Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,576 times

Advertisements

We are moving to San Antonio and have 3 children, 2, 4 & 12. We want a neighborhood where the kids are outside playing together. We're a very sporty family, so near parks, green space etc. would great and terrific public school is a must. Our budget is between 300-low 400K. How about organized local youth sports leagues, active families?

Any advice/suggestions?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,744,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollymon12 View Post
We are moving to San Antonio and have 3 children, 2, 4 & 12. We want a neighborhood where the kids are outside playing together. We're a very sporty family, so near parks, green space etc. would great and terrific public school is a must. Our budget is between 300-low 400K. How about organized local youth sports leagues, active families?

Any advice/suggestions?!?
Please check out The Quarry at Iron Mountain in Stone Oak. There are eight inventory homes right in that price range that are incredible. If you want to build you can still build with lots of available lots. That said - the inventory homes are of a nicer line of home that is no longer offered. Check it out. The community is off Hardy Oak just north of Sonterra.

I am building a home in that community and hope to move in by mid June. There are lots of kids with most families in the mid 30's. The neighborhood has a pool and play area that is very nice. My sales person is Tish Lowe. She has always been eager to help.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Remember that it gets hot here in the summer, so outdoor activities are best conducted in the shade and near a pool during the hot parts of the day. Look for a neighborhood that has a rec center and a pool.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:19 AM

759 posts, read 3,688,852 times
If you want established neighborhoods, look at Deerfield and any of the Inwoods.
Emerald Forest is another good choice- outside the loop but without the horrible traffic. Excellent schools...

Old 04-04-2008, 09:50 AM

46 posts, read 184,026 times
Default Alamo Ranch?

Hi There...

We are moving to San Antonio this July and like many of the same things you do. Having 4 girls (6, 4, 2, and 2 months) a family friendly neighborhood is a must. We chose to build in the David Weekly neighborhood (70's) in Alamo Ranch. The house is turning out great and we couldn't be more pleased! W'eve heard that there is a great sense of community already, but have yet to experience that first hand. Where will you or your spouse be commuting for work? That will have a lot to do with your decision.

PM me for more info if you like! We have lived in San Antonio in the past (for five years).

Blessings,
HW

Old 04-04-2008, 10:26 AM

A couple of things to think about:

- first off you are definitely looking in a good price range. $300-400K will get you into some very nice neighborhoods.
- if you want established then some of the ones mentioned are very nice. You could also add Vista del Norte (which is near Deerfield). My parents live there and it is a great location inside 1604. One thing to keep in mind is that an older (20 -25 years old like you will find in Inwood, Deerfield and Vista del Norte) will be much less efficient during the summer. Emerald Forest is newer and very nice - homes will be more efficient than the other communities.
- If you want new - make sure to look for communities with larger lots. The Quarry where I am building has lots that start at 1/4 acre and up.
- There are many communities in your price range up Highway 281 outside 1604 but the traffic can be a nightmare.

I have lived here since 1994 - if you have questions PM me.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Remember that it gets hot here in the summer, so outdoor activities are best conducted in the shade and near a pool during the hot parts of the day. Look for a neighborhood that has a rec center and a pool.
The Quarry has a great pool and multiple covered areas with lots of tables. Great shade and the builder left lots of trees on the lots.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:57 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,424,653 times
It really depends on what exactly you're looking for in the type of home and land. Do you want more land, a certain style of home, etc. There are some great neighborhoods all over the city. Where will you be working? Or will you at all?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:47 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,906 times
Cibolo Canyons is worth a look - Find A Home: Cibolo Canyons Ranch (http://www.cibolocanyons.com/findaHome.aspx - broken link)

Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 AM

247 posts, read 843,785 times
I would look at The Summit at Canyon Springs, I like Alamo Ranch area too. Traffic getting to and from either one is horrible so if that is an issue, a previous poster mentioned Deerfield and Inwood-both established areas, closer to town and easier to get to with different routes and short cuts in and out to be had. Canyon Springs is in the Comal ISD & Alamo Ranch is in the Northside school district- great districts.
Sports won't be a problem in either area's I mentioned. It is very hot here in the summer, to see kids outside is rare. I noticed when we got here from San Diego, CA in 2004, I wondered where all the kids were. They were all at the pool or inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio