Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:56 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
...the worst you might get called is "guero" which is not even a bad word
And honestly, is there anything sweeter than being called "mija" or "mijita"? It just warms my heart when my husband's older family members call me that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 10:17 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
I was born and raised in SA, but my family came here from the Ukraine, so I am a first generation American. I spent a lot of time while growing up in New Jersey with family, I was there during the BensonHurst killing and in New York during the subsequent riots. My mom always taught me to hate Jews, and look down on hispanics, she hated black people and Asians.

I am proud to say that I married an Asian woman (so westernized she knows more about current pop culture than I do, she keeps my iPod current), one of my greatest mentors in the business world was a black man who I constantly keep in touch with, and my four best friends for over a decade are all hispanic (except for one who is half German/Hispanic, and he has his own issues to deal with). And all this happened in San Antonio. This City is the most racially accepting City, and least prejudiced city in the country. And I travel everyday for my job and I still hear racial slurs my customers make against other ethnicities in their cities that I would never hear anyone say in San Antonio.

As a side note, growing up Ukrainian (which was part of the old Soviet Union) in a decidedly conservative American culture in SA, I did get picked on and called a Communist and a Red while in elementry school, even though my family fought and fled the communist in their home country. That all stopped in Middle School. Just like they said in the Italian Job movie, Don't ever F with Mother F'n Ukrainians.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:13 AM

260 posts, read 573,431 times
I don't know what all the fuss is about! Some of my best friends are Gringos. It not their fault they are white,just like it not my fault I'm Latino.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:10 AM

179 posts, read 468,762 times
Its good to know that "guero" is not a bad word. I do find it hard to believe that when my wife calls me one that seems to like to pinch things!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:14 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
And honestly, is there anything sweeter than being called "mija" or "mijita"? It just warms my heart when my husband's older family members call me that.
Depends,
that word always reminds me of my grandmother saying something like:
"Mijito!!!!!! Stop messing with that @#$#"

Old 12-03-2008, 11:21 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementius88 View Post
Its good to know that "guero" is not a bad word. I do find it hard to believe that when my wife calls me one that seems to like to pinch things!

I always thought that was at least as derogatory as ''beaner,'' and even more so when ''pinche'' precedes it.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:26 AM

260 posts, read 573,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I always thought that was at least as derogatory as ''beaner,'' and even more so when ''pinche'' precedes it.
It all depends on how you say it.
Sometimes I call this buddy of mine mijo,which is short for mijo-ti-to.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:28 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Honestly, it's just semantics at this point - no, Hispanics are not a different race than Caucasians, but there is ABSOLUTELY a cultural difference and everyone here knows that cultural difference is what we're talking about here.

Also, try being the first white-non-Hispanic person to marry into a very large, very Tex-Mex, very Spanish-speaking family. You think moving into a neighborhood is intimidating...
My dad was one (the white one marrying into a very large Hispanic family). He loved it. He immediately became the favourite amongst all my mom's old uncles.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:29 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
It always reminded me of an annoying aunt and a really slimy uncle. For whatever reason,they were the only ones in my large Hispanic family to use the term.

It's taken me a long time in San Antonio to not cringe when I hear it, which is often.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:45 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It probably depends in what context its being used in ..... like any other word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio