Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:01 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,312,538 times

Advertisements

I hope this image comes through. This is a birds eye view of 313 Cameron where Joan Crawford's parents were living in 1900. Does anyone recognize this building? It looks like it used to be old apartments....maybe later converted to a church (see side building with ramps)....but it appears to be boarded up and abandoned now. I haven't down that street in a while, so I can't quite place it.

The apartments possibly look "turn of the century"....but on the back side there is an older very small house that does not face Cameron. The census record did not appear to be that of an "apartment" house, so it's possible this building might not be that old. They could have moved to the Cherry St. location by the time "Joan" Luciel LeSeur was born.

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible

Let me know if this comes through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 01:54 AM

50 posts, read 168,289 times
Since Mamie Eisenhower was mentioned, this thread has expanded beyond movies and television.
Personally, I'd like to see more things named after San Antonio native, Gregorio Ezparza. Texas has only one school named after Esparza, and dozens named after racist, slave-owning, imperialist Anglos.
The last Alamo movie was the best so far, but no movie will ever get it right, until the Esparza family narrative is fully included.
I'm certainly pleased that of the two Alamo defender portraits still remaining in the Alamo Chapel, the portrait of Esparza is the first you see walking through the front doors.
Esparza was added to Texas 4th grade textbooks only after reviewers took exception to his absence. Even then a picture of his son Enrique, as an old man, is captioned Gregorio Esparza.
There's a deposition in the Land Office archives in Austin, given in support of Espzarza land claims which is quite eloquent and I wish I had it handy to quote correctly, but basically it states that: it is well known among the Tejanos of San Antonio that Gregorio Esparza fought bravely, died gallantly with the other "Valiants" of the Alamo, Bowie, Crockett, Travis....
A true San Antonio Star: Gregorio Esparza

Old 09-16-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepwebster View Post
Since Mamie Eisenhower was mentioned, this thread has expanded beyond movies and television.
Personally, I'd like to see more things named after San Antonio native, Gregorio Ezparza. Texas has only one school named after Esparza, and dozens named after racist, slave-owning, imperialist Anglos.
The last Alamo movie was the best so far, but no movie will ever get it right, until the Esparza family narrative is fully included.
I'm certainly pleased that of the two Alamo defender portraits still remaining in the Alamo Chapel, the portrait of Esparza is the first you see walking through the front doors.
Esparza was added to Texas 4th grade textbooks only after reviewers took exception to his absence. Even then a picture of his son Enrique, as an old man, is captioned Gregorio Esparza.
There's a deposition in the Land Office archives in Austin, given in support of Espzarza land claims which is quite eloquent and I wish I had it handy to quote correctly, but basically it states that: it is well known among the Tejanos of San Antonio that Gregorio Esparza fought bravely, died gallantly with the other "Valiants" of the Alamo, Bowie, Crockett, Travis....
A true San Antonio Star: Gregorio Esparza
Please tell us more about Esparza. BTW - is it Ezparza or Esparza?

Old 11-24-2008, 10:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,206 times
I would not go so far as to say Joan Crawford was a beloved San Antonian!
Thomas Gibson and Tommy Lee Jones NOW that is a differant story!!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:56 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,271,652 times
There used to be a poster in the SA Airport (old terminal) that said the first email ever sent was in San Antonio. I did a little research and found out that most news outlets believe that it was this guy who sent the first email, but I can find no ties to him and San Antonio. I will track down more info on this, but if this is true, then forget CB and JC, this person may be only second to Bill Gates in terms of impact to modern lives.

The First Email Message - About Email

Old 11-25-2008, 03:42 PM

898 posts, read 2,884,921 times
Shawn Michaels is one of the most popular wrestlers in the history of wrestling. he should have a street named after him.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:14 AM

9 posts, read 33,974 times
[quote=smitty12;3649273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamocitygirl View Post

I doubt Gomer Pyle or Charlie Chan did anything, they are fictional characters.... Bandera Rd and Wurzbach is Leon Vally not San Antonio I think... Maybe the Leon Valleites adopted them
It is Oak Hills Terrace subdivision between Evers and Babcock off Wurzbach. this subdivision is in San Antonio. It is right on the boarder with Leon Valley.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanSarah View Post
I would not go so far as to say Joan Crawford was a beloved San Antonian!
Thomas Gibson and Tommy Lee Jones NOW that is a differant story!!
I've never met Tommy Lee Jones....but several on this forum have and he has not made the best impression. But I'll leave the details to those with close encounters.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:52 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,271,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I hope this image comes through. This is a birds eye view of 313 Cameron where Joan Crawford's parents were living in 1900. Does anyone recognize this building? It looks like it used to be old apartments....maybe later converted to a church (see side building with ramps)....but it appears to be boarded up and abandoned now. I haven't down that street in a while, so I can't quite place it.

The apartments possibly look "turn of the century"....but on the back side there is an older very small house that does not face Cameron. The census record did not appear to be that of an "apartment" house, so it's possible this building might not be that old. They could have moved to the Cherry St. location by the time "Joan" Luciel LeSeur was born.

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible

Let me know if this comes through.
I can't see that house. Is it on the left or right side of Cameron in this view?

Old 11-28-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I can't see that house. Is it on the left or right side of Cameron in this view?
GW....It's actually an apartment building I think. I keep forgetting to drive by to see it in person when I'm downtown. If you look it up on Virtual Earth it's on the NW corner of Cameron and Travis. For some reason these links don't always come through....I think it depends on the brower compatibility...but don't quote me on computer technology! Anyway....you can get a better look at it from all angles with the "birdseye" feature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio