's the reseller offering that, and you have to hope they're still around AND will honor the warranty. I can tell you from practical experience there's ALWAYS some way they find to charge you a pretty good sum for that "free warranty service", up to and including shipping the old part back AND shipping the replacement one to them.

You've done some pretty good research - but very few of the big box stores (if any) have a warranty service department. I know, because I get calls from folks pretty regularly trying to get warranty service done. Whether it's me or another local vendor, you're going to be better off working with an independent to get your equipment - our reputation rides on every call we make.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:25 PM

812 posts, read 669,053 times
Well done,
$550 for install seems a bit high.
My house was pre-plumbed for a softener and it took almost a half hour for two guys to install and set up. And maybe $5 plastic pipe connections.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
Well done,
$550 for install seems a bit high.
My house was pre-plumbed for a softener and it took almost a half hour for two guys to install and set up. And maybe $5 plastic pipe connections.
If you have PEX, those fittings are more than $5........lol If things go smoothly, about 45 minutes for two guys to install if they're trying to be sure they're doing things right. Usually about 1.5 hours drive-in to drive-out.

Having said that, I've seen it take 3-5 hours, too. Just remember - for it to look "that easy" means they've been doing it long enough to make it appear that way.....lol

Old 10-03-2018, 07:54 PM

5,529 posts, read 6,442,838 times
Thanks for posting your work, and it is work! When I decided to get one installed I checked out 3 companies, same with when I decided to have my yard fenced, 3 companies. All "names" in the business. I see, happily, that the company I chose is a top rated one on your spreadsheet, if not THE top rated one. I even asked the owner when on the phone, since it is family owned, if anything happened to him would I be SOL for future repairs, service, etc. He assured me his sons were learning and going to continue the business after he was done/gone from it.

I did not see one of the three companies on your spreadsheet that I checked out, and "his" was advertised on the radio and in the "junk mail" that we receive on a regular basis. He was very pricey and I was not impressed by what that cost gave me, the consumer.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:19 PM

61,355 posts, read 86,262,097 times
United States Ban Salt Water Softeners - Biowater Technology

Old 10-03-2018, 09:28 PM

elnina, not all that glitters is gold - and not everything on the internet is true.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:49 PM

61,355 posts, read 86,262,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
elnina, not all that glitters is gold - and not everything on the internet is true.
This could also relate to our C-D forums...

Old 10-03-2018, 09:51 PM

201 posts, read 381,373 times
AquaMasters put in a water softener for me in 2010, and they replaced the resin this year. Very happy with their pricing and service. I am sure TexasRedneck is great as well!

Old 10-03-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest1492 View Post
AquaMasters put in a water softener for me in 2010, and they replaced the resin this year. Very happy with their pricing and service. I am sure TexasRedneck is great as well!
There's a number of good local dealers out there. They'll give you a good, fair deal and back it up with service after the sale. I guess some of us get tired of the folks that've been ripped off, because we end up trying to make it work for them. Believe me - we hear about a LOT of it at our association meetings - but that's true for almost all businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio