U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 02:00 AM

45,183 posts, read 64,639,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Wait.....if they're already making less than minimum wage, how is an increase going to benefit them? My grandson - at 17 - is making $8/hr flipping burgers, and has worked there less than 60 days. He's up for a $1/hr raise because he's applied himself and has become a trainer for new-hires. He's a senior in HS - so tell me again about where the minimum wage jobs are.....

Burger flipping is a HS job....NOT a career - but lots of folks too lazy to go out and apply themselves sure try to turn it into one.
People tend to assume that flipping hamburgers are the lowest paying jobs. They are not. Cleaning or laundry jobs pay less, and there are very few prospects for advance. We have people at the hospital who get paid minimum wage or LESS for many years. We have a dishwasher who is with the hospital 19 years now and works for $9, because people working those jobs don't get annual raise like others do. They don't get tips either.
Many have no GED, came from across the border, don't speak any English, or have not the sharpest mind, most are women and they get pay 60% of men's wages anyway - but all those people have families to feed and rent to pay. No one stands up for them. Not only they are too intimidated to complain, but many can't afford to loose their job. They know that they are easily replaceable.
And their supervisors get bonuses if they keep the departments costs low, so why even bother.
Roofer's helpers, farm hands, childcare workers, day workers, cashier's, lobby attendants etc. mostly get just a minimum wage, poor benefits, if any and no vacation time. Everyone wants to pay as little as possible. From failing to pay overtime to not giving meal breaks, there are numerous ways for employers to cheat workers out of money.

Are those people exploited? Of course! But many don't have cars, education/skills, or are not bright enough to do better than that. They work two jobs and have no time or stamina to go to school and improve themselves.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 06:34 AM

14,637 posts, read 32,343,951 times
I would work a minimum wage daycare job for about 2 days before I walked into Target and saw they are paying $12 an hour. With bennies. It's not going to get me rich but at 40 hours a week I'm looking at getting a $200 a week raise. There's no excuse for staying in a minimum wage job in 2019. Hell even most high school kids have that figured out.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:43 AM

1,980 posts, read 1,525,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I would work a minimum wage daycare job for about 2 days before I walked into Target and saw they are paying $12 an hour. With bennies. It's not going to get me rich but at 40 hours a week I'm looking at getting a $200 a week raise. There's no excuse for staying in a minimum wage job in 2019. Hell even most high school kids have that figured out.
Just to make sure I understand: People who work minimum wage jobs are stupid and it’s their own damn fault for taking the job, so there’s no point in raising the minimum wage. Did I get that right?

I’m curious how many full-time-with-bennies positions Target has. I thought most retailers kept workers below 30 hours a week so they don’t have to provide bennies.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:13 PM

Being dependent upon the government or liberals to make sure you have enough money or food is foolish. I'm not sorry that my opinion hurts your feelings.

At what salary should we all be? What's going to make everyone happy? Why $15 an hour? Why not $20 or $30 an hour?

Old 12-31-2018, 01:15 PM

And where did I say anyone was stupid? Your feelings are getting in the way here.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:01 PM

6,768 posts, read 10,022,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Just to make sure I understand: People who work minimum wage jobs are stupid and it’s their own damn fault for taking the job, so there’s no point in raising the minimum wage. Did I get that right?
Well, the first part of your statement was actually made by someone else, who pointed out that they have no skills/ability, and (apparently) are too stupid to gain any. I guess no one's every heard of apprenticeship programs, trade schools or self-taught people. As many have said (and done) - get out there, learn a trade and earn YOURSELF out of poverty. If you're in a job that doesn't have a future, find one that does. Is it easy? No - but I'll tell you from personal, first-hand experience - someone wanting to get ahead and willing to make the extra effort to learn can do VERY well for themselves in this city. If you're the type that views a job as just a paycheck, you're gonna get what you deserve - but there's PLENTY of space out there for someone willing to go the extra mile.

And, yeah - there are those of us out here that actively LOOK for the folks trying to better themselves, to mentor them and help guide them to a better life and future. Thing is, most of 'em just give lip service, then go back to the corner to cry about how unfair life is.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:29 PM

502 posts, read 266,797 times
I think that the real problem in San Antonio is that the public education system does not work very well for a large portion of the population. It would be better if schools could really prepare kids to succeed in life.

I know where I went to school didn't really do that for me and as soon as I graduated I felt like I was thrown to the wolves as far as being prepared to succeed economically/professionally in life. I know many local people that feel the same way.

Many people will say that it's not the schools job to make sure students are successful, that it's the parents job. Many of us didn't have parents that had the resources to teach us things like that, their parents didn't have the resources, it's just a cycle.

I think raising minimum wage may or may not be something beneficial but reforming education would be even more beneficial in the long run.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:35 PM

6,768 posts, read 10,022,487 times
Without a doubt, the current education system is a farce. We need to acknowledge that everyone isn't a genius - that some ARE less academically gifted than others. Rather than try to funnel everyone towards college only, we need to offer an alternative like we used to - electronics, mechanics, building trades, plumbing, HVAC. NONE of those trades will ever go away - and some of the "dumbest" folks I've ever known have become some of the best in their respective fields - the proverbial round peg in the round hole.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
And where did I say anyone was stupid? Your feelings are getting in the way here.
This part:

Quote:
There's no excuse for staying in a minimum wage job in 2019. Hell even most high school kids have that figured out.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Being dependent upon the government or liberals to make sure you have enough money or food is foolish.
You've got it backwards. Employers pay so little that employees are dependent on government services just to survive even if they're working 40+ hours a week. The minimum wage used to be tied to the cost of living so that even the lowest-paid among us could be independent and afford a decent life. But no more. Now all the money is going to the rich. How about the Sears executives who are getting $25 million in bonuses to shut down the company while the employees won't even get severance pay? Sound fair?

Lots of advice that people just need to lift themselves up, get an education, and find a better job. But there are always going to be people at the bottom of the pay scale. Childcare, nursing home workers, home health care aides, school aides, etc. Sad that those are some of the worst-paid jobs in America. Can we expect those jobs to disappear? No. Do they deserve a decent living? I think so. I hope the person emptying my mother's bedpan isn't worried about keeping a roof over her head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio