Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:55 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Please tell us more about Esparza. BTW - is it Ezparza or Esparza?
Here you go, a TRUE hero of the Alamo:

Handbook of Texas Online - ESPARZA, JOSE MARIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 06:38 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Here you go, a TRUE hero of the Alamo:

Handbook of Texas Online - ESPARZA, JOSE MARIA
Thanks Wehotex. Very touching story of his brother retrieving his body to allow him to be buried properly. It's tragic that so many were tossed on a funeral pyre like garbage.

I remember the story about the boy witnessing the battle but I didn't realize it was Gregorio Esparza's son.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:32 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
What about Joan Crawford street

Old 03-28-2009, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,503 times
Default Oh! Mr. Russell, Yes Mr. Kline (TV Commercial)

Does anybody remember the TV Commercial (animated) aired in San Antonio, TX back in the 1970's that had 2 guys singing OH! Mr. Russell, Yes Mr. Kline. Can't remember the business they were promoting/advertising.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:55 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldtimes View Post
Does anybody remember the TV Commercial (animated) aired in San Antonio, TX back in the 1970's that had 2 guys singing OH! Mr. Russell, Yes Mr. Kline. Can't remember the business they were promoting/advertising.
Try posting in the Gone But Not Forgotten thread. Those posters know their stuff!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:16 AM

361 posts, read 924,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Exactly. Those stars did not honor our city and we should not honor them. Our city usually has had some collective desire to have a claim to fame in Hollywood and the like but we should let it go and highlight our best features instead of imagining ones that do not exist.

No more wire hangers!

That's a little mean. Maybe they don't feel respected by their home towns, so they felt no loyalty to a city that has no loyalty to them?

Quote:
I've never met Tommy Lee Jones....but several on this forum have and he has not made the best impression. But I'll leave the details to those with close encounters.
I saw him jogging a few years ago, and I don't know the experiences others had, but I thought he was a really nice guy.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 14,337 times
Default Serna Elementary

I was a student for 1 year at Serna Elementary on Loop 410 back around '73. If anyone remembers, I was in Ms. Copelands class. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the old white house just adjacent to the school. It was on the West side, and back then it was in disrepair. Being young, we all thought it was haunted, and if you kicked the ball over the fence during kickball/recess, you were screwed. Any info?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:16 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,837,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldtimes View Post
Rosow and Kline were in the real estate business back in the late 70's and early 80's. The Rosow part was originally started by the mother back in the 1920's or 30's. Her name was Eva Rosow and she rented an office on S. Presa from my granfather, corner of Presa and Halliday. At that same location my granfather (C.B. Farris) leased the space to a Sinclair service station.

The son and an associate (Kline), took over the business after Ms. Eva Rosow grew ill. She was successful for about 40 years, the son and partner didn't last.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:21 PM

If you want to honor someone, honor Patrick Sylvestor McGeeney, known as the Purple Sage. He founded the Shamrock Photoplay Corporation in San Antonio in 1917 and went on to produce many silent films made here in San Antonio and some of the surrounding areas. McGeeney originally founded the Lone Star Company, a film production company in 1915. This company was reorganized into Shamrock in 1917. He was always talking about San Antonio to anyone who would listen. He made many trips to Hollywood and was responsible for four big budget pictures being filmed in and around San Antonio in the 1920's, including "Wings" with Gary cooper's first appearance. Wings was the first picture to win an Academy Award for Best Picture of the year, 1927. Others included The Big Picture, The Rough Riders, The Warrens of Virginia.

McGeeney had a home about two blocks north of San Pedro Park and he had his studio around the park and used the park for filming.

The young woman in the second photo was Blanche McGarity, (a San Antonio native) one of Mcgeeney's favorite stars. Both images from the book, Purple Sage by Glenn Shirley.

Last edited by gy2020; 06-26-2009 at 04:46 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 04:44 PM

Here are some pictures I shot back in the 90's. There are two views of Patrick McGeeney's home on N. Flores Street. I can't remember the address but it is one block north of W. Ashby Pl. the third photo shows the San Pedro playhouse in the background. This was taken from his house on N. Flores St.

Two views of home:

Looking back towards San Pedro Playhouse:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio