Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:14 PM

796 posts, read 3,049,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdsmom View Post
Canyon Springs is in the Comal ISD & Alamo Ranch is in the Northside school district- great districts.
Not all of Canyon Springs is within the Comal ISD boundaries. The first part of it is North East ISD. I think the Links (NEISD) is the cutoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Unless you love strip malls and traffic, I would look inside the loop. For that price you can get in to Alamo Heights, which are regarded as the best schools in the city. Alamo Heights has it's own little league, soccer organization. It also has a lot of green space. You often see kids in the yards playing. This also holds true for the adjacent Northwood neighborhood, but Northwood goes to NEISD, which is also top-rated. If you are looking for something newer, Oakwell Farms is available and is Gated, has tennis courts, swimming pool, basketball courts and an equestrian center. It feeds in to the same schools that Northwood does

Old 04-04-2008, 01:36 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdsmom View Post
Sports won't be a problem in either area's I mentioned. It is very hot here in the summer, to see kids outside is rare. I noticed when we got here from San Diego, CA in 2004, I wondered where all the kids were. They were all at the pool or inside.
Not in my 'hood! I always see kids outside playing.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:10 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,746,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Unless you love strip malls and traffic, I would look inside the loop. For that price you can get in to Alamo Heights, which are regarded as the best schools in the city. Alamo Heights has it's own little league, soccer organization. It also has a lot of green space. You often see kids in the yards playing. This also holds true for the adjacent Northwood neighborhood, but Northwood goes to NEISD, which is also top-rated. If you are looking for something newer, Oakwell Farms is available and is Gated, has tennis courts, swimming pool, basketball courts and an equestrian center. It feeds in to the same schools that Northwood does
$300-400K doesn't buy much in Alamo Heights...

Old 04-04-2008, 03:08 PM

46 posts, read 163,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
$300-400K doesn't buy much in Alamo Heights...

$300k to $400k buys your a 1940s shack in alamo heights...but it will look good on the inside maybe...

You want to be in a good school district....the Alamo Heights School district is no where at good as the NEISD or the NSISD, or the COMAL....this is the reason why people want to live in the Stone Oak (SO) area...its got the best schools..

Look at Rogers Ranch and cibolo canyon areas...

Old 04-04-2008, 03:33 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiphanes View Post

You want to be in a good school district....the Alamo Heights School district is no where at good as the NEISD or the NSISD, or the COMAL....this is the reason why people want to live in the Stone Oak (SO) area...its got the best schools..
Don't know where you get your info from, but anyone who has been in San Antonio more than a year would probably say that doesn't make any sense. The reason why AH is so expensive, for one, is because the schools are so good. Full foreign language immersion programs beginning in elementary schools, small schools, and high expectations. People out of district, including people in NEISD pay to send their kids to AH.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 AM

134 posts, read 503,060 times
Moderator cut: ref removedWe live in NEISD in Walker Ranch off Blanco Rd. It is within minutes of 1604, 410, 281 & Wurzbach Pkwy. I agree w/everyone who said outside the Loop 1604 is crazy traffic especially anywhere near Stone Oak. If you don't drive during normal rush hour times it's ok or if you work from home even better. We loved Cibolo Canyons but traffic is in question for my hubby. Walker Ranch Park, Orsinger Park are real close if you live in the Deerfield, Walker Ranch Inwood area. Mcalister Park is 15 mins away for for soccer, tball & baseball. Voelckner Park is under way & will have a swimming area & looks to be a huge park facility once completed. In the meantime Lifetime Fitness is off 281 w/swimming facilities & Spectrum at Rogers Ranch has swimming too along w/the J on Wurzbach Pkwy. Outside the loop is the hot place to live in San Antonio w/beautiful homes & alot of neighbohoods w/their own park & swimming so if you don't mind traffic it is a great family area.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-08-2008 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: previous post ref removed - read TOS rules!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejf1mom View Post
Voelckner Park is under way & will have a swimming area & looks to be a huge park facility once completed.
Just wanted to correct this for the benefit of the rumor mill, since I've been to the public meetings about the park. Voelcker Park will be a great place when it is finished, but it will not have a swimming area. It will have a water play area with acequias and interactive fountains. The cost of including a pool was determined to be unaffordable with all of the other plans the city has for the park.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:49 AM

134 posts, read 503,060 times
Really, our neighborhood showed a map w/a pool & splash fountains. I think a pool would have been a good investment. What about playground facilities is that still going to be there. We moved from Dallas & San anotonio is really lacking in playground facilities. I'm glad they redid the equipment at Orsinger it is really nice now.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejf1mom View Post
What about playground facilities is that still going to be there.
If I recall correctly, there will be at least 2 play areas, but I don't recall seeing any details about the equipment they would include.

My post #8 in this thread includes the details in my notes from the meeting last month. I hope to find out more specifics about the city's plans at the next meeting on April 30.

By the way, I'm surprised you didn't mention Walker Ranch Park on West Avenue when you were listing parks in North Central SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio