Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:36 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,005,980 times

Advertisements

I don't like the idea of categorizing people, but most people are not offended by a chamber of commerce dedicated directly to their race, gender, sexuality, etc.

One thing that does get on my nerve is when people try to exclude others by only mentioning one race (gender, etc). For example, UTSA is constantly boasting about how many degrees they award to Hispanic students compared to other universities around the country. I am Caucasian and hearing the university that I pay to attend brag about only the Hispanic students can be irritating. Of course I think it is great that many Hispanics are awarded degrees at UTSA, but we don't live in a world anymore where only rich white males attend college. Guess what? UTSA awards degrees to people from over 100 nationalities. Why "spotlight" the Hispanic aspect? It seems like to do so is only tearing away at a bridge we have worked hard to build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 12:02 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,901,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
major,

the business that would be picked would not necessarily be "gay owned". there are plenty of "straight owned" businesses that also want gay business. as the article stated, many if not most of the businesses are straight owned.
Quote:
"It is important to the GLBT community that we spend money on those businesses that support and empower our community,"
Sorry, that quote alone tells me that unless you actively support the GLBT community, you won't get their business.

I don't think there should be any distinction unless a business actively discriminates against any community, at which point I think it is an issue for the Better Business Bureau. I think one Chamber of Commerce that serves all communities is sufficient, and anything else is segregation. If the GLBT doesn't want to be discriminated against, they cannot discriminate themselves.

I must have the same nerve as tgannaway89, as I am sick of all these "history months" or other distinctions for any specific groups. This is America, a conglomeration of numerous cultures and ethnicities. It is OK to be proud of your heritage, but until we have a 'German History Month' and ones for every other culture and nationality out there, we are selling some people short. It is better to highlight what we are all, Americans and even Texans, and appreciate that.

So, to simplify it all, how would the GLBT community feel if there was a "Heterosexual Chamber of Commerce" established to promote heterosexually-owned businesses and consumers? I am sure it wouldn't be welcomed, but it is no different than having a Gay Chamber of Commerce...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-05-2008, 02:19 PM

126 posts, read 424,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
What about all the other non-gay-owned hotels that have never been prejudice towards their customers? Don't they have an equal right to the business that the volleyball team brings? You are picking a business based on something that should not be a consideration; as if it was the way around, the business not serving the customer because he/she was gay, it would be illegal.

Once again, you've proved that it is discrimination, no matter what you call it.

Cheers! M2
It has nothing to do with prejudice or whether or not a hotel is gay owned. Sure any hotel can provide the bare minimum service for gay customers. However many people/groups want to be sure that they are welcomed and the establishment is going to go out of their way to make them feel welcome... This is business we are talking about not government services and NOBODY has an equal right to business, thats something that is earned.

I'm guessing most of the businesses that join the chamber are NOT going to be gay owned, just interested in courting gay customers.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,976,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
So, to simplify it all, how would the GLBT community feel if there was a "Heterosexual Chamber of Commerce" established to promote heterosexually-owned businesses and consumers? I am sure it wouldn't be welcomed, but it is no different than having a Gay Chamber of Commerce...
I think this argument, which has appeared more than once in this thread, is nothing more than a straw man. It is always considered unseemly in this country for majority groups and businesses to further the advantage provided by their majority status. That's why there are many laws on the books, such as anti-trust laws, which are designed to prevent that from happening. Minority chambers of commerce are allowed and even encouraged, because they reduce the advantage of the majority.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:31 PM

778 posts, read 2,494,286 times
Why don't we just have Sears and no JC Penny or Dillards or whatever in a mall? Why do we have to have Burger King when there is already a McDonald's? No need for Taco Cabana, we already have Taco Bell, right?

The reason is that consumers come up with whatever reasons to often choose one business over another for roughly the same exact product. It could come down to price, but more often, it comes down to a person's comfort level with a store they have established a relationship with. This in no way limits one's ability to shop other stores, my point is that most of us have a favorite.

Why do some businesses choose to advertise only in the newspaper and never on radio? And for that matter, why do businesses choose some radio stations to advertise on and not others? They have a target audience that they want to get into their shops. Oh sure, they'll gladly take any customers, but they think they can get the most bang for their advertising dollar from a target audience.

To suggest that a Chamber who organizes based on race or sexuality or nationality should just get with the program and join the melting pot is unrealistic in this competitive market. Of course, any Chamber of Commerce should have seemingly common goals, but the fact is, not every Chamber is made up of a membership that shares the same common interests, even if they should be. Hence, the reason so many other Chambers have been established.

Unless there is something inherently wrong with having more than just a Sears and more than just a McDonald's and more than just a Taco Bell, more than one church per county and one TV station per city, I see nothing that would make me think a Chamber of Commerce for Gay friendly businesses is anything more than people seeking to accommodate another potential stream of income.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:46 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,805,892 times
Overall, I think it's bullocks... And I'm gay.

I agree that by separating ourselves and ghettoizing the notion of 'being gay,' we don't move forward as people. We just get wrapped up in the lifestyle and never fully leave the bubble.

I've lived in NYC, Chicago and LA: I've seen it happen to MANY people. San Antonio's strength comes from the melting-pot culture we've adopted.

Not that a 'Gay' COC is going to totally ruin that vibe, but it's generally just a waste of resource, time and trouble. Just my opinion and I'm sure I'll be disagreed with heartily by many on this board...

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio